Thinking about buying a bike...

Shiroelex

There's nothing worse than aut
Founding Member
Aug 23, 2001
Westland, MI
A few of my friends took a motorcycle course, and ended up getting my name on the waiting list. I'm kind of geeked about it because I haven't ridden a bike in YEARS. Last thing I owned was a Yamaha 125 Enduro, and I thought it was a rocket (as a kid). Now I'm looking more towards something fun and economic for the street, as my daily commute isn't even 10 miles. The problem is, I have no idea what I am looking at when it comes to motorcycles. I don't mind a used one, so long as it's at least a late 90s bike or newer. I know a few members on here have some nice bikes, so I figure I would ask here as well if anyone had suggestions as to what to get for a (somewhat) beginner rider.

• Sponsors (?)

I would go with a late 90's 600 model. These new six hundreds are IMO faster than the later ones. The yamaha r6 is a beast for a "small" bike. Its light weight chasis along with powerful drive train makes those things fast. Even the Hondas too. So, late model 600 is a good bike. You can prolly get one for 2-3K. Just accept the fact you will munch in at least once. Both my friends "use" to ride.

But , dont get look too negative at falling. I live in CA, in pretty dam populated around here with, if you ask me, and my experiance driving big rigs across the states, CA has the WORST DRIVERS!!!!

Ive never been through FL. If its not that populated with minimal cars. You should be ok. Best of luck to you.

dont get anything smaller than a 600, you can find used 98-04 honda, kawi, yami or suzki 600 for around 3Gs, give or take, and they are all pretty equally compared

ps. be prepared to lose intrest in your car, haha

Most 600 cc bikes run low 11's and require stratosphere revs.

Most 1980's UJM's handle better than 99% of the street riders can actually use, let alone an organ doner motorcycle.

Do you want to be like every other squid out there riding a plastic fantastic or do you want to stand apart with something a little different?

My recommendation for a guy who hasn't rode anything bigger than a 125 regularly...Honda Nighthawk 750. A 1991 to 2003 model would suite you quite well. The bike will still turn a mid-12, has a few performance upgrade, and is more than comfortable for a 2-300 mile trip. Still employs the classic inline four and is new enough to still get plenty of parts for.

I currently ride a 1982 Suzuki GS1100 about 4,000 miles a year.

Yes, once you ride, it's all you want to think about.

I just sold my 2000 CBR yesterday...I am now looking for a newer bike. If you havent in a long time and really havent rode a big bike I would says start with a 600 unless you want a cruiser. Me personally I want a fuel injected bike. I sold my bike for $3k with 26k miles. Dont be afraid to get a bike with 20k + miles, if they are taken car of they will last. I knew a guy on the CBR forum that had 130k miles on his 04 600...and he is still driving it!

itsStock02 if you havent rode dont get a 1000, you will just kill yourself. My 600 ran 11.9's and my buddies 08 600 runs 11.3's....most 1000's stock will run 9's at around 140-150mph. I am trying to find a 1000rr or a GSXR 1000.

I don't really give a crap what the bike looks like, as long as it's not a behemoth like a Harley Fat Boy. I'm really interested in some older Buells right now. I think they have a pretty nice look to them, and have heard some nice things. I've ridden a friend's BMW R bike before with the driveshaft instead of a chain, and that thing was insanely smooth. Those however, are WAAAY out of my range. I'm not even slightly interested in stunting the thing at all, really. Just looking for something that I won't lose my mind over if I do (and probably will) eventually drop.

I don't really give a crap what the bike looks like, as long as it's not a behemoth like a Harley Fat Boy. I'm really interested in some older Buells right now. I think they have a pretty nice look to them, and have heard some nice things. I've ridden a friend's BMW R bike before with the driveshaft instead of a chain, and that thing was insanely smooth. Those however, are WAAAY out of my range. I'm not even slightly interested in stunting the thing at all, really. Just looking for something that I won't lose my mind over if I do (and probably will) eventually drop.

Here's my shaft-driven bike:

PICT1049.jpg

if you want a cruiser the yamaha V stars are REALLY cheap ($6K new) and ride pretty decent. my buddy rode one down to the beach with me 2 weeks ago and it did great the whole time. his is a 600 or 650 but it got the same mileage as my wide glide (1310cc) with a cam, exhaust and carb work! i thought his would get a lot better mileage than mine. i still manage to average 43 MPG on the highway

all bikes are organ donors...............
Incorrect.

all it takes is some moron on a cell phone....to pull out in front of you and lights out....
If you ride aggressively, wear your gear(!), and leave yourself an out, you should be able to avoid probably 99.9% of all accidents, or at least limit your injuries. IMO, everyone should take the MSF, or equivalent and continually practice emergency braking and swerving on a regular basis. They don't teach it for nothing.

all it takes is some moron on a cell phone....to pull out in front of you and lights out....

same can be said for your car. it could happen while you are walking to the mail box. if you ride like everyone is out to get you it will increase your chances of avoiding an accident, but of course not all of them can be avoided. it doesnt matter what you are driving, anything from a lawn mower to a air plane!