Sanded right through the metal

When you say acrylic, I think you mean enamel. While good paint, it’s a bit dated. We use urethane products mostly now, polyester urethane if you want to be more specific.

Oreillys used to be a dealer for dupont products.

Look for a jibber that specializes in automotive paints, they’ll make their main money from selling to body shops, but they will sell to the general public as well. A big plus for these guys is that you’ll find they hire people with knowledge in body and paint work.

You can use a couple different primers if you want that won’t interfere with the top coats. Generally the choice is between urethanes and epoxies. I’m not such a fan of epoxies myself, though they do have a benefit of not lifting old paint jobs you might be priming over. They do harden lark a rock and are difficult to block though.

Laquer primers should definitely be avoided.
I only know house paint, only heard of epoxy and urethane as a coating, mostly use urethane for hardwood floors, and epoxy for concrete anchors. Is jibber a store or slang for something else?

• Sponsors (?)

I only know house paint, only heard of epoxy and urethane as a coating, mostly use urethane for hardwood floors, and epoxy for concrete anchors. Is jibber a store or slang for something else?
I meant to type Jobber, stupid fingers.

A jobber is just a store that retails automotive repair and refinishing materials.

Reactions: 1 user
NAPA Auto Parts carries a bunch of stuff for paint and body shops. They even have a mixing machine at the ones around here in VA.

I have had good luck ordering paint, primer and clear from Automotivetouchup.com , quality is good for the $ shipping takes a little bit though.
Tamco is also a company I've gotten products from online , they have a primer / sealer that works really well especially for adhesion to plastics.

Reactions: 1 users
So the woman came out to garage to sit in the visiting chair. Showed her picture of the reef blue or teal cobra picture. Not a fan, prefers black, we will see. Finally got the rear quarters in black. Found a pristine black dashboard from a 93. Cleaning all the other black interior parts. All I need are seats, looking for oem black cloth. I will use LMRs headliner and floor carpet, everything I've seen is just nasty and full of cigabutt burns. I definitely have something wrong with me. I saw a super duty on the side of the road up in Lebanon Maine, just quick look as I went by. Next day I saw it was a powerstroke, but an 04. Looked in great condition at first. Sold as is, 215k. Cab corners, rockers, bed, wheel arches, door pillars, exhaust manifolds, all gone, rusted pos. Frame is perfect. Just like the GT convertible in the same condition, I should have walked away, but muttered I'll take it. I'm a sucker for rusted cars sold at a discount. Just got the right side manifold off, getting dark. Will get back to the mustang later. Going to actually paint the truck as practice for the clone. Every single vehicle is or was a rusted turd. When I say on a quiet night in New Hampshire you can hear Ford's rusting, I'm not kidding.

Attachments

• IMG_20201010_180135708.jpg
    IMG_20201010_180135708.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20201010_181250612.jpg
    IMG_20201010_181250612.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20201010_181337491.jpg
    IMG_20201010_181337491.jpg
    552.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20201010_181409477.jpg
    IMG_20201010_181409477.jpg
    575.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20201010_181428167.jpg
    IMG_20201010_181428167.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 75
Anybody ever do a whole car wrap. My paint job was a DIY job and thinking about doing something with it. Luckily there doesnt looks to be rust or any body work to be done. But have contemplated painted it, but not sure 5-10k is in the cards, and in turn get something thats just ok.

Wraps that I have seen in pictures they look just like paint. This car sits inside when not driven and is really used sparingly, so I think if it looks good durability wise I can probably get it to last a long time.

I'm over that :poo:. To do a paint job right, you have to pull all the rubber and glass. Old rubber doesn't seal when you put it back in. The new stuff you get from LMR is made in China, and it doesn't seal right either. I have had so many friends piss their money down the tube going for a perfect paint job. $10k and the car leaks like a collander. The point is that we are now passed the point of "doing it right" on these old cars. That quality replacement parts to do it right don't exist anymore. Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. The vinyl they have now is so damn good, it's almost as good as a new paint job. Pay someone one time to shrink the vinyl on, and tuck the edges under the existing rubber in one day, and you can hardly notice the difference, and it's 1/3rd the cost at most. Get a chip or a tear in the vinyl, pull that one panel, and shrink a new sheet on.

Kurt
Wait a second. Is this a real thing?

Wait a second. Is this a real thing?
Hell yeah it's a real thing. You see all those rad looking paint jobs at the drag strip, or just about any racing series these days? Hint hint, it's not paint. A printer shoots all that out on vinyl, and then someone shrinks it to fit the car with a heat gun.

Kurt

Hell yeah it's a real thing. You see all those rad looking paint jobs at the drag strip, or just about any racing series these days? Hint hint, it's not paint. A printer shoots all that out on vinyl, and then someone shrinks it to fit the car with a heat gun.

Kurt
Yeah im curious on cost still waiting to hear back. I just want a plain color. Looks to be around 3-400 in material anyway. Online Im seeing they can go as high as 4k, which at that price i my as well paint it. I have no clue the amount of labor. Reasonable me says tops two days of labor at $50 bucks an hour seems fair, with with materials around a grand give or take

Yeah im curious on cost still waiting to hear back. I just want a plain color. Looks to be around 3-400 in material anyway. Online Im seeing they can go as high as 4k, which at that price i my as well paint it. I have no clue the amount of labor. Reasonable me says tops two days of labor at $50 bucks an hour seems fair, with with materials around a grand give or take
My Ex's dad used to do a whole van with graphics for $3k. It took him about a day to put it on after design and print. That was more an advertising thing. A car usually runs $2k at a local place. My friend has his foxbody in for paint, and it's going to be $12k.

Kurt

Kurt
I'm intrigued. I may be posting some pics of my paint in the near future looking for opinions and options. Keep an eye out.

I initially sanded my notch with 320 then blocked it out with 400 grit. Took it to maaco. It looks pretty good!
My foxbody is my second toy. I have a challenger scat pack that is my nice toy. My foxbody has a DIY paint job right now, at night and far away looks ok lol. I really just dont like the color and kind of want to improve it on the cheap for now until I decide what I want with the car. Thought about doing it myself, a wrap etc.
But with MAACO you bring up a good idea. I know they are always kind of a joke.
I initially sanded my notch with 320 then blocked it out with 400 grit. Took it to maaco. It looks pretty good!
second pics, single or two stage. Maaco has always kind of been a running joke. But for me my fox has a DIY paint job and its mehhh. I have no rust or damage to worry about. For me the fox is my second sports car my main is much nicer and dont really want to sink a ton of money into it. But if I can somewhat improve the paint job i would be happy. Bust maaco jobs i have seen have been maybe a step up from rattle canning it. But have heard a few good luck stories

My foxbody is my second toy. I have a challenger scat pack that is my nice toy. My foxbody has a DIY paint job right now, at night and far away looks ok lol. I really just dont like the color and kind of want to improve it on the cheap for now until I decide what I want with the car. Thought about doing it myself, a wrap etc.
But with MAACO you bring up a good idea. I know they are always kind of a joke.

second pics, single or two stage. Maaco has always kind of been a running joke. But for me my fox has a DIY paint job and its mehhh. I have no rust or damage to worry about. For me the fox is my second sports car my main is much nicer and dont really want to sink a ton of money into it. But if I can somewhat improve the paint job i would be happy. Bust maaco jobs i have seen have been maybe a step up from rattle canning it. But have heard a few good luck stories

My dad had two cars done by Maaco for like $350 back in the day. Did they paint the jambs, no, did they sand it, no. Did the car end up looking absolutely fine afterwards, yes. I remember they used a one step epoxy paint or something that didn't shine as much, but the car still looked fine.

Kurt