What did i get myself into

petemakmt

Sep 26, 2020
Mississippi
Ok guys im kind of worried that I may have dug myself into a pretty deep hole. I recently purchased a 1996 Cobra with 100k(ish?) for a good price I would say (the odometer is stuck at 100631, but judging by interior it doesnt look far off). I am learning stick on this car as well. It seems I keep running into numerous little problems the more I drive the car. Firstly, when I bought the car the rear sway bar was snapped so it seems this car wasnt babied around. Next thing was that the car keeps overheating but I hope that will just be an easy fix. I think I mightve flushed the coolant incorrectly. The problem I ran into yesterday and today, was, when my clutch isnt depressed, theres a knocking sound. When I let off the clutch it goes away. I read some articles and it seems like it might be a throwout or input shaft bearing. Ugh. Then when I was driving today, I noticed as I was slowing to a stop with the clutch depressed, the car was just idling at 1500rpm. I see it might be some sensors or something like that. The check engine light also just popped on as I was cruising. This isnt an easy car to learn stick because im worried about hurting the car. Did I buy myself into a :poo:box? I just would like to hear your guys feedback.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys im kind of worried that I may have dug myself into a pretty deep hole. I recently purchased a 1996 Cobra with 100k(ish?) for a good price I would say (the odometer is stuck at 100631, but judging by interior it doesnt look far off). I am learning stick on this car as well. It seems I keep running into numerous little problems the more I drive the car. Firstly, when I bought the car the rear sway bar was snapped so it seems this car wasnt babied around. Next thing was that the car keeps overheating but I hope that will just be an easy fix. I think I mightve flushed the coolant incorrectly. The problem I ran into yesterday and today, was, when my clutch isnt depressed, theres a knocking sound. When I let off the clutch it goes away. I read some articles and it seems like it might be a throwout or input shaft bearing. Ugh. Then when I was driving today, I noticed as I was slowing to a stop with the clutch depressed, the car was just idling at 1500rpm. I see it might be some sensors or something like that. The check engine light also just popped on as I was cruising. This isnt an easy car to learn stick because im worried about hurting the car. Did I buy myself into a :poo:box? I just would like to hear your guys feedback.
Hi,
Can only narrow this down with the info, so we can do tha. First, you need to prioritize the list of issues you have now, then knock them off (no pun intended) one at a time.
No, 4.6-5.0, most Mustangs in general aren’t “babied” (much less an SVT car), doesn’t mean it’s all bad, just need to pick up the slack in maintenance the last owner neglected to perform.
What’s most important?
ScanTools are cheap and important when
1)pull your engine codes. Jot down, reset.
2) Overheating may hurt the motor fast.. Did you burp the system once you refilled it? (Has jack it nose up, CAR COLD(?) Be sure to check your oil first.
DONT add coolant to a hot motor, jack up up the nose of the Cap & let it run for a minute-air rises to the highest point, replenish your coolant level.
A cars idle will hang up is by having low coolant, ECTS measures liquids-not gases, the EECs Temp senor will get confused.
2) Once it’s staying cool, use a Scan-tool with abilities like streaming live data, drive (PID’s), drive cycles, and find out what the motors saying. Post what codes it mentions.
3) Rear sway bar, it’s up there with #2 if not replacedwas this replaced yet? It’ll sure make a lot of noise being new to a 5 speed at the same time
Clutch makes no noise when engaged, did noise occur one day, or start and worsen?
How did the car, clutch operate when you first got the car? Is it a newly installed clutch by previous owner?
Traction control, think 96’s May have had them. Run with it off If so.
Any thump noise when the clutch is let out ‘ starts driving, or any time you pull it in while driving?
What does your gauge say, temp accurate
Any questions, please post them!
Good luck
- John