Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

• Sponsors (?)

Well guys, I wish I had some useful content to bring in, but I've tried 3 times to go pick up the short block from the friend of a friend from which it's been traded. He's an event caterer and basically works whenever I'm not, and vise versa. "I'm off all day Monday" (meaning today). Cool. I have a regular job and work all day monday...

I'm getting frustrated, but literally have no other option. I have the complete top end ready to rock as well as all the money needed to rehab the short block. Just need to go get the damn thing...

Reactions: 1 users
Hah, Im already taking a half day wednesday and all day Thursday for a death in the family, so I don't think I have a whole lot of other days to take off this week. I'm trying to take off next Monday for my Birthday. We shall see...

My birthday is next week too, you should take off the 31st as well in honor of me.

@hoopty5.0

Don't buy the distributor. Go to jy, get the coil packs from anything or cop from whatever will fit. Snag a edis8 module from an explorer. If the Explorer balancer will work on the 351 (maybe?) Get it too. If not get a 64 tooth wheel and magnetic pickup from diyautotune.Com ............ oh and the Explorer cam sensor just to fill in the hole.

Do it once.

Reactions: 1 user
@hoopty5.0

Don't buy the distributor. Go to jy, get the coil packs from anything or cop from whatever will fit. Snag a edis8 module from an explorer. If the Explorer balancer will work on the 351 (maybe?) Get it too. If not get a 64 tooth wheel and magnetic pickup from diyautotune.Com ............ oh and the Explorer cam sensor just to fill in the hole.

Do it once.

Pretty sure that cam sensor won't work due to deck height... I know distributors dont interchange. Am i missing something- no sarcasm.

@hoopty5.0

Do it once.

Pretty sure that cam sensor won't work due to deck height... I know distributors dont interchange. Am i missing something- no sarcasm.

I have an explorer cam sensor, but it has to be bastardized

For future reference...

. As far as the cam sync for sequential injection, I used the Price Motorsports option, but you can combine parts from a 3.8L V6 (Windstar van or similar) and the Explorer 5.0 cam sync. You need the housing from the 5.0 and the shaft from the 3.8 for the 351W. The 351W cam sync will also fit 351C, 351M, and 400M engines too.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1802946-351w-efi-swap-crank-trigger.html

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0...talk-distributorless-crank-triggers-such.html

You definitely want to have a press handy to be able to do it easily. But yes other than that it's a direct drop in. The 5.0 and 5.8 blocks are the same in the distributor area. Common misconception is that the 5.8 needs a longer shaft because of the taller deck height. This is not the case. The 5.8 just happens to have a larger pump drive hex.

@Boosted92LX I added more info here

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user