Paint and Body Oh boy ,another coupe to fast back conversion !

Everything will be nice and solid now ,the quarter was just overlaped and braze welded ,wasnt fun getting through those welds . Going to try to sand blast and primer the trunk area tomorrow if nothing gets in the way ,it is supposed to rain Saturday and up to Wednesday so i would have to wait if i dont get it done tomorrow

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Got it sand blasted ,couldnt get it spotless because the glue just did not want to come off . I will scrape what i can before i primer later today
20210305_122748.jpg
20210305_122802.jpg

You said "sandblast" I am going to relive the nightmare of spinning my car endlessly on the rotisserie and using compressed air inside the frame rails trying to get all the sand out now...thanks a lot. It didn't seem to matter how many times I did it...when I went to spray the epoxy and turned the car, a fine dusting of sand STILL managed to sift down...though I didn't use sand, I used crushed glass, but essentially the same thing....I think sandblasting is the most miserable task restoring a car,during, and after...not sure which is worse.

You said "sandblast" I am going to relive the nightmare of spinning my car endlessly on the rotisserie and using compressed air inside the frame rails trying to get all the sand out now...thanks a lot. It didn't seem to matter how many times I did it...when I went to spray the epoxy and turned the car, a fine dusting of sand STILL managed to sift down...though I didn't use sand, I used crushed glass, but essentially the same thing....I think sandblasting is the most miserable task restoring a car,during, and after...not sure which is worse.
I use the blasters compressor to blow the sand out ,140 pounds gets rid of a lot of sand . I have a tube that i put on the end of the big shop vac that gets the rest . But yes ,a fully blasted car will have to be spun blown out and vacuumed several times to get it out ,a rubber hammer against the torque boxes as you spin helps make the sand vibrate out

It took me all morning to level it up but it is dead on . I bought a bunch of antique railroad / house moving jacks ,they are very heavy duty screw jacks and it makes things a whole lot easier . I am ready for the trunk divider ,it is the first thing to go in or you cant get it in in one piece ,i clamped the door structure in place just to
20210306_130953.jpg
20210306_131115.jpg
20210306_131002.jpg
see how it would align ,it will be perfect !
20210306_130939.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I find this so very intimidating, to get everything lined up perfectly so it all fits as it should. I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it. I welded in new floors, inner rockers, torque boxes, and so much more but in this is crazy over my head.
You do amazing work!

I find this so very intimidating, to get everything lined up perfectly so it all fits as it should . I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking about it. I welded in new floors, inner rockers, torque boxes, and so much more but this is crazy over my head.
You do amazing work!

Measure ,measure and then measure a gain ,clamp everything together first to make sure it will line up correctly . The only problem i have ever had is one of the first ones i did had a bent down rear frame rail ,it took me a couple of days to get it set up on my frame straightener to pull the rail back into place . It really helps to have a car to measure from also