What Intake Would Work Best For Me

Dan duffy

Aug 16, 2016
Hey, new to the forum. I have a 91 gt with gt40 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, and a f cam. Have underdrive pulleys and small stuff like that with 24# injectors. Anyone have an idea what intake would work best for me? Over the winter i am upgrading to 30# injectors and twisted wedge heads. Thank you

• Sponsors (?)

No forced induction yet..but i am going to throw a 100 shot of nitrous in it so figured i would have to move up on the injectors..been told 24# injectors are good to 350hp which inwill be past.

Attachments

• 20160731_221914.jpg
    20160731_221914.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 152
The best intakes are either an Edelbrock RPM II or Holley SysteMax. You shouldn't need 30's but they'll work fine. Match the intakes with a good 75mm tb and a Pro-M 75-80mm MAF.

For the nitrous system are you using a dry kit or wet? The dry systems pump up fuel pressure at the inj and the wet just has fuel solenoids that inj fuel into the intake system. Wet systems work ok but if they are the type that inj before the TB you have to keep it conservative to reduce the chance of fuel puddling in the intake manifold. 100-125hp is about the limit (and can still happen). Dry systems are better for that reason. Make sure you have enough fuel pump (255) and run a heat range cooler on the plug with good octane(91 at a minimum) and no more than 10* timing. It'll run well

Im already over 10° timing because of my cam and setup. I believe im at 12 currently..but of course will be bringing it to get dyno tuned after all is said and done. I am going with a dry kit for sure. Never really had any interest with messing with a wet kit on a daily driver wannabe race car haha. But i appreciate it. Any other input you guys have for me on what i vould do for more power please let me know. Thanks again

I'm going a whole different direction with what I think @Dan duffy should do with his money :D Sinking money in to Trick Flow heads will net you some HP but not a whole lot since you're already sportin' GT-40 heads. So it's not like you're going from stock to TFS which would be a bigger gain. With nitrous you have to fill the bottle and pray you never get a puddle in your intake runner and go BOOM!

My $.02 is add boost. You already have an OK combo so if I were you and had a few bucks I'd get a Vortech V3 kit. You'll have great driveability and 350'ish rwhp.

Those new roller rockers you have on your GT-40 heads won't transfer over (GT-40 is pedestal vs TFS is stud mount) nor will your pushrods. The money you save from having to buy all gaskets, new ARP head bolts, TFS heads, nitrous, all fluids, you could invest it in to a Vortech kit.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, new to the forum. I have a 91 gt with gt40 heads, 1.6 roller rockers, and a f cam. Have underdrive pulleys and small stuff like that with 24# injectors. Anyone have an idea what intake would work best for me? Over the winter i am upgrading to 30# injectors and twisted wedge heads. Thank you

It really depends on what you want to do with the car. If it's a daily driver then maybe maybe a Cobra style intake will be better. If you want something to pull past 5500 RPM then Holley, Track Heat, or RPM II. I literally just swapped from Cobra to Holley intake. With TFS heads the Holley made about 15hp more, but 7lbs less tq. I dont really notice either the gain in hp or loss of tq, but the car doesn't fall on it's face at 5500 rpm anymore.

Go pick yourself up an Explorer intake from a local pick n pull for $100 and call it a day. No need to spend money on an aftermarket intake when you're just going to be choking it through a set of GT40 iron heads.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree but isnt a procharger like 3500 bucks for these and still need bigger injectors and stuff..and also isnt it better to have better heads for forced induction? Curiosity
GT-40 heads would love a Vortech super charger. After you strip your engine down again to put $1400 TF heads on, $600 intake, $275 accufab TB with egr spacer, $100 ARP bolts, $100 gaskets, $400 for new cam, lifters, locks, springs etc....$300 for new stud mount roller rockers, $80 for new GSS340 fuel pump, $200 for new 30lb injectors (your 24's would be fine though), $300 for new PromM MAF to match your 30# injectors, and other misc stuff will be about $3,700. You will gain probably 70-85 HP with this to net you maybe 300 rwhp which is typical for this combo. You'd benefit from getting a tune to maximize driveability and HP potential

$3k buys you a Vortech tuner kit, you'll need a bigger fuel pump, MAF, 42# injectors, and a tune as well. This should net you about 350 rwhp easily.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree but isnt a procharger like 3500 bucks for these and still need bigger injectors and stuff..and also isnt it better to have better heads for forced induction? Curiosity
If you're set on staying naturally aspirated and going with aluminum heads then I'll just be quite about going boosted. Ultimately it's up to you what you want, i'm just letting you know another option that probably isn't any more expensive then the road you're already going down.

Reactions: 3 users
If you're set on staying naturally aspirated and going with aluminum heads then I'll just be quite about going boosted. Ultimately it's up to you what you want, i'm just letting you know another option that probably isn't any more expensive then the road you're already going down.

x2 on this. My combo is tfs 170s, stage 1 cam, systemax intake. I make 281/307 on a conservative tune. Used S trims come up all time, it will be about the same or even less than a new top end and you will make more power. I went from stock, you already have a good base. Just my .02

Reactions: 2 users
GT-40 heads would love a Vortech super charger. After you strip your engine down again to put $1400 TF heads on, $600 intake, $275 accufab TB with egr spacer, $100 ARP bolts, $100 gaskets, $400 for new cam, lifters, locks, springs etc....$300 for new stud mount roller rockers, $80 for new GSS340 fuel pump, $200 for new 30lb injectors (your 24's would be fine though), $300 for new PromM MAF to match your 30# injectors, and other misc stuff will be about $3,700. You will gain probably 70-85 HP with this to net you maybe 300 rwhp which is typical for this combo. You'd benefit from getting a tune to maximize driveability and HP potential

$3k buys you a Vortech tuner kit, you'll need a bigger fuel pump, MAF, 42# injectors, and a tune as well. This should net you about 350 rwhp easily.
So what would it cost roughly to go vortech?

I'm going a whole different direction with what I think @Dan duffy should do with his money :D Sinking money in to Trick Flow heads will net you some HP but not a whole lot since you're already sportin' GT-40 heads. So it's not like you're going from stock to TFS which would be a bigger gain. With nitrous you have to fill the bottle and pray you never get a puddle in your intake runner and go BOOM!

My $.02 is add boost. You already have an OK combo so if I were you and had a few bucks I'd get a Vortech V3 kit. You'll have great driveability and 350'ish rwhp.

Those new roller rockers you have on your GT-40 heads won't transfer over (GT-40 is pedestal vs TFS is stud mount) nor will your pushrods. The money you save from having to buy all gaskets, new ARP head bolts, TFS heads, nitrous, all fluids, you could invest it in to a Vortech kit.
i picked up ~65rwhp (from 265 to 330) going from my gt40p/tfs1/streetheat combo to tw170/tfs2/rpm2. thats n/a. and with a kinda slow cam. the power potential is there if you don't sissy out like most people tend to (amazing how many people put too small of parts on and wonder why they're still slow), and pick the right components (and don't skimp on springs like i did). the newer tw11r's that are out now are even better than the old 170's for not much more $$.

the better heads will make even more power with less boost (more cfm) if you end up going that way eventually, though if you do you'll be knocking on the block-breaking door.

Reactions: 2 users
i picked up ~65rwhp (from 265 to 330) going from my gt40p/tfs1/streetheat combo to tw170/tfs2/rpm2. thats n/a. and with a kinda slow cam. the power potential is there if you don't sissy out like most people tend to (amazing how many people put too small of parts on and wonder why they're still slow), and pick the right components (and don't skimp on springs like i did). the newer tw11r's that are out now are even better than the old 170's for not much more $$.

the better heads will make even more power with less boost (more cfm) if you end up going that way eventually, though if you do you'll be knocking on the block-breaking door.
I don't disagree with anything you said however the OP did mention something about this car being a DD I think so I don't believe he should milk any combo to the max potential.