QUIETEST MUFFLER - What is the best 2.5" quiet muffler out there?

Red03Mustang

Apr 26, 2004
What is a good quiet aftermarket muffler? I have a catted X and a MAC catback, and my car is buzzing and vibrating to death. I love the sound on the outside, but I just can't take the rattlings/buzzings on the inside anymore.

Should I use Magnaflows, or maybe Flowmaster 3 chambered 50 series? I have heard the flowmaster 50s are quiet, even though Flowmaster is kind of the drone king. I am needing no drone inside the car. I had Magnaflows with the stock H at one point, and they were pretty quiet. I'm not sure how loud they'd be with the catted X I now have.

I am looking for something I can weld into the current MAC catback I have on, but if someone here knows of a decent quiet catback for around $300 that could be acceptable. Since the MAC is 2.5" I figured it would be easier to have the shop just weld in some new mufflers though.

What should I buy? Opinions please! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If you go with a catted x like the one that you have it shouldn't be that much louder then when you had the stock h and magnaflows. Maybe a tad louder but good. I know what you mean the drone gets to you after a while.

Euro sound, less muscle sound - Borla?

Also, I might want to mention that I want more of a euro sound and less muscle sound. Smooth tones, not the low rumbly sound. The X pipe added a lot of what I'm looking for. Like I said, the MAC with the x-pipe is awesome on the outside, but I just can't take the crap on the inside anymore.

The Magnaflows have a GREAT sound IMO. I might go that route.

Could anyone give me more info on Borla, since they are known to be quiet? What mufflers should I get from them that would weld into my current MAC catback? Thanks! :flag:

Magnaflow or Flowmaster 3 chamber 50 series?

Looks like it might be coming down to the Magnaflows (again) or the Flowmaster 3 chamber 50 series.

I had Magnaflows before, so I know their sound. What is a 50 series flow going to sound like, and does anyone know if they are a little louder than the magnas, or a LOT louder?

Mainly, I just want drone minimized. It can break the world on the outside, I don't care about that. :D It is the in-car drone that I hate.

Can I go wrong by picking the flowmaster, or should I go with the magnaflow? I was thinking since I had Magnaflows on before, I could try a different sound - as long as the in-car drone is gone or extremely minimized!

Borla is pretty quiet. I switched from 2 chamber flows to borlas and I went from sounding like an old school muscle car back to sounding like a slightly modified 5.0, although a bit more race/nascarish. It ALMOST sounds like my car has cats on it. I personally like it because there is no drone, cops don't eyeball me so much, and it's just not ridiculously loud. BTW this is on my hatch with a 347...

i usually bring up the dynomax, and it usually gets ignored, not a lot of dynomax fans on here for some reason, but they make a good exhaust, as he said theres no drone and they make power on the same level as the borlas and magnaflows

If you want no drone but great sound you may want to think about the Spintechs...I have the ProStreets and there is a little bit of drone at around 2100rpms but it does not last even 100 rpms...I cruise in 5th gear at 75-80 on the freeway and have zero drone. I have stock gears. But beware, with only 2 cats on your X-pipe the ProStreets are going to be loud (and I mean hear you 2 blocks away loud), so the Sportsman may be the muffler for you for muscular sound and little drone. I'm a Spintech fan all the way.

spikeGT_99 said:
i usually bring up the dynomax, and it usually gets ignored, not a lot of dynomax fans on here for some reason, but they make a good exhaust, as he said theres no drone and they make power on the same level as the borlas and magnaflows

That's true. Dynomax makes a good product for real cheap...I used to run Dynomax Race Bullets and there was no drone. A pair of 2.5 inch Race Bullets will cost you less than $70 from Summit Racing. Nice and cheap and no rust on them after sitting in the rain after I took them off for my Spintechs.

As far as the sound, my friend described it best by saying that before with the Dynomax, the thunder sounded like it was coming from the car's ass and now it sounds like it comes from the car's chest... :rlaugh: