What diffrence's between a 4cyl and 5.0 interior(swapping to black)?

Billy88LX

Founding Member
May 1, 2001
Alberta, Canada
I found a 90 4cyl mustang with a black interior that I want to swap out. It has pl,pw where as mine dosen't so that's a bonus. I have a 88lx 5.0 with a blue interior and was wondering what diffrence's would there be between the 4cyl and my interior.I know about the air bag but if I keep my steering wheel will the new dash bolt right up?I'm not worried about the crapy 4cyl seat's as I what upgraded one's anyways. What diffrence's are between the 4cyl and the 91-93 gt and 5.0 lx's? Is this a good idea to use a 4cyl or should I look for a 5.0 car to swap out?

• Sponsors (?)

Interior swaps

Is there anyone who has tried to swap in later model seats into an 87-93 convertable? I have an 88 I want to swap in the late model buckets which I am not worried about but then matching it up with the back seat may drive my year choice. Any advice?

lnahudson said:
Is there anyone who has tried to swap in later model seats into an 87-93 convertable? I have an 88 I want to swap in the late model buckets which I am not worried about but then matching it up with the back seat may drive my year choice. Any advice?

Many people have done the 94+ seats swap, and I think theres only minor things that may need to be changed. Or you can go aftermarket, and theres a bad@ss red 'vert with white interior and aftermarket seats that look well, owned my mansooz??? or somethingl like that.

I dont want to go aftermarket, I would prefer the black leather but I could make white work.. the car is blue with a white top. Problem is the white seats I have seen are in such lowsy condition. I am not worried about bolting in front buckets from a newer year but how do I match the rear seat when I do that? I dont want to delete it.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a white interrior, they are harder to find then black. I too would recomend going with 94+ front seats for leather. They are usually in better condition and they overall look better,

lnahudson said:
I dont want to go aftermarket, I would prefer the black leather but I could make white work.. the car is blue with a white top. Problem is the white seats I have seen are in such lowsy condition. I am not worried about bolting in front buckets from a newer year but how do I match the rear seat when I do that? I dont want to delete it.

Black leather is pretty common, I just said white about the aftermarket seats. You will be hard presssed to find a white interior.

Billy88LX said:
I found a 90 4cyl mustang with a black interior that I want to swap out. It has pl,pw where as mine dosen't so that's a bonus. I have a 88lx 5.0 with a blue interior and was wondering what diffrence's would there be between the 4cyl and my interior.I know about the air bag but if I keep my steering wheel will the new dash bolt right up?I'm not worried about the crapy 4cyl seat's as I what upgraded one's anyways. What diffrence's are between the 4cyl and the 91-93 gt and 5.0 lx's? Is this a good idea to use a 4cyl or should I look for a 5.0 car to swap out?

87-88 LX 5.0's had the same seats as the 4-bangers....so technically there is zero difference in interior between those cars and the 2.3's.

Swapping in a Black interior is a peice of cake. I put a 1990 GT black interior into my '88 LX. The new dash bolts up fine with the tilt column if you use your original column trim and cluster surround.

It looks like it belongs there doesn't it?? :D
View attachment 517920

PS. Those are the Sport seats that came in all GT's and 89+ LX hatches and 91+ LX coupes.

v8only said:
4 banger door panels tend to be different, (unless it's just an "lx" thing?) they've got black cloth inserts in the door panels, instead of all leather.

the rear inner 1/4 panels won't work without a bit of modification either. it explains it in the link posted above.

I have black cloth inserts on my door panels and they came out of a GT.

Also, the 1/4 panel modification is very simple. You just drill a hole into the plastic so you can mount the front seatbelts. No big deal really.

Mustang5L5 said:
I have black cloth inserts on my door panels and they came out of a GT.

Also, the 1/4 panel modification is very simple. You just drill a hole into the plastic so you can mount the front seatbelts. No big deal really.

Then you'd have an extra unplugged hole. Many people prefer to drill the piller and relocate the seatbelt mounting location instead.

also, consider that the rears of the 1/4 panels are designed for rear shoulder belts, so you're gonna look awkward with no rear belts, unless you modify the car for those too. I guess it depends on how anal one is about little details. Myself, I personally wouldn't care, but my bro, on the otherhand would. It may be easier to get the matching 50resto paint, and paint your existing rear 1/4's.

very interesting with your cloth inserts. I was under the impression it was a 4 banger, or lx deal. Those are original, I'm assuming?

v8only said:
very interesting with your cloth inserts. I was under the impression it was a 4 banger, or lx deal. Those are original, I'm assuming?

Yup, it was a 100% factory original black interior out of a 1990 GT complete with armrest delete and the "25 years" emblem on the dash. The door panels had the typical vinyl map pockets, power windows and locks and cloth inserts above the armrest. You can see it in my picture above and a bit in this one as well.

View attachment 517918

squeeeg said:
There have been pictures posted of it. It doesn't look all that good. The dash ends up covering the inside door handle halfway.
I just had a thought... in the '79's, wasn't the inside door handle down lower on the door? If I'm right, and I'd like to think I am, wouldn't it be feasible to do it in a '79 (or at least with '79 doors) without that problem?

Honestly, if I had the cash and time, I'd try it, but I'm in college... my cousin and I had a '79 coupe we got rid of about 6 mos ago, right before I first heard about doing that particular swap, or we'd have tried it. Just an idea though, might go for it one day as a side thing in a show car, just to see if it'd work.

Anybody feel like experimenting with a '79 door and 94+ dash in a FOX?

Regarding the vinyl 1 piece door panels and the vinyl/ cloth or vinyl/vinyl two piece door panels, Ford changed all the door panels in 92 to a one piece design that I'm sure was easier (cheaper) to make. I found mine from a 92 4 cyl with black interior. All the 87-91 door panels have a separate part that clips onto the main panel and it is covered in whatever material the seats are upholstered in, be it tweed cloth, LX cloth or vinyl. I've seen them all 3 ways.

Here's a pic of my interior: http://statefilingsoftware.com/pictures/front_w_halos.jpg

And my door panel. I added the carpet to the bottom to replace the map pockets:
door4.jpg

As far as the newer rear seats in a vert, I know the fronts work fine, but the back ones will require some work. I know the SN95 coupe rears are the same width as the Fox hatch seats and fit just fine, I have them in my LX. I think the newer SN95 vert rears are narrower also, like the Fox vert rears, so they might work with minimal mods. It would require some measurements to make sure. If you want to measure your vert back seats, measure the seat back across the top and the height of the seat back, along with the seat bottom width at the front and back. Then I can compare them to the SN95 coupe seats and some SN95 vert seats. You can make any of them fit, it just depends on the amount of work necessary.

Oh, also, I put the 90 model rear belts in my 87 with the 90 model rear quarter panels. I really wanted them for the potential safety benefit to my older children in the back seat. I mounted the belt retractor to the wheel well with a seat belt bolt and several large washers. I'm sure it is not as strong as the mount Ford has for the 90-93 cars, but it is better than just the lap belt alone IMO.