Thinking of ditching my e fans

• Sponsors (?)

It’s a 2 fold thing.

1. I really like the look of the stock shroud .
2. It seems like I’m constantly dealing with a loose wire or things like that.

I know if I got a really nice controller it would fix the issues, just dunno if it’s worth it.

Contour fans . Fit like factory .

Wire them correct and never have an issue . I’d never go back. Loose wires are a culprit of bad crimps or loose lugs .

Reactions: 1 user
I went back to stock after 10 years of issues with the electrical ones. I DD my mustang still and the stock clutch fan keeps the car cool not matter what.

I had issues with the fans draw and them needing to come on/off in traffic, had one of the relays fail and almost over heated the car, you have to get a good fan bc those flexilight fans are a joke, ran the SN95 & Contour fans before but in the end liked the stock simplistic fan the best

• Agree
I really liked the idea of the fans. Maybe I’ll just redo it all, but I had a real close call the other day from a loose ground. Right now my main concern is just a good driving and decent looking ride. I know if I keep it I need to pull it all and redo all the wires and make it right, but I’m torn on that being worth the effort.

Whaaaaaat now way, I get the idea of the stock look of the fan shroud but that thing took up so much space. I mean mine have only been in now for a few months but I would never go back to stock. Contour fans all day. Think I just saw that LMR is actually selling them now, guess they realized how bad their dual fans were doing and brought in the big guns. Still over priced though, 145 I believe and I paid like 112 I thought from summit.

I still have the stock fan.

I was here when all the rage was e fans and 130Amp alternators. I still have one of them high dollar, hard to come by, controllers sitting around on a shelf somewhere. Always said I'd pull the trigger when the need arose.

Still waiting for that to happen.

It's kinda hard to beat the stock clutch fan with an inducted cowl. It moves a lot of air.

I've seen efans mounted in the stock shroud. You get the oem look, but with the electric fan.

I wired my SN95 efAn in 20 years ago with the relay set for always on. Defeats the purpose I know, but it's been ultra reliable.

Just picked up a Volvo PWM controller to change the wiring around a tad.

I used to use late 90s early 2000s jeep cherokee fans in the factory shroud. Was easy to do with a few washers and three nuts and bolts. Always kept a flex fan and spacer in the trunk if I had an issue on a long trip. The only issue I'd have is the temp would spike when coming off the highway. Back then I had no idea why. Didn't have a lower air dam....think that's what caused it. Ran around in circles about that for a long time.

Now, I have contour fans from the JY. Cost 20+ bucks ( i think ). I control them with two 30 amp relays. Used to have a fan temp switch hooked to ground on both relays.

A91what mentioned something about electric fans blocking flow at highway speeds because the fans aren't turning at the speed the air is travelling causing heating issues. I believe his electric fans cut off above 40mph.

nothing wrong with the stock fan unless you have clearance issues. it pulls well over 3000 cfm and is dead nuts reliable.. running one on my 86 even though I have a taurus. contour and MkVIII E fan laying around and a DCC Control unit as well. Just don't see the need to fix what ain't broke That being said, I run a contour dual E fan with my 90 that has a V3 as it cleans up the engine bay and the stock clutch fan bit the dust, so figured why not.

That being said, if you already have the E fan and controller setup, keep it and make sure all the connections are soldered, shrink wrapped and all the grounds tight and clean.

I do have e-fans on the 89 but it's a hack job (the whole engine bay is madeup of what I had lying around) so I can't give a decent real world compare.

Done right, I'm certain they are ultra-reliable.

Ah... "DCC Fan Controller" That's the one I couldn't remember the name of; The one on the shelf collecting dust.

When/if I do it though, it will also include an electric water pump both of which, will run to a preset temp after shut-down.

Another Arduino project @stanglx2002 ? :chin

I do have e-fans on the 89 but it's a hack job (the whole engine bay is madeup of what I had lying around) so I can't give a decent real world compare.

Done right, I'm certain they are ultra-reliable.

Ah... "DCC Fan Controller" That's the one I couldn't remember the name of; The one on the shelf collecting dust.

When/if I do it though, it will also include an electric water pump both of which, will run to a preset temp after shut-down.

Another Arduino project @stanglx2002 ? :chin
I have enough crazy projects going on with this digital dash...I can blame @90sickfox for getting the dash camera project going in my head again

The twin fans on my black car have burnt up fuses & wires, and draw a lot of amps. They do a damn good job keeping it cool, though. The Mark VIII fan on the blue car works great and is less complicated. If the black car's twin 13" spals go bad, I'll go to the Mark VIII fan on it, too. Both setups looks cool.

I kinda like it that the fan isn't constantly on, and I can also jumper them to cool down the Radiator in the pits. I can see the appeal of dropping to the stock fan shroud and clutch fan again. I mean, I'm not going to do it, but I get it.

Any e-fan controller other than a DCC or one that is licensed from him is no good.
He's still around, emailed him a few weeks ago. He & I have the 2 original FK-35's, still working after 20 years with the Mark VIII fan The stock mechanical fan didn't last 10 years, the plastic is no good. The replacement ones might use a different type of plastic. If the stock fan is 3000cfm, the Mark VIII is over 4000 cfm.
http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm

Any e-fan controller other than a DCC or one that is licensed from him is no good.
He's still around, emailed him a few weeks ago. He & I have the 2 original FK-35's, still working after 20 years with the Mark VIII fan The stock mechanical fan didn't last 10 years, the plastic is no good. The replacement ones might use a different type of plastic. If the stock fan is 3000cfm, the Mark VIII is over 4000 cfm.
http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm
IMG_0995.JPG

+1 on the DCC controller. His customer communication is crap and it takes a while to get, but it works great. Mine soft starts my contour fans and ramps up and down as needed.

I can't recall which one I have and I just spent about 45 min looking for and trying to recall where I put it.

Thanks bungholes! :fuss:

It'll turn up the moment I stop thinking about it. I'll report back in the next couple months. :p