Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised at all that the A9L is doing well. Ed's street cams are pretty mild, despite their ability to significantly outperform OTS grinds. Opening up the timing and fuel tables definitely can help stabilize a surging idle, though the cam itself also gets a vote on where it wants to idle, too. And depending on overlap, you may not be able to get rid of the unburned fuel smell, entirely. Like you, I would like to be able to monitor and adjust AFRs & timing in Black Jack, too, but it's definitely not worth another $1k+ system to me. Black Jack drives extremely well, though it is also smelling pig rich at idle.

I'd want something fairly plug 'n play if I do it again, i.e. nothing more than perhaps replacing the EEC box & installing a wide-band. I think the Terminator X and the equivalent MS3 box seem appealing, but I'd like to see it in action first. I have reservations about pulling the EEC out and losing other functionality. The other option would be a piggyback that still makes use of the A9L. Finally, if fuel is all you're after, there are MAFs that allow you to tweak the transfer function. The plug 'n play is because I tend to move on to other cars before coming back to another fox project & I want to be able to recoup my investment by pulling the parts I can use again in the future, such as with my T56. So, I'm not getting myself into another complete wiring harness replacement again.

Tuning too lean at idle can make off-idle performance tricky. Going lean on tip-in is the worst and results in stumbles/falling on its face, which is frustrating. Obviously, a pro tuner like @a91what will be more capable than I am at resolving this kinda stuff. For me, I have the advantage of being able to play with it endlessly in my other cars and gradually improve the tune in every weather/environment over time. Anyways, I look forward to hearing how low you are able to stabilize Ed's cam & hearing about your experiences with the MS3 system. I suspect you're going to turn into a tuning guru over time, too.

• Sponsors (?)

I suspect you're going to turn into a tuning guru over time, too.

That's kinda why i want to play with it too. I really like the concept of total control and such. Last thing i want to do is "overtune" the car and constantly be tweaking something, but i'm looking forward to a more indepth understanding of fuel injection systems and part of that comes from getting one's hands dirty so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Installed correctly you will lose no functionality....

My MS3pro controls nearly everything in the car.. AC compressor cycle, fuel pump, fans, tones of sensor inputs, traction control and the list goes on.....
You want a real in depth tune?
--Main VE table tuned in ALPHA-N
--Secondary table based on %BARO [map sensor zero'd based on BARO reading] -- you can have same throttle position and different map
--Blend tables [1 and 2] to tables [3 and 4] based on GEAR for the changing load -- this can also be used for Ethanol content blending
--Use ethanol content sensor for FUEL TEMP - yes this has a real measurable effect on the tune
--Tune baro correction table if need be
--Install a AMBIENT air temp sensor and build a correction curve based on FLOW for MAT temps -- this has an effect on heat soak.

Now thats just fuel.... IGN tables can be done much the same way as an engine can have as much as 3* more advance in lower gears.
Blending for E85 between tables is crucial as E85 does NOT like more advance under vacuum...
TPS based secondary modifier table for ignition is helpful for creating a low speed tip in retard this will let you remove timing based on throttle position for fast acting response that makes for a nice crisp tip in.

Anyway most of the above is not needed for a good tune... most guys do a basic SD tune for both fuel and spark and never look back. The longer i tune the more creative and complicated my tunes have become... as always you have to fit the tune type to the need of the customer.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks Steve, I’m not gonna do anything fancy. Just a SD tune. I have two widebands.

Only thing stopping me is I just need to fab up the adapter harness from the MS3X box to the stock ECU connector. Just need some quiet nights to do that.

OK.

Shopped my Taurus at Carmax/Carvana to see what they would give me. Results were not good. $2400 and $2600. No idea what the dealer will offer in trade until we go in to pick up the new car.

I'm still buying the new car, but do I keep it as a beater, or cut my losses and let it go. I dont want to put any more money into it, but at the same time, if a wheel bearing starts humming, i can't not fix that.

I have 6-8 weeks to decide what to do before the new car comes in. We don't need 4 cars, but at the same time I was expecting $4-5K for it from Carmax. That few grand won't hurt me, but I think giving away a running driving car for $2K today is crazy.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
OK.

Shopped my Taurus at Carmax/Carvana to see what they would give me. Results were not good. $2400 and $2600. No idea what the dealer will offer in trade until we go in to pick up the new car.

I'm still buying the new car, but do I keep it as a beater, or cut my losses and let it go. I dont want to put any more money into it, but at the same time, if a wheel bearing starts humming, i can't not fix that.

I have 6-8 weeks to decide what to do before the new car comes in. We don't need 4 cars, but at the same time I was expecting $4-5K for it from Carmax. That few grand won't hurt me, but I think giving away a running driving car for $2K today is crazy.
Based upon the experiences I had with an [aging] Taurus... I'd dump it. In the end, it will be better for health and sanity. Spend that $2500 on a reliable "beater" that has crank windows, an engine, and an A/C (like an old Toyota or Datsun or something).

Somebody like you can turn that kind of a beater into reliable transportation with what I think that you would consider to be, minimal effort.

• Agree
Maybe I missed it somewhere but what are you replacing the Taurus with?

I bought the wife a '23 Honda CRV. I'm going to take her vehicle ('17 Traverse) in the meantime and get myself something down the road. I already know what I want.

I was going to use the Taurus as a tradein, but not for $2K. At the same time, i don't want to keep fixing it or putting money into it. I have 6-8 weeks before the new car comes in to see what i'll do.

Technically the dealer hasn't given me a number yet. I went to carmax/carvana to put an offer in my pocket first and got low-balled. Honesltly, if the dealer offers me $3K i might take it. $1500...i'm keeping the car. At this moment in time, it's mechanically sound and needs nothing. 2 months from now...i don't know.

So, 6-weeks to try and sell it locally?

I need it right up to the day we bring the new car home. So really I need to know my plan in 6 weeks.

I don't want to sell it locally. Starting to get a cold-start rattle which is concerning me. I don;t want to deal with selling a possible headache locally. Its what prompted the decision to punt and get a new car.

I don't need a 4th car, and do not want to put more money into it. I don't even want to pay for insurance on it anymore

I think i know which way i'm leaning. Hoping the dealer throws me a bone in a few weeks.

My buddy got offered more money by Give Me the VIN .com than Carvana, Carmax or the dealership. Might be worth the try. He used to sell cars and said the used car market is getting softer by the day.

I tried carvana. A couple hundred bucks more.

I think I got my answer. Trans did a weird thing on my ride home. Wouldn’t downshift out of 3rd from a dead stop. Never did it again.

I’m dumping it. Gotta hold off 6 weeks! Gotta clean it up nicely and try and convince the dealer to give me 3k

Fortunately I’m on vacation for 2.5 weeks of that.

Meanwhile my wife’s been extra nice to me lately. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 1 users
You are making me feel lucky we got $7100 for the explorer (114k miles 2013 limited).
As soon as i heard water pump, that car was already gone in my mind.

I've done the beater thing, financially it doesn't make sense if in general you take care of you cars.
Insurance, tires, registration and odds and ends add up to multiple car payments a year.
4wd beater pick up truck? Maybe, though i found it easier to sell 2 vehicles and buy one nice truck.
Beater taurus? Absolutely not, so you are making the right decision to dump it.

Status
Not open for further replies.