The Not A Build Thread, Build Thread - no carb yet but other stuff happening - Page 6

@Gear grabber , I moved the fpr to the left fender skirt. I’m surprised it would reach. I need to buy a -6 AN fitting for the return line, but other than that (and a mounting bracket) it’s pretty much there.

498A173B-0D07-4FBD-9597-7D3D49EF8F10.jpeg

Hopefully, this will keep it cool. Lousy bracket that Holley provides is mostly so they can say they give you a bracket.

49BDB048-9A1A-440C-8685-C875C30C74E9.jpeg

So, I mounted the second alarm horn where I had the fpr mounted. Whoever did it before me just had cable ties holding the horns and fpr together at the firewall.

@90sickfox , that is the distributor (or one much like it) I first bought at Summit. After installing it I couldn’t get the cap on, as the hardlines on top of the intake interfered with it. My second pilgrimage to Summit was to buy a distributor and separate coil, which would not work because it needed a cd box, which my car does not have. My third sacrificial trek I bought a PerTronix distributor and coil, which flattened my wallet like a fat lady sitting on my face.

Wish I could use the GM style HEI

Jim

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

A 86 - 93 AC accumulator hose would run the line on the drivers side of the compressor behind the carb and to the accumulator/ dryer at the firewall. That would get the one line out of the way....but you already solved that issue.

I tried to start it up, but from he sound of it I either am not getting a spark or I stabbed the distributor 180* out. I have fuel and air, so tomorrow’s I’ll try chasing it down

Jim

Got the 85 started this afternoon. Turned out the distributor was clocked correctly; I had no spark. I had power to the ignition on RUN, but not on START. I took a wire from the ignition terminal on the solenoid to the positive of the coil and it started right up. I’m not certain what the fuel pressure is. I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge. The Aeromotive regulator had a port for a gauge,bu5 this Holley doesn’t. I think I may see about an in-line adapter to splice into the line to the carb.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have to install the right wheelwell liner, tidy of the wires there and clean up a huge mess. Hope to sort the driving this weekend

Jim

Got the 85 started this afternoon. Turned out the distributor was clocked correctly; I had no spark. I had power to the ignition on RUN, but not on START. I took a wire from the ignition terminal on the solenoid to the positive of the coil and it started right up. I’m not certain what the fuel pressure is. I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge. The Aeromotive regulator had a port for a gauge,bu5 this Holley doesn’t. I think I may see about an in-line adapter to splice into the line to the carb.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have to install the right wheelwell liner, tidy of the wires there and clean up a huge mess. Hope to sort the driving this weekend

Jim
If you're using the same non-return Holley reg they supply with their blue pump, you'll just have to get a fitting to go inline that has an 1/8" npt port in it in order to accomodate a gauge. When you first turn on the pump, the gauge pressure will display at actual, then proceed to spike from there. The needle on the gauge will more than likely bounce if you try to check it running.

Your turd carb wants between 5-7 p.s.i,...and you'll wanna check ( and adjust) float level on the turds only adjustable float level in front to be sure it's where it needs to be.

LOL!! My turd carb seems to be running pretty good. I need to tune it in some.

I have the Holley fuel pressure regulator that has a return for the electric in-tank pump. I must have bought the low-end fpr, because it has no port for the gauge, like my Aeromotive had. I guess at some point I'll get a real fpr that isn't so chincy, but right now I just need to get things sorted. At some point I'll convert the secondaries to a center hung float, so I can change out the jetting. Thanks for the heads up on the fuel pressure and float adjustment, Mike.

Jim

@madmike1157 , your tip on the fuel level was spot on. When I checked the primary float level I couldn’t even get the screw out of the fuel bowl. I adjusted it to a trickle. The secondary level was fine. I spent the rest of the afternoon setting the timing using my handy-dandy Craftsman/SunPro timing light. Car runs pretty well, but I still need to work on dialing it in.

Jim

Reactions: 1 user
Madmike’s di It twiceness must be contagious. I went to install the right fender liner and it would not fit; the fan controller was in the sway. I had to move it and lengthen some wires, reroute a bunch, etc. Installed it in the lower front fender up front. It seems happy there.

I bought a fuel gauge adapter, sealed the threads from the gauge to the adapter with Teflon tape. Fired it up and shot gas all over the place. Trudged down to OReilleys and bought some gas-resistant sealer.

At least it’s together. I had to adjust the front coilovers three time just to raise it up a 1/2”. I’m pooped
Jim

Reactions: 3 users
Went to start the car today and no worky. Had fuel, had spark, no start. Took the primary bowl off, cleaned it and blew it out and got it to start. Runs pretty good. Still can’t tell what my fuel pressure is. I bought an in line fuel pressure gauge adapter, but now the gauge doesn’t work. I turned the adjustment screw all the way out, then a few turns in. Guess it’s okay. Took it out on the highway and ran it several miles. Still good, so I’m driving it to church tomorrow.

Jim

Whereabouts are you at Mark 7 LSC? I’m in North Richland Hills, just north east of FW. I was hoping to make the North Texas Fox Club meet tomorrow, but looks like I’ll miss at least most of it

Jim

Sometimes a Google really sucks. I’m trying to locate the temperature blend door on my 85; oops, 98; oops, combo car. It has the sn95 dash and heater controls, but the temperature control cable is lying loose behind the radio. Not a good thing if one is wanting to provide heat for his car, which I certainly would.

I can’t see anything to change the blend door, can’t see where the blend door is and can’t get heat. Tomorrow is supposed to be chilly, Wednesday is suppos3d to be a high of 45. This is like a deep freeze to me.

Can anyone help locate the temp blend door on a sn95?

TIA

Jim

@karthief , sorry for the late response. After getting to work at 3am and fighting with my car (under the dash, which I love) I gave it up at 830 and went to bed. Another sign of old age is when you and the wife go to bed and go to sleep.

I have put in two sn95 dashes; a 2001 and a 2004. Both of them were the same as the 95 I drove into the water and the 96 that my son has. The temperature control rotates and operates a cable-driven piece that sits on the air box. The function control is vacuum-driven. That seems to work fine, which makes me believe this car has the sn95 heater/ac installed, as well as the dash.

What I need is a clear diagram or photo of that part of the air box. If I remember, the temperature control is located about the middle of the dash, just behind the radio. I tore everything apart and couldn't find anything that resembled the control. Stupid Google gives photos of Ford Explorers, Cougars, whatever from 2011 and 2015, but nothing in the sn95 range. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Anything you can come upo with would help. I do appreciate the assistance

@madmike1157 , I found a Holley 670 Street Avenger that has the center-hung floats and dual feed, single pumper and electric choke. I may have to put a kit in it, but it was cheap, cheap.

upload_2017-11-7_6-7-46.png

No more cheap azz carb. You shamed me into it :banana:

Jim

@karthief , sorry for the late response. After getting to work at 3am and fighting with my car (under the dash, which I love) I gave it up at 830 and went to bed. Another sign of old age is when you and the wife go to bed and go to sleep.

I have put in two sn95 dashes; a 2001 and a 2004. Both of them were the same as the 95 I drove into the water and the 96 that my son has. The temperature control rotates and operates a cable-driven piece that sits on the air box. The function control is vacuum-driven. That seems to work fine, which makes me believe this car has the sn95 heater/ac installed, as well as the dash.

What I need is a clear diagram or photo of that part of the air box. If I remember, the temperature control is located about the middle of the dash, just behind the radio. I tore everything apart and couldn't find anything that resembled the control. Stupid Google gives photos of Ford Explorers, Cougars, whatever from 2011 and 2015, but nothing in the sn95 range. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Anything you can come upo with would help. I do appreciate the assistance

@madmike1157 , I found a Holley 670 Street Avenger that has the center-hung floats and dual feed, single pumper and electric choke. I may have to put a kit in it, but it was cheap, cheap.

upload_2017-11-7_6-7-46.png

No more cheap azz carb. You shamed me into it :banana:

Jim
Well,...I'm tempted to say good for you.
A used Holley is like a used BMW. Sometimes, you'll be alright, other times the carburetor will be possessed.
There are always reasons why the previous guy sold off his old carb...and it wasn't because he liked how the old one worked/performed.