My new 66 mustang

Reaper0-1

Mar 20, 2014
So I bought a 66 Mustang and I have plans to modernize it a bit,It's a stock 6cyl 200 with a 3-speed. I'm trying to upgrade most of it's components over time as I have access to a workshop for free. One of the main things that I'm trying to switch out is the transmission, that 3-speed is not ideal for where I live(Fort Polk, Louisiana...there's a ton of hills on post). Looking for recommendation on where and what to buy for a transmission, I see a lot of T5 transmission for the 66 but this is my first time working on a classic mustang. I'm not trying to restore it, I'm trying to enhance it as this will be my daily driver on base so AC, suspension, power steering, fuel mileage is what I'm looking at. I have no A/C so...that's big on my list as Louisiana is nothing like California and tends to be moist... oh and I've anyone have tips or a direction on how to muffle or dampen the amount of noise coming from the engine. There's a ton of heat and sound pushing through the firewall and it can be distracting when you're driving.

• Sponsors (?)

a T5 conversion is simple, and kits are readily available. NPD has the very kit you need, including the transmission if you so desire. dazecars has the parts needed to convert to a hydraulic clutch if you wish to do that, a fairly simple conversion.

six cylinder engines do tend to be a bit noisy for sure, i have one in my 64 falcon. start by checking the exhaust manifold for cracks, and make sure the donut seals properly. after that a good exhaust system with a good muffler should do the trick. remember that these are not, and never were, high end cars. theyw ere designed to be built cheaply and fast. there are various sound deadening systems available though that you can use to help make the interior more quiet.

Thanks, I'm just trying to make the best of an old car, lol. I bought Noico 80 mil and its acoustic to lay down under the carpet and it should be here tomorrow. I'm looking for performance mods so I can comfortability drive it without having to think twice. Not having syncros on your trans sucks ass.

In it's current state the car drives like what you think a wagon would feel like...first gear is slow and if you're on a hill then you better hope you time it right or you'll roll back lol. Manual steering sucks, crazy smooth when driving but not when pulling out. That sway is cool till you hit a sharp turn unexpectedly and the whole car just drifts. So...if anyone has more advice on making it a more pleasant drive I'm all ears.

i get where you are coming from, i have a 64 falcon with the 170/3spd trans combination. when you are ready to think about hopping up the six, let me know i have so good suggestions for you that are not expensive, and will make that car more driveable, and get better fuel economy as well.

i get where you are coming from, i have a 64 falcon with the 170/3spd trans combination. when you are ready to think about hopping up the six, let me know i have so good suggestions for you that are not expensive, and will make that car more driveable, and get better fuel economy as well.
I mean If you have any advise better performance while keeping it cheap then I'm all ears. lol

I mean If you have any advise better performance while keeping it cheap then I'm all ears. lol

ok that depends on what you want from this car. if you are building a daily driver, the i suggest a weber to barrel conversion, the 38/38 weber is a good one for daily use, and do it as a direct mount. vintageinlines.com has the carbs and the adapters you need. then a little machine work to get things done. best to use a late model 200/250 head for this conversion as the log is larger as are the valves. you are looking for a head from 1969 or later 250 and 1971 or later 200. the only draw back is that you will have to mill the head about .075" to get the compression back up to around 9.5:1, not a big deal though.

here are a few links you will want to peruse;

this one is a general link to the tech section at fordsix.com(where i am an admin by the way)

these two will give you lots of good over all information on hopping up the six;

here is one on doing the 2v direct mount carb swap. the weber is, imo, the better choice, but i think this also covers the 2100 conversion as well. it also covers the 2v to 1v adapters as well;

if you have any questions let me know.