Progress Thread What To Do With My Frankenstein

I took my spare diff apart yesterday and I am repainting it getting rdy to put it back together. I am missing the torque spec for the nut that screws on the end of the pinion shaft.

Could you help me out pls.

There's no torque spec on the pinion nut, it's typically several hundred lb-ft to crush the crush sleeve until there is slight drag (inch-pounds) on the rotating assembly. If you've disassembled, you have to mark the exact location of the nut and return it to that place, or a new crush sleeve is needed (better), or a spacer and shim set which I like the best.

QA1 is a good brand from what I know. I can't speak of how they perform, but they should be pretty decent. Another option was shared on the .net site (iirc) about swapping a set of springs from another car that were cut down to fit. Then you can replace with a shock of your choice and gain the stiffer front end for a fraction of the cost. It seems to me that the springs they used were from an early 80s Tbird, but I don't remember that for sure right now.....

Here is a link to that article. They were from an 80 Tbird....

http://mustangii.net/stifferfrontsprings_faq.asp

Just for grins, I looked up what a new set of those springs would cost. The Oreilly's site has a couple different springs listed for about $110-115 per pair. Add a couple of new shocks and your at least half the price of the QA1 coil over system you linked. Just food for thought......

My ghetto oil filling pump.

Tried my new diff today.

It's a huge upgrade from my old one. It feels like a "normal" car, lol.

The 3.55 gear makes my 1rst gear usable. Feels right from first gear to highway.

Reactions: 1 user
Good deal! Sounds like you'll be able to enjoy your car a lot more now!! What did they do to the diff to make it a "posi"? Did they install a spool or did they just weld the spider gears?

Spider gears are welded in 4 different spots. The axles can turn 1/4 turn and then hits a weld.

I ordered the QA1 kit. I'm a suspension noob and don't trust that I will do it right or that it will leave a steady spring if I cut it.

I'm also wayting on some front seat vinyle. Any idea were I could get some new seat padding?

Next up is subframe connectors + traction bars.

Last edited:
I am now turning my attention to traction and braking.

What do you think of this:

Front brakes

Front wheels with 1inch spacer on ebay

Front tires 245/40r17

Rear brakes

Redrilled and studded Axles. (I have a spare set)

Rear wheels foose legend 17 x 9 with 5 1/4 backspace. 1 inch spacers also. May need an additional 1/4 spacer.

Rear tires 275/40r17

According to my measurements, with fenders rolled flat and a little beyond, this should leave at least 1/4 to 3/8 inch spacing minimum.

I'm trying to find some rear suspension parts to match my front suspension.

I see these shocks: https://m.summitracing.com/parts/art-22179858

I like that they are adjustable. Would that compensate for a less stiff spring?

I would also like to lower the back end. Are there any stiffer and lower leaf springs out there?

Should I replace my springs with stock replacements? I figure they probably have 40 years of bouncing under theyr belt.

Just finished installing the first coil over. It is a PITA to install. I'm sure there is a spring compressor out there that would help grately.

The ride hight is actually higher by 1/2 an inch with it screwed down as low as I would go. The nut on the shocks that adjusts the hight hits the lower swing arm if you hit a huge bump right now. (If the car were to lift up in the air I mean). In other words if I jack up the car off it's wheels, it touches. From the top of my fender to the ground is 22 3/4 inch. It might change a little bit when I do the other side tho.

This kit was clearly made for a chevy and modified to fit the 2. The pictures in the instructions show how to install it in a chevy. Wich btw looks like a much easier install.

With the shocks adjusted to 0, the is little difference between the left and right side. With the shock adjusted to 8, it feels more like what I was expecting, (approx twice to three times as stiff).

I must mention that the shocks I took out were shot...

Thx for the input. I had a chat with the people at summit. The instructions show a different kit than the one in the picture. They guaranteed me that I would get the kit in the instructions. With a 3 month lead time, I ordered it and we will see what I get in 3 months.

I am trying to look into fender flares and I'm having a hard time finding a good local shop to get a quote.

Any idea how much something like this would cost? Is this sheet metal work?

Nevermind, I got one guy to spit out a price over the phone. He quoted 10k for the job. 3-4k or fiberglass flare, 3-4k for bondo / install and 2k for paint. Thats the end of that, lol.