Progress Thread 12th Owner: My '93 Notchback Restoration & Performance Build

Got my car back today from the mechanic after swapping out the existing springs with upgraded Trick Flow dual valve springs. Turns out my longstanding two year problem WAS valve float. Car now pulls hard to 6250 rpm with no skipping or other engine drama. However, just 1.8 miles from my house my clutch pedal decided to go right to the floor. Not sure if I broke the cable or what happened. If it's not one thing it's another.
20210521_160634.jpg
Screenshot_20210521-212101_Chrome.jpg
Sounds like my week! Same thing happened to my car with the clutch pedal. My car has the McLeod hydraulic clutch kit and there was a threaded braided line that just popped off, luckily fixed it in 10 mins once I got it home

Attachments

• E6D798F7-309D-4354-9268-025E9B3F6BCE.jpeg
    E6D798F7-309D-4354-9268-025E9B3F6BCE.jpeg
    527.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Sponsors (?)

Ya, I'm not really sure how that all happened.
Its those threaded rod adjustable clutch cables. They are only 3 layers thick and if you get any heat they separate from the inside out.

Do yourself a favor and get the one from MM that is made the same way as the original Ford.

Reactions: 1 user
Called MM today. They confirmed that the LMR clutch cable, which they identify as Taiwan made, are subgrade clutch cables and will fail in time with the proper amount of heat. I bought MM's universal Ford style clutch cable (MMCL-11) and the clutch cable spacer kit (MMCL-17) which purposely spaces the cable away from the bellhousing to ensure no unintended touching and heat transfer. I'll finish it off with a protective heat resistant sleeve and hopefully won't have to deal with this ever again.

Reactions: 4 users
I installed the MM clutch cable yesterday. You get what you pay for and the MM one is leaps ahead of the LMR clutch cable. It's good to have a road worthy car again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just tell em you identify it as one “Bitchin” notch, that started life nowhere near being an SSP (if I remember correctly)! Looks great!

Can’t wait to get mine back up and running again so I can enjoy some shows..... with my car!

Reactions: 1 users
Recently had my speedometer needle act up again. Did my research and found a local speedometer repair shop out here. Apparently you can pull the complete speedometer out of the cluster and swap just the magnet. And a magnet from a 85 mph speedometer is interchangeable with the 140 mph speedometers. That helps cut down on trolling Ebay for a complete clusters.

What's the deal with these cars running so poorly when it's really hot out?

I've noticed that if I drive my car on 95+ degree days where heat coming off the road and being ingested by the car is likely 105+, the car will often buck when accelerating at high rpm. Other days with temps at 85 and below the car consistently runs great. Is this a common thing with fuel injected 302s? My car is mechanically sound otherwise to include "tune-up" parts. Silly question I know, but I like my car drama free.

What's the deal with these cars running so poorly when it's really hot out?

I've noticed that if I drive my car on 95+ degree days where heat coming off the road and being ingested by the car is likely 105+, the car will often buck when accelerating at high rpm. Other days with temps at 85 and below the car consistently runs great. Is this a common thing with fuel injected 302s? My car is mechanically sound otherwise to include "tune-up" parts. Silly question I know, but I like my car drama free.
Never had your issues and I drive on the surface of the sun( Nevada) daily with temps as high as 115.
Parkway speeds of 75/80 five days a week.