Engine Replacing A Heater Core

• Sponsors (?)

why cant a hole be cut in firewall to replace heater core in 1989 mustang just replace it with new piece of metal curious has anyone ever tried this will it work it would make a hard job simple the next time

why cant a hole be cut in firewall to replace heater core in 1989 mustang just replace it with new piece of metal curious has anyone ever tried this will it work it would make a hard job simple the next time

You maybe onto something..

I think it would be great to be able get to it through the Cowl Vent Grill somehow.:shrug: you know.. just reach in there and pull the sucker out.:D

did anyone realize this thread is almost 4 years old?

That's the BEAUTY of Stangnet Forums, people still benefit from information no matter how old it is, as long as the car remain the same...:SN:

BTW, I had my other 86 a/c done by an Certified A/C Mech. and I watched them pull the whole dash in one piece, never disconnecting MOST of the wiring (1986 convt.) and using coat-hangers to hold the dash up on the top-latches while they pulled out the heater box assembly. This was one of those days that I was glad that I snooped around looking into the shop while the guys worked.:pop:

Now I have my other 86 vert to do myself - that-is, whenever I finally get some spare time! Working like a dog lately.

This was a great post and for good reason it is a "STICKY" Post.

I changed the heater core in my 87GT years ago, i remember wishing i would have taken a pic of all the stuff i had to remove to get at it. I changed it while parked on the street in from of my house and boy was that a mistake!
After all was said and done I couldn't believe how inexpensive the core was and how ridiculously expensive labor is...but at least i knew why in the case of the hidden heater core.
Has anyone ever tried to make a simpler way to the "hack job" method? I mean incorporating a clean cut out and rivet system to aid in future exchanges?
Usually I only change the core once if at all with each fox i get but it would still be good to know if i had to do it again on the same car it would be a 20 minute process instead of 2-3 hours.
Like some previous people stated it can be done in 1.5 hours once you get familiar with it!

Thisis a GOOD question!

I was thinking the same thing. Would have been nice to have a panel to remove in the engine compartment where you could just slide it out from there; but then Ford would have missed out on all that Service Dept. Money:uzi: KILL-Hem! KILL-Hem!

Actually as engineered, the engine would be in the way, but dreams never die!

Here's what my ALLDATA says:
198793heatercoreinstruc.jpg

198793heatercore.jpg

Hope that helps.

I wonder if all the YEAR FOX MUSTANG Heater Core Assembly's are the same???? ie. 79-93 Fox.

Actually, the early ones without factory air were at least installed differently. I thought that was a question asked when I got the part - "AC or no AC/dealer air?" My 1979 with dealer air was a lot simpler operation. Remover 4 (or so) screws for the glove box, and there was a nice plate on the firewall, that once removed let the heater core fall into your lap. I was SHOCKED first time I read what it might take on my 91! This is some of the worst engineering I have seen.

You'd think by now somebody would have come out with a replacement firewall piece that you could either weld or screw in. It would make this PITA job like an hour instead of 6 hours. I've see guys hack and cut out the HVAC box and then silicone or putty it back together.

I have 3 screws out of this damn lid at this point. can not get to the passenger front screw. I think I may be cutting the cowl tomorrow and building a sheet metal piece. Ive got 4 evenings into this this already

I was really just trying to replace the evaporator for an all-new Classic Auto Air a/c system. My plan was to replace the heater core while I had it apart. After trying to figure out how to get the evaporator out for about a half -hour, I figured I'd check online. It seems you can't remove the evaporator without removing the ENTIRE HVAC box assembly. So that new evaporator will be sitting in my house for years.