Wheels-Tires 04 Mustang Wheels won't sit against rotor

Yeah, the old school 5-lug rotors won't fit some of the newer Ford wheels. The snout of the rotor contacts exactly where pictured.

You can try spacers, different wheels, or convert to Sn95 brakes. You can't just swap the brake rotors on, it's a more involved conversion requiring a spindle change and new calipers and potentially a new MC as well depending on if you do rear disk brakes or not.

94-97 Cobra wheels, 94-95 tri-bars will fit those rotors. 96-98 Split 5-spoke 17's will mount up, but you won't be able to run the center caps up front.
The car had split tri-bars on it before I bought it so what your saying makes sense on the wheels that will fit on my current setup. I thought about spacers also but I just lowered the car and would be afraid the spacers might cause wheel to body clearance issues.

My car does have drums in the rear so it sounds like a conversion would involve a master cylinder swap also.

• Sponsors (?)

There isn't.

So with rear drums you stick with your current MC and pick the best calipers to use. Any of the 4-wheel disk MC's are just too big and will give you a very firm pedal.

99-04 GT Front : 44.5mm pistons
-6220mm^2 x2 calipers (piston surface area)

87-93 60mm calipers
-5654mm^2 x 2 calipers (piston surface area)

99-04 COBRA 40.5mm pistons
-5152mm^2 x2 calipers (piston surface area)

So 99-04 GT calipers gets you a slightly softer pedal due to increasing piston surface area relative to the MC/rear drums not changing

And 99-04 Cobra calipers gets you a slightly firmer pedal.

Reactions: 1 user
If your going to use a stock K member the 94-95 spindles are the optimum way to go....
Some aftermarket K members allow the usage of the later 96 spindles.. Check with the supplier first..
The 94-95 spindles have a dog leg to the tie rod connection
The spindles in the pic are both 94-95.. This picture was a before cleaning and after pic.....
DSCF0776.JPG
I will be using the stock k-member so good to know I can only use 94-95. Do you know if the V6 will work and are the same as 94-95 V8?

What you have ( Ranger ) works fine but limits your use of upgrading brakes and limits what wheels you can use...
When upgrading to the 94-95 spindles you have many more options of wheels, options of better stock brakes, and you switch to a separate hub/rotor assembly instead of an " all in one" like what you have ( Ranger )...
Pic of what I did.... 94 spindles, 99-04 brakes, a separate sealed hub.... All bolt on using MM brake lines.....
DSCF1181.JPG
Thanks for the info and pics! Ultimately, this is what I would like to do but I will need to start gathering parts. I guess I'll just run the Ranger wheels I have for now until I get all of the swap stuff together.

There isn't.

So with rear drums you stick with your current MC and pick the best calipers to use. Any of the 4-wheel disk MC's are just too big and will give you a very firm pedal.

So 99-04 GT calipers gets you a slightly softer pedal due to increasing piston surface area relative to the MC/rear drums not changing

And 99-04 Cobra calipers gets you a slightly firmer pedal.
Thanks for letting me know I can use 99-04 GT or 99-04 Cobra calipers with my drum brakes and drum master cylinder. If in the future I wanted to upgrade to rear discs would I be able to keep the 99-04 GT or 99-04 Cobra caliper and just install the rear discs and change to a 4 wheel disc master cylinder?

I would recommend you start looking for 94-95 spindles first.. Once you have them the rest of the stuff you can buy..
If you have some local wrecking yards online, check their stock of cars daily if not weekly...
If one comes in get on it immediately and get the spindles... They are out there, but they are getting harder to find..
I was buying parts off an 84 at my local yard and looked up 94-95 cars... They had one and it still had its spindles.. Went the next morning and got them...

I would recommend you start looking for 94-95 spindles first.. Once you have them the rest of the stuff you can buy..
If you have some local wrecking yards online, check their stock of cars daily if not weekly...
If one comes in get on it immediately and get the spindles... They are out there, but they are getting harder to find..
I was buying parts off an 84 at my local yard and looked up 94-95 cars... They had one and it still had its spindles.. Went the next morning and got them...
There is a local yard with a 94-98 convertible v6 car; I'm not sure of the year but I'm going to try and stop by in the next few days to see if it's a 94-95. I'll check local wrecking yards online also.

Can I use V6 spindles or do they have to be from a V8 car?

Thanks for letting me know I can use 99-04 GT or 99-04 Cobra calipers with my drum brakes and drum master cylinder. If in the future I wanted to upgrade to rear discs would I be able to keep the 99-04 GT or 99-04 Cobra caliper and just install the rear discs and change to a 4 wheel disc master cylinder?

Yes. When you add rear disks you can swap the MC. There are solutions for that.

There’s a pinned thread in the tech section regarding 5-lug swaps. Give it a read when you have some time to kill.

There is a local yard with a 94-98 convertible v6 car; I'm not sure of the year but I'm going to try and stop by in the next few days to see if it's a 94-95. I'll check local wrecking yards online also.

Can I use V6 spindles or do they have to be from a V8 car?
I would recommend you jump when you see one in a parts yard... ... People charging big money on Ebay selling these.... LOTS of people looking...

Last edited:
Not a bad deal for a 94-04 GT rear setup already pulled. Just need 94-98 axles. Will work if you plan on running only SN95 17x8 rear wheels. If you ever want to go 9” or 10” you’ll want fox offset axles

Reactions: 1 users
Not a bad deal for a 94-04 GT rear setup already pulled. Just need 94-98 axles. Will work if you plan on running only SN95 17x8 rear wheels. If you ever want to go 9” or 10” you’ll want fox offset axles

I'd buy it like that and then use northracecar brackets for the fox axles.
One way you are buying the axles, the other way you are buying the brackets.
If the wheels sit in too far, just use spacers.

Back in the late 90's I did the same 5 lug conversion you have with Lincoln rotors and Ranger axles. I wanted to use the 1997-98 split spoke 17" wheels and the caps would not fit on the front. So 21 year old genius me bought some wheel spacers from the parts store and bolted the wheels on. A couple of weeks later I'm on the side of the road with the driver side wheel pointing straight and the passenger side wheel pointing right. I can't remember what broke, but I then ordered the Cobra brake conversion kit from Ford and did it the correct way.

Your issue had nothing to do with this type of 5 lug setup or spacers.
It was mechanical failure. Most likely a tie rod.
There is a reason it was called a Lincoln rotor swap, because it was used on Lincolns from the factory. It was done before the sn95 was even made.
I don't necessarily see it as right or wrong, more like different.

I ran the Mark 7 front rotors and rear drums for a long time with 1997 Cobra wheels. It worked perfectly fine. Wasn’t wrong, it just was one way to do it.

I did it back in 1999 so I was one of the first 5-lug fox-bodies around. Back then the M-2300-K kit was expensive and SN95 cars were still too new to one them being extensively parted out.

Reactions: 1 users