The Not A Build Thread, Build Thread - no carb yet but other stuff happening - Page 6

Always a crap shoot, for sure. She pulled this off a 1972 Corvette she had just sold. With Corvettes originality is king, so it makes sense. She said it ran perfect for her, so we'll see. At any rate, it should be a good core to rebuild. Holley's are not near as complicated as Quadrajets, so for $100 I think I'm pretty solid

Jim

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@karthief , this is what the temperature control cable looks like. It should be connected to the heater box

IMG_0252.jpg

I appreciate the help, kartheif. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty certain that cable adjusts the temperature on a sn95. Being broke off like that makes it FUBARed, though. I just want to manually turn the temperature to heat. It's hard to clear a windshield on ac

Thanks
Jim

The alldata shows the doors on the 98 dash hvac are vacuum operated so I don't know how thats going towork with a cable, it did't show anything cable operated, I have found that I am not that proficient with this alldata stuff. I did print up a couple pics and I'll post them in a few. I'm still in research mode.

@karthief, yes that’s a great illustration. To add to my misery, the actuator for the temp blend door looks like a Fox-style operator, that is, it slides back and forth and does not rotate. This car is really blended (pun intended). Thanks for the illustration. From what I can see, it looks like there are parts of a sn95 heater box put on a Fox box somehow. It is really difficult to see back in that area, as there are ears of wiring not bundled in my way

Jim

This car is so difficult. Fuel pressure has been pegging a 20psi gauge, even with a regulator. I changed regulators with a Aeromotive and no change. Blew air through the return line and it was clear. Finally pulled the fuel pump and replaced it with a stock 96 I had. Fuel pressure dropped right to 7psi. What I thought was a stock pump was an Aeromotive 4111. It was just pushing to much pressure for 5he regulators to throttle back. Set the float level, adjusted the idle and all is good. Now all I have to do is find my short circuit

Jim

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t have to worry about heat anymore. The ole dooky hit the spinning blades today. Cars been running pretty good. Still neeed to massage things a bit, but it was close. Went to the gym after work (first time in a couple months). Everything was good. Birds were singing, frogs were chirping or whatever they do. Came back out, started the car and the starter wouldn’t disengage. I tried everything I could think of, but no buenos. Smoke started rolling out, it backfired three times and the car stopped, dead and it smelled like burnt insulation.

Called a flat bed to pick it up, they rolled it into the driveway. I commented “ I hope that’s not my oil”. The two truck driver said “No, that’s your up front. The transmission fluid”. So I don’t know where that came from, but this car has never leaked a drop of anything.

So, I’m thinking it was the ignition switch that failed, because I just replaced the solenoid and key position had zero effect. I’m really concerned about the trains leak, though.

Any ideas or helpful hints. I really need to r3cord the conversation my wife and I are going to have this evening. It will be fugly.

Jim

I think this has tipped me over the edge. I’m going to get the harness out of my sons 84 and put it into my 84, strip what I need from the 85 and either part it out or sell the shell

Jim

You might want to get your battery checked out. My car did the same thing a few years ago. I went to leave a gas station and my starter wouldn't disengage. I replaced the old solenoid it with a brand new Motorcraft part, and it did it again a couple of days later! Turns out my old Optima battery was getting weak (it had been in the car for 9 years). When the resting voltage goes down on a battery, it pulls more amps at startup, and can "weld" the internal contacts together, causing the starter to not disengage. Replaced the battery, and it was fine again.

I hope is something simple like that for you, anyway.

These are photos of my son's recent purchase. We'll do a ModFox using my old 96 GT as the donor car. This was a SSP coupe out of Austin, TX. Not much SSP stuff on it now. The PO was going to make it into a pro-street, I think. He boofered it up pretty good, so we have some work to do. Paint is pretty nice, though and I get the interior and wiring for my 84 coupe.

Justin's 84.jpg

Justin's 84a.jpg

Justin's 84c.jpg

Justin's 84d.jpg

He wants to put an 85 front bumper on it, so I get the nice front bumper for my 84. If anyone would like a nice 84 1/2 GT front bumper with fog light mount, I have one

Jim

Reactions: 2 users
These are photos of my son's recent purchase. We'll do a ModFox using my old 96 GT as the donor car. This was a SSP coupe out of Austin, TX. Not much SSP stuff on it now. The PO was going to make it into a pro-street, I think. He boofered it up pretty good, so we have some work to do. Paint is pretty nice, though and I get the interior and wiring for my 84 coupe.

Justin's 84.jpg

Justin's 84a.jpg

Justin's 84c.jpg

Justin's 84d.jpg

He wants to put an 85 front bumper on it, so I get the nice front bumper for my 84. If anyone would like a nice 84 1/2 GT front bumper with fog light mount, I have one

Jim
Looks like a nice starting place...

The very first thing I'd recommend is that you also register for an account at FEP ( since it's a four eyed car)

Do the same thing you just did here,...Tell them the car was already somewhat hacked up,..tell them that it was once an orig police cert' model. Tell them that you intend to gut the interior, and convert it over to SN 95 ( which I personally whole-heartedly endorse) then tell them that you're gonna take an orig 84 nose off of the car, and put an 85-86 nose on instead .

Then start counting......

It won't take a minute before they flame you,..threaten to ban you for going against site tenants, and just short of stoning you for such a "horrific plan"......kindly remind you that you'll be welcomed as a member, just as long as you don't post any pics, or talk about your car or its progress towards that end.

But here on the other hand,....

We have the sites' "12".

The dozen or so regulars that continually populate this forum to offer up advice, encouragement, occasional injection of slap stick humor, and tell you that Holley 1850's suck ass. ( oh,..and occasionally there'll be the other three...Space Commander Wak, Stupid Larry, and their faithful companion, Glorph, The dead Martian dog.) But they only show up to let everybody know that I pissed them off from something I said or did, one way or another.

As for the rest,......The Twelve, don't care about what you do, just as long as you do it.

As for me,...I don't care about what you do, just as long as YOU do it .

Signed,...

Looking forward to your continued progress.......1 of 12.

* sounds like Borg name.

Last edited:
I'm all for keeping a four eye alive, mods and transplants aside, those are up to the owner, some people have a taste for, ah, the unusual, some have even pulled off the 'oh no don't do that' to 'didn't see that coming'
I don't know if I'm one of the twelve mike talks about, if I am I'm likely the guy in the back nobody pays any attention to. I am kind of a 'original look' kinda guy, but I like to see gutsy moves and personal touches, most important to me is to DRIVE THAT THING. Give credit to those that deserve recognition and don't fake it!
Good luck and keep us informed,
Oh, and always check for cats when testing electrical devices and using fire.

I'm all for keeping a four eye alive, mods and transplants aside, those are up to the owner, some people have a taste for, ah, the unusual, some have even pulled off the 'oh no don't do that' to 'didn't see that coming'
I don't know if I'm one of the twelve mike talks about, if I am I'm likely the guy in the back nobody pays any attention to. I am kind of a 'original look' kinda guy, but I like to see gutsy moves and personal touches, most important to me is to DRIVE THAT THING. Give credit to those that deserve recognition and don't fake it!
Good luck and keep us informed,
Oh, and always check for cats when testing electrical devices and using fire.

Just count the guys that show up here daily to answer your question...but I'll give you a clue...

" Oh, and always check for cats when testing electrical devices, and using fire" = " occasional injection of slap stick humor"

Weisenheimers......What would this place be w/o them?