Mystery Machine's rebuild thread

MysteryMachine

Jun 21, 2003
Parkesburg, PA
Well a new friend had her car totaled last week. I have been trying to talk her into a stang but she keeps saying no. Well all this stang talk has been nipping away at me. Well I've been wanting to start messing with mine since the truck has been done.

I got on ebay and started searching and found a 98 GT vert. Now before you all start jumping on my ****. IF it would sell under 2000 I would sell my Explorer and snag it up. I have already been offered 2000 for my Explorer. I highly doubt the stang will sell that cheap but hey I can dream.

I had a moment tonight where the above mentioned girl kinda bothered me. I thought to myself ya know what this is a perfect time to go have some alone time with the Mystery Machine lol. I took a ride to the shed and started ripping it apart. I kinda threw caution into the wind so I'll probably need a lot of guidance when it's time to throw something back in it.

Only worked on it about an hour. I wanted to get at least the upper intake off and I got that done so I was happy.

It's probably not gonna be a steady project but at least I've done something. I'll keep this updated as I go. I still have no idea were I'm going build wise. Was talking to Mike (Low5.0) yesterday and throwing some ideas around. A 347 could be a possibility. There is just too many options.

Here's a few pics

Last pics of it being a together broken 302
IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg

TB removed

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

Upper intake removed
IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

Spacer and alt removed, Injector wires disconnected. How I left it tonight. Does anybody know where the wire on that harness goes that runs down past the WP?
IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

Parts pile so far and the poor intake on the floor
IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Nothing exciting I know. It's a start though the damn thing has only been sitting how long?

• Sponsors (?)

the harness that goes from the top of the engine to the bottom,that runs between the water pump and a/c-power sterering bracket?
i think thats for the O2 harness.

nice pile of parts good luck getting it up and running again soon
doubt it will be soon. My body is all outta wack. I'm up all night and sleep all day. Working on it will only be a little here and there unless I get strightened out
You should call it the Hulk
:shrug: Why?
Can't wait to see it finished up man, that car has a LOT of potential!
So does yours and it's still sitting :D
the harness that goes from the top of the engine to the bottom,that runs between the water pump and a/c-power sterering bracket?

thanks! that can wait for now then. I'm not gonna fight getting it off. i'll wait till the bracket is out of the way

Actually it goes to the oil pressure sending unit and ends with a connector that plugs into another harness that runs to the O2 sensor and some other things. It ends at the bottom of the front of the block, so it's easy to remove.

Actually it goes to the oil pressure sending unit and ends with a connector that plugs into another harness that runs to the O2 sensor and some other things. It ends at the bottom of the front of the block, so it's easy to remove.

Yep it only takes a second to remove.

Mystery machine, so whats the story on the car for those of us that don't know? What's wrong with it?

It was a pain in the ass but I got it to let go after messing with it.

Rj lets see. A while back I had a bad knock. I replaced the lifters and at that time put the TFS intake on. I drove it for a while and then It started knocking again. I decided I wasn't gonna mess with changing little crap here and there It was getting rebuilt. The plan at that time was to throw a worked up 514 stroker in it. However due to emissions here I would never be able to drive it. It sat for a couple years due to lack of funds and then rebuilding my Ram's engine. One day I decided to mess with the stang and I bought some crap that's suppose to stop knocking. I was gonna dump that in and run it till it blew. Well I noticed my coolant was low which I thought was odd cause I had only removed the VC's. After dumping a gallon of coolant in it I figured OK I'll change the oil then figure this out. When I removed the drain plug I was surprised buy a flood of gray water coming out of my oil pan. It sat a little more and I'm just now getting around to ripping it apart.

I still plan to put a 514 in it just later down the road after I don't have to worry about emissions

Heres the progress from tonight

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

If I still had a good ps pulley puller that would have been gone. I would have taken that sides accessory bracket off. I need to get a big wrench to get the coolant pipes off the lower intake. If I would have gotten that off the intake would have came off tonight too

Last night didn't go so well. The PS pulley fought me. Damn thing just didn't wanna come off. After I got it off the stupid bolt won't come apart. I did get the intake off though. So far everything looks pretty normal. What I don't get is the oil in the heads look fine. When I pulled the intake the oil in the valley is kinda milky. Shouldn't it all be milky?

Well the 98 I was looking at went over 3,000 so that is kinda dead in the water. However I found an 88 in RI that I'm waiting to hear back about. I got to thinking last night. I have 5.0 parts, I know how to work on them, Parts are pretty cheap. The 4.6's parts are expensive, I don't know anything about them, my parts won't fit, everybody I have talked to said they were slow. Why not stick to what I know and have parts for? That being said IF I would get another stang I'll probably get a 5.0. I would like a stang to drive while mine is under the knife. The 88 has a special touch that only I would love LOL. We'll see if he ever messages me back

Here's a couple pics. The stock red is really starting to stand out :notnice:

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

Damn thing is stuck in there:mad:
IMG_1423.jpg