Should I upgrade my thermostat?

• Sponsors (?)

The stat (I recommend Mr Gasket stats), the bypass hose, upper hose if you feel like it.....

That is what comes to mind at first blush.

Good luck.

No way,don`t do it:D j/k.

It`s a good idea if it`s been in there a while.I use a 195* high flow thermostat vs the standard,(small) size.I think it`s made by Moto-Rad,(I think that`s the name).

InMyPrimeSVT said:
At the front of the lower intake there is a copper hose attached just left of the distributer and just behind the radiator hose. It is black and take a 1" wrench to pull it off. What is this?

Sounds like one of the heater core coolant lines.

InMyPrimeSVT said:
So would you all go with the 195?

I live in Canada and leave the 195* hi flow in year round.Never had a problem with overheating even on those baking hot summer day`s with the AC on,even with street crank/waterpump underdrive pulleys.The cars a 5spd and has a 3 core rad.

If the car is modified a lot and you live in a hot climate a 180* might be a better choice.

I was twisting the top of it to be able to get it off the lower intake in order to pull it out of my engine bay. It put a small hole in it right where it connects to the piece that drops into the lower intake. At this point I thought it was screwed so I just broke it completely off so I could get the lower out and figured this could be replaced.

InMyPrimeSVT said:
I was twisting the top of it to be able to get it off the lower intake in order to pull it out of my engine bay. It put a small hole in it right where it connects to the piece that drops into the lower intake. At this point I thought it was screwed so I just broke it completely off so I could get the lower out and figured this could be replaced.

So it broke off with the threaded part still in the intake?
If that`s the case you will need a new one.

They have to be removed by loosening the 1" nut.

When you install the new one use thread sealer on the threads and don`t overtighten so as not to possibly crack the intake.

InMyPrimeSVT said:
The threaded part is still in the intake and is easily removable. Basically the only thing I broke is the hose. So I should replace the hose along with the intake. Ok no prob, where should I acquire these parts?

Damn,I just noticed in your sig that your car is a 94.I thought it was a fox body you were talking about.

I don`t know if the setup is exactly the same as on a fox body.On my 89 the whole heater core assembly metal feed lines are metal until they reach the firewall heater core rubber hoses.The 1" fitting on my car that screws into the lower intake just turns inside the part where it joins the line so you can turn the nut to remove it.

(when you mention "hose",do you mean the metal line?,if that`s the case,I think the whole assembly has to be replaced).

They should be still available new or at the wreckers.

Is the line your broke the one with the ECT?

I like to run 180* stats, but I live in the desert. However, if your SN snake runs a little warm (the SN95's tend to run a bit hotter than foxes) then the 180 is a good choice IMHO. If you have cold weather and need heat, etc, the 195 might work better. I think you will find most 94-95's run 180 stats, but since the Cobra tune is better, you might not run as hot as the GT's. Your call. I think the 180 is a 4364, but double check that.

Good luck.

i have a 95 cobra and i run a 180 all the way and i drilled a 1/8 hole in the top to disperse air. as for that heater tube u should ditch it to clear the clutter out of the engine bay and go get a 1/2 npt pipe plug to seal the intake once u get that broken tube out. u can try www.50resto.com if u really need that tube but i dumped it when i put my edelbrock manifold on.

Try the Ford dealer,local auto parts store or the wreckers.Whatever`s cheaper.

I`m just guessing,but I think they should still be available new.No idea what they sell for.

95cobradude said:
i have a 95 cobra and i run a 180 all the way and i drilled a 1/8 hole in the top to disperse air. as for that heater tube u should ditch it to clear the clutter out of the engine bay and go get a 1/2 npt pipe plug to seal the intake once u get that broken tube out. u can try www.50resto.com if u really need that tube but i dumped it when i put my edelbrock manifold on.

So why shouldnt I be running this tube?