What about those electric header dumps, are they worth getting

FastGT50Stang

Sep 19, 2005
Chicago
I have a 90 GT with Bassani 1 7/8" long tube headers, ceramic coated with a 3" collecter to a Bassani aft-cat X-Pipe, and i'm probably going to get flowmaster 40series mufflers along with the whole standard exits. I was wondering if i should get electric header dumps put on, it'd be cool and loud and stuff but what about backpressure, won't the car be slower without backpressure?

SOme of my buddies told me to put the header dumps after the bassani x-pipe and other told me to put them right after the headers?

• Sponsors (?)

i drove around with open headers for about a day and it was the most obnoxious thing i have ever experienced.. not only did the car run like *****, but i refused to let the motor go anywhere past 2k because it was just so loud and annoying.. i sat in my driveway and tached it up a few times, and a friend of mine could hear the car from about a half mile down the street.. and dont get me wrong, this was not a good loud by any means, it sounded absolutly horrible.. unless your motor would really benefit from it, dont waste your money

I wouldn't do it, plus the x pipes sound much better with straight through mufflers like magnaflow, it sounds a little raspy with the chambered 40s I have both and personally prefer the magnaflow muffler......one man's opinion....oh yeah the magnaflows are a mirrored finish. very nice....

I am no pro, but a guy around the corner has these and it is the most irritating sound ever. More irritating than the irritating sound Jim Carrey made on Dumb and Dumber. Sounds like 5 Harleys slapped together and running.... I cant see the benefit in this for city driving, unless you want to attract the police to you so your buddy with the expired registration and suspended license can pass them.

There nice for the track...that's about it. One other issue... Fox body Mustang's dont have a whole lot of room underneath for these cutouts. They will fit but ground clearence becomes a bit tight especially since you should mount them facing to the ground abit instead of right up against the floor pan...keep that in mind as well.

they probally wouldnt sound that bad if you put them after the x-pipe. it would still be obnoxiously loud but some people like that... its alot of work and money just to get noticed, and with 3" 40 series mufflers its gonna sound badass and be pretty f 'in loud.

They're electrically controlled "valves" that open and close to dump the exhaust right after the headers and before the cats and mufflers. It acts like having only headers on your car and nothing after them.