Mystery Machine's rebuild thread

That's the problem you can't read the code. Does anybody have an idea how I can clean the numbers up so I can read them?

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1616.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

Somebody used weird clear braided hose :nonono: Look at all the **** built up in it :eek:

• Sponsors (?)

That sucks man! I'd bring it back to where you bought it and tell them it's not what they advertised and either A: put some greenbacks in your hand and you keep the engine or B: put all the greenbacks back in your hand and they take the engine back. Sounds to me like someone let it slip about what year they were looking for and the seller said "ohhhh yeah, that's what it is!"

Sucks man, sorry...

It was a private sale from a craigslist ad. Nothing really I can do about it. Guy said it was out of a 94 truck. For all he knows it was swapped out before his buddy got it or his buddy swapped it and didn't tell him. I'm not really that pissed about it. There was a chance I'd have to do it this way anyway so whatever. I'd just like to know what it is so I can say I have a 9? block.

It was a private sale from a craigslist ad. Nothing really I can do about it. Guy said it was out of a 94 truck. For all he knows it was swapped out before his buddy got it or his buddy swapped it and didn't tell him. I'm not really that pissed about it. There was a chance I'd have to do it this way anyway so whatever. I'd just like to know what it is so I can say I have a 9? block.

U gots a 9Dirty block. Just convert it to roller.:nice:

I think it needs to be drilled for the spider holder for the dogbones or possibly the linked lifters... small base circle cam... etc.

not 100% sure havent read up on it in awhile

For the numbers:

make sure the numbers are cleaned off well with a wire brush. Put a piece of paper over them and shade with a pencil or charcoal. Works good for some stuff... (my moms an art teacher) lol

From what I have been told if you get the retro fit kit with the spider and dog bones you have to use the small base circle cam.

If you get link bar lifters you can use any cam. I'm gonna go with the link bar ones so I have more options. I'm looking at the TFS ones.

(so Mike says)

Threw some stuff in a cart on summit. TFS 205 heads, TFS 351 R intake (75mm opening one), and TFS linked lifters and I was just under $3,130. I spend way to much money on my vehicles lol

the 205 heads I'm not 100% sold on yet. This project is already looking close to what my whole truck rebuild cost and its only for 3 parts

Ha ha I like the 9Dirty block

Look into the 190cc fast as cast TW's. They have roughly the same cross section size as a afr 205 and will make good power if done right. The TW 205's are closer in size to the AFR225 and if they are in your budget go for'em they will probably support anything you will ever need.

I would run a efi spyder or super victor efi intake on a 351 if it was me. I would also go with the 90mm tb and 4" CAI

Them heads appear to be track heads which I can't use. None of the track heads have the heat crossover option. I have emissions so I need to keep all that happy ****.

I like TFS. Never had a problem with any of their stuff. I don't really need a spyder intake, if I was using a power adder then sure. As for the tb I already have a 75mm That is basically new. Car has run less then the tb has been on it. I was just looking around and there's guys on the turbo forum making 1300 hp using a 75mm. I think I'll be fine. Plus I have a lighting MAF I bought before the car went to **** on me that I never used. Pretty sure it's an 80mm

Them heads appear to be track heads which I can't use. None of the track heads have the heat crossover option. I have emissions so I need to keep all that happy ****.

I like TFS. Never had a problem with any of their stuff. I don't really need a spyder intake, if I was using a power adder then sure. As for the tb I already have a 75mm That is basically new. Car has run less then the tb has been on it. I was just looking around and there's guys on the turbo forum making 1300 hp using a 75mm. I think I'll be fine. Plus I have a lighting MAF I bought before the car went to **** on me that I never used. Pretty sure it's an 80mm

TFS makes good stuff no doubt. I didn't realize you had to deal with emissions laws. I live in AL and we have absolutely no requirements on that so I tend to forget about that from time to time.

IMHO the 90mm TB may not make a huge difference for a mild 351 but if you had to buy it I would get the biggest one but since you already have the 75 it's a different story. The 75 mm TB on a turbo car isn't a fair comparison as the air is getting forced through it on a turbo car. A 75 mm shouldn't be much of a restriction though on a N/A 351 but if your going bigger than that I would seriously look into the 90 eventually.

ok tore most of it down today. Its down the the block and internals. They will be taken out tomorrow unless I run into problems. I did find on the rear main cap the code for the mold which makes it an 83 mold. As you all know I'm sure they could have used that mold for many years so I still need to try and fix up the actual date code.

Here's some more pics. The build up in this thing is just crazy. Having a problem with a bolt not wanting to come out. Gonna try and remove the crank with the timing cover still on and see if i can get it out buy spining the cover. It like welded itself in there.

BTW what are the little notches out of the pistons for???

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_1791.jpg

LOL here we go again. I'm having this convo with another guy. I'm talking about that little tiny notch off the edge. I thought the piston was missing a piece but they all have that tiny notch.

And yes a complete rebuild. Still not sure what I'm doing lol. I'm pondering doing a 408 now maybe lol.

oh, gotcha. That points towards the front of the engine. It's just for identifying which way to install them. There should also be a number stamped on the rod cap and rod on both, that identifies what cylinder it goes in
and, wow, there's a lot of engine sludge in those heads lol

Wow, I havent popped in here for a bit and Ive been missing out! You are so random Jinx, I love it. Personally I would sell off what you have for the 460 and just persue the 408 idea you have. Its a lot easier, and you already have a good start. Cant wait to see your progress bro!

LOL random as in when I work on it or changing my damn mind too much?

I actually haven't bought much for the 460. I have the 460 itself, motor mounts, and a chrome water neck. I still have ideas for that big bastard someday. Even if it's not in the Mystery Machine I want to put it in something lol. (I have ideas of a vintage hearse with a built BB :D OR a Galaxie 500 :nice:)

Galaxy 500 would be sweet with a 460! I meant random as in changing your mind, cracks me up man. But you know what, if youre going to go through pulling the engine, might as well go big once and get er done right if you have the funds.