Rear End Narrowing

• Sponsors (?)

I found a 9" rear end out of a 73 Ranchero.
I don't remember the exact dimensions, but it was quite a bit wider than a 65-66 housing. Ended of making the housing about 2" shorter than a 65-66 housing.
I had to do a little grinding on the backing plate, but that was pretty minor.

Then I called up Moser and had them make a set of 31 spine axles to fit the new housing.

Don't forget that your rear rims will need less backspacing than before.

I made the housing narrow so my rim selection would require less backspacing, giving the rim a deeper look to it. So, even though I run 16x8 rims front and rear the rear rims look wider.

I have a 66 coupe.

I have an 8.8 (yea yea I know), but it was a good price and is inbetween the 8in and 9 so it can handle what I need.

The problem is the c-clip axles. Not anymore! I found mosers that are able to be shortened and resplined for c clips.

I have a problem, which is why I want to narrow it.

When I take off hard and hit 2nd, I dip and it sounds like the rear tires rub on the fenders, because they stick out a little, and it is chewing my sidewall up (the fender lip that is..)

I want to narrow it to get rid of that, and run 15 or 16 x 10-11

Help? haha.:shrug:

Ok, If I change to 9" ends, I'll still be able to use my brakes right?

So if I do change the ends I can use regular axles? (well, ones that can be resplined)

Narrowing sounds like a good idea to fix my problem right?

If the 9" ends that you get have the same mounting pattern for the backing plates that your current rear has, then you can use your current brakes. There are, I think, three different ends you can use. "Small bearing" is what Mustangs have stock. "Big Bearing Torino style" would be my preferred choice. With these, you can use Explorer rear discs easier.