Progress Thread No Clear 92 (Lack of) Progress thread

1000007450.webp
For your viewing pleasure.
 
  • Wow
Reactions: 85GT4V
If you're asking me I skim coat upper and lower surface and both sides of the spacer, just a thin coat, it's only an airway, this way you only need to snug the bolts/studs and couple times during the first couple heat cycles,
Not hard to take apart after it has been clamped for years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DadLife0724
If you're asking me I skim coat upper and lower surface and both sides of the spacer, just a thin coat, it's only an airway, this way you only need to snug the bolts/studs and couple times during the first couple heat cycles,
Not hard to take apart after it has been clamped for years.
I highly doubt my upper and lower will stay together for more than a couple months. :nonono: seems like I'm always after some kind of problem. After I get new lifters Im gonna give your process a shot.
 
Driver door always sagged a little. Got real bad one day out of the blue. Must've exploded the last remaining bushings. All 4 of them were broken. @2000xp8 mentioned in a thread from last year about hanging a door from his garage ceiling. I park under a leanto so I just put a ratchet strap around the door and to the rafter and went up a click at a time until I could see the pins move. Tapped them out and replaced them. Pretty simple. Only issue I had was the cotter pins. I absolutely could not get them into the new hinge pins. Can the hinge pins back out without the cotters in? Im guessing the new pins weren't drilled correctly or they are a little shorter. Door closes so easily now. Very happy with the fix.

Not very good at keep track of my work with pictures. I get to working and it just slips my mind. I'll get better..... Maybe.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260927_093422840_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260927_093422840_HDR.webp
    565.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20260927_093415189_HDR.webp
    IMG_20260927_093415189_HDR.webp
    379.4 KB · Views: 5
See of you can get a clamp on the hinges to squeeze them and then maybe the cotter pins will fit. Mine didn't fit well either. In fact from the first time I did it 20+ years ago, I have a baby pin in it.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: DadLife0724
Ugh, not looking forward to doing this. My drivers side has gotten pretty bad.

Did you have to cut the pin in half with a Dremel or something or no because the pins had been replaced previously?
It really wasn't that bad. Just get good support on the door so you get it in the sweet spot and they will come right out. They were definitely replaced at some point. Pins were actually in pretty good condition. Bushings were what gave up the ghost. I got a little hung up on the fender on the top pin. My fenders are all bent and creased any ways so I just pulled the pin out all willy nilly. Actually pulled my other fenders out over the weekend. Maybe I'll do that next.... And take 2 pictures at the start of work. :doh:
 
Driver door always sagged a little. Got real bad one day out of the blue. Must've exploded the last remaining bushings. All 4 of them were broken. @2000xp8 mentioned in a thread from last year about hanging a door from his garage ceiling. I park under a leanto so I just put a ratchet strap around the door and to the rafter and went up a click at a time until I could see the pins move. Tapped them out and replaced them. Pretty simple. Only issue I had was the cotter pins. I absolutely could not get them into the new hinge pins. Can the hinge pins back out without the cotters in? Im guessing the new pins weren't drilled correctly or they are a little shorter. Door closes so easily now. Very happy with the fix.

Not very good at keep track of my work with pictures. I get to working and it just slips my mind. I'll get better..... Maybe.
I absolutely despise the fox body replacement pins with cotter pins or e-clips, yes they can back out if the hinges egged out bad enough. I switched to the threaded style pins as they replicate the factory swedged pins and provided some what of a clamp load.

Around 17 1/2 min mark in this video, he shows exactly why there so much better.


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_N0aje89mY