Noah Ryan

Apr 15, 2017
Alrighty I'm new here. I just picked up a project mustang. It's a 3.8 V6 (unfortunately) with 209k on the clock. I mostly picked it up because it's a manual and the body is in great condition.... and it was a thousand bucks.
Here's what I would like to do. I want to build up another low mileage 99-04 3.8 and put a turbo on it. That may sound a little ambitious but I like that kind of unique horsepower. I need help as to what kind of supporting mods are needed on the 3.8? I'm thinking anywhere between 4 and 8 pound of boost preferably. I don't speak mustang really so I need very specific help. Uploaded a pic. (Very dusty, just removed from storage) Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I recently purchased a 94 with a locked up 3.8 for almost the same reasons. I wanted something to tinker with but quickly realized the motor was seized. Now I'm stuck trying to decide whether to rebuild/replace the 3.8 or upgrade to a 5.0. I don't really want to rebuild a 3.8. Seems like a lot of work for a slow car. I also don't want to deal with replacing the pcm, wiring harness, trans, rear end etc that would come with the upgrade.

Part of me wants to pull everything, scrap the pcm and put a carbureted 350 in it. Computers have taken the fun out of cars.

Oh, I had no advice for you. Just wanted to let you know that your not alone in your v6 mustang dilemma.