Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who did you buy the Daniel Carpenter lens through? I can't seem to find anyone.

national parts depot. $30 plus ship

Or

• Sponsors (?)

Ok. Woke up, decided to do it. While people delete parts, I add them on. Started getting the parts I needed. I think I've got 90% of them, but there will be a few tough ones to track down, like the contact fingers on the column, and the brake vacuum dump switch retainer bracket.

Scope Creep...this is why projects take forever.

Reactions: 1 user
That will justify buying the welder even more...

Welder has already paid itself off. It owes me nothing after the frame rail repairs I did with it. But need to pull the assembly out to do it. I was just hoping I could reach up under the dash and just install the parts. Guess not. I'll see if someone is selling a pedal box frame only. The Auto pedal boxes are not the same.

Not a big deal. my dash is only partially installed just in case I had to remove it again for some reason. I can pull it real quick and swap all this stuff in.

Need to get trans up and in and the driveshaft and new Stiffler's X-member installed in the next few weeks, so I have time to track down all the parts I need to do a quick install.

Radio buttons (volume, channel, mute)
Combination Switches for fuel cutoff
Oil Slick / Smoke Screen / Ejection Seat / Super Persuit Mode :shrug:
Cell Phone Buttons (Google, Dial, Answer, Decline)

What else... :chin

Trigger button for semi and rapid.......oh dang it thats super illegal. Shhhhhh !!!

Hey @TOOLOW91 . I’m getting ready to paint my needles.. if I recall, you painted the tops of yours, right?

i pulled apart one of the 85mph speedos I had. Here’s the detail on the needle. When I did mine, I removed the white with nail polish remover, and then repainted them the exact same pattern. They are painted on bottom Only

1A1300F8-41C0-435F-8E3C-31AA8C7800B9.jpeg

I was gonna play with this a bit and see if there’s any way to get the glue off the face, reglue it or maybe change it do they light up a different color if I sandwich a clear plastic in between.

I really like white numbers on a black face and blue needle

F9FA3A9A-9EAB-4EC5-8315-75BD8A434AD5.jpeg
043E2139-404F-4627-B9D4-6CA117FED43B.jpeg

I was going to try to install my trans this weekend, but my Stifflers x-member hasn’t shown up yet. Delivery services are really running late lately and holding me up.

Reactions: 1 users
Did some FB searching. The one good thing about FB is when you request a picture, 50 people are eager to show you their stuff. Most of it is on topic.

anyway, found a few old threads with pics. Most look like poop, but a couple look promising. I’ll likely buy some EBAY leds and give some a try.

I have a spare 140 cluster, so I’m going to try painting some needles and trying some LEDs or a way to display different colors. Maybe a colored plastic sandwiched under the face.

blue looks...jury’s out. Pictures of lighting never display the true look. Need to see in person. Needs some tweaks. Gonna go paint a needle red and see if I have any blue LEDs
A572D33E-F473-4409-B7AF-9C3974B37C84.jpeg

Playing with a needle. A little nail polish remover (acetone) on a q tip takes the white paint off easily.

Use sparingly. Too much will damage the needle (cracks)

DF08A167-DF11-40C1-B4AC-C92E8A14C69D.jpeg

I grabbed whayever paint I had handy. Wife had some red acrylic artsy fartsy paint so I used it. I just painted the bottom. Needs a few coats to be thick enough to glow evenly. You can see I didn’t paint the center hub portion to allow light to shine up and disperse into the needle

CB01D337-E1F3-4B37-8079-432D9A8FD397.jpeg
A577560F-F7DA-43C1-803E-0E00CF4A7BE3.jpeg
BAF6B62E-1299-434B-B490-EDAEB1C7CDA3.jpeg

Now to go see what I can find for LEDs

Last edited:
I’ve been planning on doing this for a while.. about a year. Last month I was lucky to find some Testors Flouescent orange in stock at a micheals in Arizona while on a work trip. (It’s out of stock everywhere.)

anyway, how critical is it to match up the needles to where they were? How can you be sure that they’re in the correct place? I saw your comment on using tape, which seems easy enough. I was just going to paint the top of the needles but I’m considering painting the bottoms after seeing this.

None of them are very accurate, but before you pull it apart, cycle your key on and off with the car ice cold and you can see where they sweep and reset to. After your done, put the cluster in the car with the bezel off abs cycle key to on and reset. I usually like the tank topped off when I do this too.

Volts, oil pressure and fuel are easy. Temp I think will zero on the bottom tick of the engine is cold, but this one you will need to check.

tach points right to zero. If you move the needle around it always resets there. Easy

speedo can be easy too. On the 140MPH there’s a tick mark under 0mph. Pull the speedo rest and it should line right up. Knowing that, should be easy to reset.

245A3D4B-0C2E-4E14-8D74-B8EDCCB48712.jpeg
4874E00F-84D4-48AC-86FA-E4665330EAA0.jpeg

I’m literally playing with my spare cluster as we speak. Looks like I need to order some LEDs however

Red needle installed on my crappy parts cluster. This cluster is a hot mess of hackery, but it gets the job done as a test unit. Pretty sure a wasp built a nest in here at one point. I pulled the 140mph speedo out and will store that as 87-89 140mph speedos are tough to find.

anyway, not my first choice of color for the shade of red, but it’s what I had.

E3605ED9-7000-4FDA-B129-E04CE87F891A.jpeg

only had two white LEDs. Gets the point across though. Ford should have used red needles from the start

AE14D4B3-8151-43DF-B920-8A324AED38CA.jpeg

Gonna try to paint one blue next

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Did some FB searching. The one good thing about FB is when you request a picture, 50 people are eager to show you their stuff. Most of it is on topic.

anyway, found a few old threads with pics. Most look like poop, but a couple look promising. I’ll likely buy some EBAY leds and give some a try.

I have a spare 140 cluster, so I’m going to try painting some needles and trying some LEDs or a way to display different colors. Maybe a colored plastic sandwiched under the face.

blue looks...jury’s out. Pictures of lighting never display the true look. Need to see in person. Needs some tweaks. Gonna go paint a needle red and see if I have any blue LEDs
That looks terrible (to me, in my subjective opinion to which no one is required to subscribe).

Not digging the Blue needle.

3F10F077-1AB9-4FDD-BF74-2917DB449DA3.jpeg
14B5E486-AEB3-41E1-8314-B0EA1821FEF4.jpeg
27CFCC20-6688-498B-A58A-ECACF497AB31.jpeg

I think Red needles and white LED bulbs is the way to go. Keep it simple

there doesn’t seem to be any way to address the green tint of the faces without overpowering it with a colored LED. At that point it’s too bright.

maybe that’s why I like the LMR guage cluster. It’s white vs green
D39204CD-8EC9-4BD6-AB6A-181E127E5CD2.jpeg

Anyway, project done. Gonna paint these needles red (with Testors paint) and swap them with my other cluster when I get a chance. Already had white LED lighting in the cluster

Last edited:

I
Come to my house I'll show you in person. I got these on Amazon, and they are awsome,plus my stereo has exact blue light.

Attachments

• IMG_20191024_191940.jpg
    IMG_20191024_191940.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 1 users
Heat wave here. Yesterday 68 degrees when I went with the wife to buy a trickflow streetburner intake w/ BBK tb.
I know how bad deliveries are, hope you get them soon.

So I was browsing EBay and saw an auction for seat covers. They were ACME brand upholstery for 92-93 seats, in black. It was a $9.99 start price auction. So I threw in a bid.

a week later I won them for $28 plus shipping. I think the seller even underpriced the shipping.($20) The ACME kit with back seat retails for $400.

didn’t expect to win them. I don’t even have nor want 92-93 seats. Maybe I’ll find a junk set and recover them one day to kill a long winter and then resell the seats
A00AF995-C43E-4BD9-A504-9327D909932B.jpeg
3333CEFC-19ED-4F35-9E97-7394A4E95842.jpeg
B3E1DF18-E98A-4601-862F-149063C34666.jpeg
4599FEF7-B640-4E21-ADFB-6132A0C0C7FD.jpeg

E575C4B9-33EB-47BB-B1CA-94A7E7438256.jpeg

I said I was downsizing my parts collection. This isn’t helping.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.