With the looks of that motor, you fix that problem, you might get another 126k! Nice job!
Trying to keep my wife’s ‘19 Cherokee at that level of cleanliness/ maintenance.
Maybe change the water pump now to avoid the problem in the future? Not sure how much of a pain it is though.
that looks to be every bit as complicated/sophisticated as any BMW engine i’ve ever looked at.it’s a total PITA you have to break the engine to this point as the pump is internal and driven off the timing chains. It can be done in the car, but it’s not a quick easy job to do.
I’m sure I could do it. I just don’t think I want to
I’ve gotten quotes to preemptively change the pump and replace the timing chains in the $1500-2k range.
im also looking around for something to trade it in on, so im hesitant to spend the money now.
that looks to be every bit as
complicated/sophisticated(dumb, over-engineered, just because you can doesn't mean you should, solution in search of a problem) as any BMW engine i’ve ever looked at.
I assume you removed the distributor gear to disassemble it? Did you have to use any sort of tool to remove or install it? I have a junkyard remote TFI distributor I recently acquired and that cam gear won't budge.Ok well back at it with the car. I spent some time refurbishing some of the parts. I started with the distributor. Took it apart, cleaned it up, painted it, reinstalled all the electronics, the TFI, and got it back in the car. I'll have to snag a picture later. I was about to run the spark plug wires to the plugs, but deemed that they would be in my way for running the hydro boost hoses so I'm going to hold off. Anyway, that's one item off the list.
Next item was cleaning up the alternator. I did my 3G conversion back in the early 2000's with a 94-95 alt. Over the years it became somewhat grimy, so i wanted to refresh it. I started taking it apart to clean the case. Got the back off, the guts out, and just needed to press the rotor out of the front cover. AND then I cracked the case. Looks like i chucked it up in my press incorrectly and put a little too much force. It's done for without major repair.
I debated doing a 6G conversion (2004 V6 Mustang) or sticking with the 3G. In the end I chose to stay with the 3G so i ordered up a new Bosch alternator. The 3G is 130A and the 6G is 105-110A and a much smaller case and improved cooling. While i think 110A is sufficient power for a standard Fox with E-fan, I wanted the 20 extra amps of the 3G.
SO when that arrives, bolt in and move onto the next item.
Actually, the last hurdle before i can fire up the motor is building/installing the hydro boost lines. I can't run the power steering pump dry, so i need to hook up the lines and add fluid first. Next project coming up.