Should I swap my SVT Cobra for supercharged Fox?

traveller816

Dec 17, 2009
Hi Guys,

A question that may test a few allegiences.... I've also posted this on the "5.0 Talk", but I'm looking for a balanced response. I'm in the UK and have a low miles, '96 Cobra, stock other than being 2 inch lower on eibach springs.... i've just been offered a 1990 Fox LX with a Vortec bolted on... spec is as below, i'd be interested in opinions, how much can the 302 handle with stock internals, can the trans. handle the power? I think they've got T5's in them right? The gear head in me gets a hard on when i hear words like supercharger etc etc and i'm sure I'm not the only one!!! Anyway email is below, opinions please, and thanks in advance:

Best wishes, Saul

Hi Saul,

The car was mostly modified in the States, and although i don't have a dyno sheet, i got the numbers from the paper work that came with the car.. but i can safely say that judging from the other cars i've been around it seems accurate, this is a very quick car.. paper work says 420hp/380lbs torque @4000rpm

Modification are..

Vortech V1 supercharger making 8psi boost
B303 Blower Cam shaft
76mm C&L Mass Air Flow/ 30 lbs injectors to match
67mm EGR spacer
High flow throttle body
JBA adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Hi flow in-tank fuel pump
GT-40 upper and lower Hi flow Intake Manifold
Roller Rockers
TFS Heads
JBA shorty Exhaust headers
Limited slip, 3.55:1 Gears with an LPW Ultimate 8.8 Brace Diff Cover
Hurst Shifter
Transmission is a 5 speed from a 92 mustang as they have stronger internals
Heavy duty Desert Cooler Rad
Eibach Sportline Springs

Mileage is 68000

• Sponsors (?)

It's hard to go backwards by replacing a relatively modern car with an older one. You'll lose a bunch of things, like a rigid chassis and big brakes. If the Fox still has stock wheels and tires, all that power is only going to make a smoke show from the rear tires. I wouldn't. If you're bored with your Cobra, mod it. It does sound like a cool Fox though.

I have a 91 GT with 500 rwhp, i wouldnt do it. Im a die hard fox body guy, but just to many problems, rattles everwhere but man i love it. Plus ur getting someelses stuff, you have no idea how well the mods were done..

I have both, a 96 Cobra and a 90 GT, stick with the SN95. Although my Fox isnt supercharged I would imagine if it was it would only fall apart faster:D Seriously though, the SN95 cars are much better built and way more comfortable than Fox cars. Plus, I try not to make a habit of buying other peoples "creations". Who knows how well the car was built, you could be out everything if the thing blows up on your first ride. Stick with what you have. Good luck either way.