Which C- clip eliminator kit? And..28 vs 31 spline axles

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Looking at Summit, planning to buy some as the next intended purchase, but don't know which ones to get..I have the SN 95 disc brake rear.

Also planned is to buy a better diff, but when I built this thing, the goal was 450 ft lbs of torque on a street tire only combo..So when putting axles in this thing, I put Moser 28 spline axles.
And they're custom length..the rear in my car is narrowed to fit.

All thats changed now. The engine now makes who knows what torque,but its probably more than 450..( maybe not)
The tires are no longer " street tires" .

That brings me around to wondering if the current Moser axle is up to the task, before I further commit myself to keeping it 28 spline. Truth be told..despite the big assed drag radials, this car will probably see track time once in the bluest of moons..and my street racing days are waaay behind me.
MOF...ill be willing to wager that once these drag radials are either worn down, or I just get "tired" of them ( didja like that?;))..Actual street tires are going back on.
So then....If I'm keeping it a street car, I'd imagine a moser 28 spline axles is more than adequate, and while I'm at it, why would I need anything better than the t loc thats currently installed?

Somebody show me the light.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Just put the street tires back on after the DR are done (or you get 'tired' of them or it snaps an axel), can you get the guts from an explorer, I think they are 31 spline and axles trimmed to fit for a low buck up date?
With the 9" ends of course.
Just spit balling here

Just put the street tires back on after the DR are done (or you get 'tired' of them or it snaps an axel), can you get the guts from an explorer, I think they are 31 spline and axles trimmed to fit for a low buck up date?
With the 9" ends of course.
Just spit balling here
The car is going to be sketchy on a summer tire .

I vote for 9 inch ends over c clip eliminators .

That car going to be sketchy rolling into the throttle anyway.
The difference is it will stay in its intended direction on a sticky tire and not try to move for the weeds the second the tire brakes loose . The hotter the tire continues to get the less chance it makes a move on you . I have been driving my car for quite a few years now making decent power . I have had nitto nt555r and I have had Mickey Thompson’s . The car is much safer on a sticky tire like a Mickey .

Reactions: 1 users
The reason for the question is there appears to be a few different c clip eliminator models out there. Whether or not a "good" 28 spline axle is "good enough" to commit myself with an aftermarket diff, and.....
The drag radials completely cooled the car out.. maybe too much. "Sketchy" is no longer a descriptive term for how it accelerates...Now its more like...
"We'll be right back after THESE important messages:

I knew this would happen.

It kills street tires, it babies the drag radials..

This morning I'm shopping at 6 AM, buying sht to make a 4l80 stand up to 1000 hp... :bang:

And while a bolt in axle would be a good thing, and remind me of my 19 year old self..( because 19 year old me actually had a 9" rear under a 69 mach 1..)

IM NOT cutting the ends off of my existing rear end.
The only bolts holding my axles in are holding those leaky assed c clip eliminators on..

There is no mask to protect me from this virus.:nonono:

It seems to me that the best step is to ask Moser how much power on stick tires their axles are up to. If they say 28 splines are strong enough, that would make other decisions easier. Their axles may no longer be the weakest link.

It seems to me that the best step is to ask Moser how much power on stick tires their axles are up to. If they say 28 splines are strong enough, that would make other decisions easier. Their axles may no longer be the weakest link.
You read my thoughts..The plan tomorrow is to go to the mountain to ask if their axles are up to the task. depending on what they say, i’ll move forward on the rest of the junk.

You read my thoughts..The plan tomorrow is to go to the mountain to ask if their axles are up to the task. depending on what they say, i’ll move forward on the rest of the junk.
As far as your other question id say you want a eliminator for a 94-04 to keep your rear brakes happy

The 4 of us... :nonono:
Thanks guys..I appreciate the input.
Who knew a latch support, as uncommon as it is, would get 50 bagillion “ Theres not one on mine” replies, and something as common as a set of C clip eliminators gets.......chirpy bugs.

This place kills me.

Who knew a latch support, as uncommon as it is, would get 50 bagillion “ Theres not one on mine” replies, and something as common as a set of C clip eliminators gets.......chirpy bugs.

This place kills me.
LOL. Trust me when I update my thread I feel the same way . You get 6-7 likes and no real feedback . Not that what I do isn’t cookie cutter to an extent but still .

LOL. Trust me when I update my thread I feel the same way . You get 6-7 likes and no real feedback . Not that what I do isn’t cookie cutter to an extent but still .
It amazes me..You are what? 30 something maybe...NONE of these guys are doing anything that comes close to what you have done. The only place to get this kinda stuff is like Yellow Bullet, or The Turbo Forums,...but then No longer just about a ford, or even anything close.

Look, how many of us are pushing enough hp through the drive train to need c clip eliminators?
The few race car 8.8 rears that I've seen run 9" ends on the axle tubes, just a quick google found that c clip eliminators are not recommended on the street because they leak.
I personally have zero experience or knowledge about such things, just what I hear or read.

It amazes me..You are what? 30 something maybe...NONE of these guys are doing anything that comes close to what you have done. The only place to get this kinda stuff is like Yellow Bullet, or The Turbo Forums,...but then No longer just about a ford, or even anything close.
Sorry mike, I don’t really have much to offer. the two wanna be drag cars I had way back when -both had C clip eliminators from Yukon gear-one set was in a 79 Capri Belly button powered with an early 90’s 8.8 and a Summit spool.The other was an 80’s-somethin’ S10 With a 350 and a Lincoln locked rear gear. Both stock axles. Both abused heavily

I've never made enough power to know the answer to the question...

I can tell you how much power it takes to break virtually any transmission I've ever had (225hp for an AOD, 88hp for an A4LD, 120hp for a 700R4, 400hp for a TH350, 315hp for a TR3650, 120hp for a 4L60, 300hp for a 4L60E), but I've never made enough to break an axle. It ain't like I haven't tried, "Coporate 10-bolts" in GM trucks are supposed to be as fragile as glass, and 8" rear ends in Mustang IIs are supposed to magically grenade when you pass 300hp at the flywheel, but neither happened to me.

Look, how many of us are pushing enough hp through the drive train to need c clip eliminators?
The few race car 8.8 rears that I've seen run 9" ends on the axle tubes, just a quick google found that c clip eliminators are not recommended on the street because they leak.
I personally have zero experience or knowledge about such things, just what I hear or read.
it figures though...if this was about the japanese engine, or the GM trans, i’d get it. I guess by far and large, those who are making power have already done one of two things..they’ve either converted to an IRS, or have put 9” ends on the housing.
Sorry mike, I don’t really have much to offer. the two wanna be drag cars I had way back when -both had C clip eliminators from Yukon gear-one set was in a 79 Capri Belly button powered with an early 90’s 8.8 and a Summit spool.The other was an 80’s-somethin’ S10 With a 350 and a Lincoln locked rear gear. Both stock axles. Both abused heavily

I've never made enough power to know the answer to the question...

I can tell you how much power it takes to break virtually any transmission I've ever had (225hp for an AOD, 88hp for an A4LD, 120hp for a 700R4, 400hp for a TH350, 315hp for a TR3650, 120hp for a 4L60, 300hp for a 4L60E), but I've never made enough to break an axle. It ain't like I haven't tried, "Coporate 10-bolts" in GM trucks are supposed to be as fragile as glass, and 8" rear ends in Mustang IIs are supposed to magically grenade when you pass 300hp at the flywheel, but neither happened to me.
The simple fact that neither you nor raggedy have never broken a stock axle through abuse would’ve bolstered my confidence in the Moser units. Once I spend 500-750 on a diff i’m kinda stuck with it, so I just wanted some opinions. The stock examples are just as relevant.

Last edited:
Yeaaahhh...I shoulda known.

Spoke with Moser..their 28 spline axle is not “rated” to handle the kinda power i’m potentially making. Naturally, they want me to upgrade to a 31 spline at minimum.
That would mean, new 300.00 street axles, new 170.00 C-Clip eliminators, and a Detroit 31 spline tru-trac at 600.00.
They did find my old purchase history though..I had the current axles shortened to 24 15/16”. ( I’m writing this here so i won’t lose that) When it’s time to worry about all of that I will,....

just not today.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ll be 30 in February :eek:

Yeaaahhh...I shoulda known.

Spoke with Moser..their 28 spline axle is not “rated” to handle the kinda power i’m potentially making. Naturally, they want me to upgrade to a 31 spline at minimum.
That would mean, new 300.00 street axles, new 170.00 C-Clip eliminators, and a Detroit 31 spline tru-trac at 600.00.
They did find my old purchase history though..I had the current axles shortened to 24 15/16”. ( I’m writing this here so i won’t lose that) When it’s time to worry about all of that I will,....

just not today.
That’s my move eventually is to get going on another rear to handle what my car makes , right now it’s just welded axles tubes , cobra posi unit and 31 spline mosers .

I have the 9 inch ends already sitting .
Tru trac , moser 33s , welded axle tubes, mark willams 1350 yoke ( my ds speed sensor collar fits ), chromoly drive shaft with a sonnax input yoke . Powder coat the housing and that will be that . As you said though - not today . Later in time

This place kills me.
My other cars have press on axle bearings, and my Mustang still has stock rear drums. I do not remember ordering more than one C clip eliminator kit for a customer. Sorry, but I have not messed with that item.
I am surprised the Moser axles are not supposed to be up to the task. I remember reading about street vs. drag racing vs. off road axles. Something about twist resistance being traded off for shock resistance for bad roads and material costs. It was as technical as an ARP fastener article.:sleep:

Status
Not open for further replies.