In the market for a new HCI setup for my 86' fox. Currently running cobra upper and lower with a b cam making 240 to the wheels. I've searched the forums for opinions on the Anderson 6200rpm NA top end kit but only found older ones. They now include a Holley Systemax II upper and lower which is different from the Chinese ones they were selling a few years ago. Most opinions swayed towards the trick flow kit for that reason. I'm wondering what you guys think would be the better kit now that the Anderson one has the better/more reputable intake.

• Sponsors (?)

In the market for a new HCI setup for my 86' fox. Currently running cobra upper and lower with a b cam making 240 to the wheels. I've searched the forums for opinions on the Anderson 6200rpm NA top end kit but only found older ones. They now include a Holley Systemax II upper and lower which is different from the Chinese ones they were selling a few years ago. Most opinions swayed towards the trick flow kit for that reason. I'm wondering what you guys think would be the better kit now that the Anderson one has the better/more reputable intake.
Anderson Kit:

Trickflow Kit:

I would keep the Cobra Intake and have the lower ported. With the porting they can make good power. Buy a set of Trick Flow 170s or AFR 165s and upgrade to a more modern cam like the TFS stage 1, Crane 2031, or Steeda 18.

Reactions: 1 users
Since you suggest you have an 86, you might want to check into the piston type you have.
86's had flat tops and not every setup is compatible.

Over the years i'd had a bunch of cams, some of which were listed.

With how deep the effort is to install one, i think the extra $200 it costs to get one custom is always worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Since you suggest you have an 86, you might want to check into the piston type you have.
86's had flat tops and not every setup is compatible.

Over the years i'd had a bunch of cams, some of which were listed.

With how deep the effort is to install one, i think the extra $200 it costs to get one is always worth it.
I forgot to mention I have a later motor with the notched pistons so valve clearance wouldn't be an issue.

The Anderson setup looks good.. I've never personally ran the N41 cam but you should be able to find people who have as it's been out there a while
Here's the specs on the cam I found.

Advertise Duration .006 - Intake:278 / Exhaust: 286
Duration at .050 - In:222 / Ex:230
Timing events at .050 - In: 1/41 Ex: 45/5
Lobe Lift @ Cam - In:.320 / Ex:.320
Gross valve lift w/ 1.6 - In:.512 / Ex:.512
Lobe Seperation 110
Degree intake lobe to 106
Valve Lash (Hot) - In:0 / Ex:0

I would keep the Cobra Intake and have the lower ported. With the porting they can make good power. Buy a set of Trick Flow 170s or AFR 165s and upgrade to a more modern cam like the TFS stage 1, Crane 2031, or Steeda 18.

I have to be honest with you, after going through some of the other info on here, I think this is good advice. Tmoss will get the Cobra intake where it needs to be; the Systemax is over kill for 170cc heads. Not a fan of the lobe sep on the N-41 either. I've had a 110 lobe sep cam, and it gets uncomfortable. The Steeda #18 gets better lobe sep and is the same lift with a 1.7:1 rocker. I'm thinking that if it were between the kits, the Trick Flow one is going to give you more driveability with about the same power.

Kurt