Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some free time at work today. Decided to turn the 3D printed prototype for the fuse box holder into a real part.

made a quick laser cut program.
380F3633-C4EC-4869-89A2-B4DC762D81DB.jpeg

tossed some .100” Aluminum sheet on the machine
8C50408D-C6FB-4AB4-BD81-8E78141083E1.jpeg

Viola!
C370EBFE-4EBB-4E5A-B2F5-E6B0E07EEA57.jpeg

I was gonna annodize it, but doesn’t make sense. I just need the part to not stick out like a sore thumb, so I’ll sandblast it to rough it up and paint it. Should work fine.

For those confused as to why I did this, I have a 90+ black dash in an ‘88. The fuse box in the 88 was in the dash, in 90+ it’s under it. My dash frame won’t allow the 90+ block mount to fit up properly, so I made my own

I’ll likely use the same process to fab up something for the PS fluid reservior as well.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I’d offer up to do a few things but the thing is that machine is used for production. Rarely is there excess capacity where I can hop on and do “government work”. We’ve been balls to the wall since Covid started so it might be a few months before I can get 30min on there.

Reactions: 1 user
So. Tonight’s mission was vaccum lines.

I wanted to hid them so I was trying to come up with a plan. For the EGR I left the oem line in place and tucked it under the pinch weld. I didn’t want to go too crazy here because when I go MS3 it’s going to get deleted anyway.

Don’t need one for the brake booster anymore.

FPR is off the manifold. Done

charcoal canister goes out the front and down. Easy

so all that’s left is speed control, and hvac. Given that, I decided to not mount the vac tree. Instead I’m going to simplify things. From the manifokd source, I’m going to run a single line into the drivers fender under the pinch weld. That will feed the speed control.

the hvac will need vaccum as well. What I discovered is the cowl area where the wipers are has drain holes in each corner. I’m going to route the hvac vac line into the pass fender and across the cowl on the backside of the firewall across to where the speed control is and tee into the main line.

easy enough right?

the vac line for the TAD/TAB will be left in place but plugged. In fact I’m going to mount the TAD/TAb back on the tower down low and just leave them there but all plugged up in case the EPA does anything crazy down the road. That way I can put the air pump back on pretty easily.

Also brainstorming the charcoal canister. I routed the hard line along the outside of the rail. My plan was to extend the wiring and mount the solenoid inside, but it doesn’t seem to fit up the way I’d like. Not even sure if it’s worth relocating the noid. I need to think this one over as I need to make a hard 180 with the vac line into the canister.

4B416490-67C8-4A4B-A4F8-15542E3EDD01.jpeg

You can't mount it on the fender side of that frame rail where the vent line is?
After that pic, I ended up going a different route. Pulled it all apart and trying to go in the febder. Thing is my inner splash shield is up in the attic and can’t really go up there at midnight. Too scary.

I do have a new idea though

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Picked up some vac tube on the lunch break.

Decided to mount the vac tree in the fender. I ran the large source vac from the manifold and under the hydroboost into the fender. From here, it feeds cruise, and the Hvac.
84AE7A55-30D4-4ECB-B8EE-4E2297717E87.jpeg

I split a tube to line the cutout to prevent it from cutting. From there, the line runs across the cowl. This is the route I’ll take with the windshield washer fluid line as well. I will need to secure this but it doesn’t appear it will interfere.
67F5BAC1-19C4-424F-ABA8-838C02810F29.jpeg

the line pops out on the other side.
F143CD10-5EAB-4609-9864-5664D6E389A0.jpeg

I haven’t decided yet if I’ll leave this connection in the bay or just move it to the fender. We shall sleep on it but likely it will get moved and I’ll extend the line from the hvac box to the

7EC4F678-72FB-41FB-A79C-D1282274B5A9.jpeg

Haven’t messed with charcoal canister yet. Dug the fender liners out of the attic since nobody was home (getting up there is loud and cumbersome) so I can see what I have for clearakve with vac lines and wires

Ok. Painted up the fuse bracket. Got some junk in the clearcoat, but decided to send it anyway.

I should consider making a few of these and tossing them on eBay. See if there’s a market for folks who put 90-93 dashes in the 87-89 cars like I did....

1BDED396-58D9-49D2-BBC8-CCCD53415FFC.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.