New to site

• Sponsors (?)

So the 2 I was going to try were either a couple cans of Gumout Multi System Cleanup, or Royal Purple Max Clean Fuel System Cleaner. Not sure which is better, or if 2 tanks of Gumout is just as good as 1 tank of Royal Purple. Recommended by Scotty Kilmer. Or here's a video he posted that's even more technical
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKGI9N_yWd0&ab_channel=ScottyKilmer
. I may try the easier methods first.

16616438359587287431478606418320.jpg

I do get the check engine light quite a bit but not steady. My wife ordered the code reader that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread from a Mustang site (not pony parts) but I'm not sure witch one it was. I'm still waiting for that to come in so I don't have any info from that yet. If it doesn't show up this week then I'll do the jumper wire and post the amount of flashes I get.... I see that line blocked off it was that way when I bought the car.....

Thanks Bart

I do get the check engine light quite a bit but not steady. My wife ordered the code reader that was mentioned in the beginning of this thread from a Mustang site (not pony parts) but I'm not sure witch one it was. I'm still waiting for that to come in so I don't have any info from that yet. If it doesn't show up this week then I'll do the jumper wire and post the amount of flashes I get.... I see that line blocked off it was that way when I bought the car.....

Thanks Bart
Still no code reader so I'll do the jumper wire in the next few days if it stops raining here

So the 2 I was going to try were either a couple cans of Gumout Multi System Cleanup, or Royal Purple Max Clean Fuel System Cleaner. Not sure which is better, or if 2 tanks of Gumout is just as good as 1 tank of Royal Purple. Recommended by Scotty Kilmer. Or here's a video he posted that's even more technical
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKGI9N_yWd0&ab_channel=ScottyKilmer
. I may try the easier methods first.

I’m glad you asked.
For chemical idle products. Look up the MSD (material safety data) sheets to see what’s actually in the bottle or can.
B12 Chemtool has had the most solvents and ones guaranteed to cause cancer in rats in California.
As a second choice, BG 44K has a good rep and some real solvents.
Gum out is weak lighter fluid. Seafoam’s best solvent is Isopropyl alcohol.
I am having trouble finding the Royal Purple MSD sheet, but like Lucas, it is likely to be a premium priced copy of another brand’s product.

Reactions: 1 user
After watching a few videos for 5 mins, I kind of like the way the seafoam one worked. There's a fine line with solvents though. Sometimes less abrasive can be better, otherwise there's plenty of other things I could run through it if I wanted. Too heavy and you could ruin something, or dislodge something too quickly that could cake on further down the line or react negatively after combustion without proper additives. Some older cars don't like 15% ethanol gasoline (Unleaded 88). And if your car can handle it, only buy it if it's substantially cheaper. For awhile it was more expensive than unleaded 87, which would be stupid to pay more for it unless there was a specific reason you needed it. The whole point of unleaded 88 was for it to be cheaper than normal gasoline due to the increased ethanol content, and for cleaner burning emissions. But it doesn't last as long as ethanol free gas, so paying more for more ethanol isn't cost effective.

I'll have to check out more videos though when it comes time.

***Looking for some advice on what to look for and what to try to change first***

So I just drove around for the first time in awhile since changing some things. I notice better throttle resopnse at low rpm after changin the fuel filter. Are you sure you changed the fuel filter correctly? I also changed thermostat, tstat housing, coolant lines and water pump. Also cleaned out my reservoir as best as I could. Not sure which one fixed the sputtering, but pretty sure this the first time my fuel filter has been changed in over 165k miles. I'll have to drive it some more to see if I notice it but so far I haven't noticed any sputtering.

After watching a few videos for 5 mins, I kind of like the way the seafoam one worked. There's a fine line with solvents though. Sometimes less abrasive can be better, otherwise there's plenty of other things I could run through it if I wanted. Too heavy and you could ruin something, or dislodge something too quickly that could cake on further down the line or react negatively after combustion without proper additives. Some older cars don't like 15% ethanol gasoline (Unleaded 88). And if your car can handle it, only buy it if it's substantially cheaper. For awhile it was more expensive than unleaded 87, which would be stupid to pay more for it unless there was a specific reason you needed it. The whole point of unleaded 88 was for it to be cheaper than normal gasoline due to the increased ethanol content, and for cleaner burning emissions. But it doesn't last as long as ethanol free gas, so paying more for more ethanol isn't cost effective.

I'll have to check out more videos though when it comes time.
Seafoam is a lot of marketing hype. It makes a good smoke show. Do you want your injectors cleaned without taking them off the car or a smoke show?