Progress Thread 1990 Lx 5.0 Dark Titanium "one Last Ride"

Pro 5.0 shifter. I thought about that too but just putting some of the many parts on the back burner while the wallet cools down lol! But yes, thank you I'll place it on my next (weekly!) order.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, it just too much to do and I can barely drive it (clutch is way too stiff). I'm carrying on so I can get it together to sell.

Here's some of shots of the interior. The colors look off in the photos from the back view but they're actually ok in person. Or maybe I'm really color blind! I've painted everything and have all but a few pieces to install on the driver side: roof trim, door panel, and fix the broken dash cover bracket so I can button up the column. Oddly enough, the two longer screws that are just below center of the black window housings weren't there. In fact there were no holes there. I guess they got lazy on the production line on some cars? My 89 had them as well as my 93.

I installed new door lock actuators as well. They're finally working. Mirror switch isn't working so one is on the way.

I was able to take the car out around town and fill up the car. No problems or issues other than I realize I can't drive it easily and despite a new FRPP cable that was already in it. Looking in there it appears that is has a CF pressure plate at the least. The firewall adjuster is all the way in (short as possible) and there's very little thread to spare at the bellhousing. It's also pretty wet in there so I see a rear main, flywheel, TOB, pilot bearing and clutch kit in my future.

IMG_5343.JPG
IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5339.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5337.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG
IMG_5335.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Once this is put together completely, what's a fair value of this car? It seems ragged out ones are sitting for high prices $5k+ and what appears to be nice ones fetch $10+.

There's not a lot of middle ground on these despite how many were made. Guessing they either got pampered or abused explains why.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Once this is put together completely, what's a fair value of this car? It seems ragged out ones are sitting for high prices $5k+ and what appears to be nice ones fetch $10+.

There's not a lot of middle ground on these despite how many were made. Guessing they either got pampered or abused explains why.
It's really hard to say because nada and Kelly blue book don't show these cars any love. I bought my car last month, guy was asking $6k, for a clean, repainted 92 calypso Lx 5.0 auto with 68k original miles, I ended paying $3500. This was after I lost a black 5lug swapped Lx 5speed I really wanted to a guy that paid $5000 ($1k more than I was willing to pay) now that car is on eBay for $15k:O_o:.

So with all that useless info I'd say you tally up what you have in it and try to make a profit.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks quiet one! That sounds like you did well on the Calypso. I paid that for the car I have which I'm guessing despite all the positives, you did very well! My hope is to pull the clutch apart and see what I can find. I'm really leaning this combo from Summit https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cmb-13-0047 as it has the CF DF clutch I've had before and was the easiest clutch I ever had for a mustang. I only pulled it out as it wasn't holding the power of the S trim I had with HCI car.

To make the car be something I can use, I need to have the clutch be somewhat doable. In all honesty I was really looking for an AOD with a stock long block that I could do a shift kit and 2800 stall converter with bolt on that I had on my old LX. Was reliable and fun yet docile to drive daily for a few years.

I'm assuming I should but the kit, a Pilot bearing, TOB, rear main and a clutch fork in the case that this one is bent. It really seems unusual to me that there's little thread and the firewall adjuster is all the way closed. I've never had that problem before. Seeing there's a CF pressure plate, I'm doubting it was new by the way the pedal feels. I'm also doubting the flywheel was turned or replaced but have no way of knowing until I pull it. Friend did the clutch around 5-6 years ago but doesn't really remember what they did/put in.

I think prices are widely regional based on demand. In my neck of the woods, Fox bodies were either stashed away in the garage, or driven year round. The later is a killer because the salt has taken it's toll on the car by this point, and you'll find guys asking $3-4K for something with holes as big as my head in the strut towers, that have been beat on, badly modified, and have 8-9 owners by now. I looked at 1-2 of these cars as something to drive around and not car if it gets dinged up, and they were total POS cars with owners claiming "these cars are worth $4-5K all day long" Turned me off and I started looking at Sn95's which tend to be cheaper up here and still stock and 1-2 owner cars.

Clean, 1-2 owner garaged cars pop up for sale once in a while in the $10K range. No idea what they sell for, but browsing the local CL, there's maybe 2 of those...and one is asking $13K.

Then you go down south, and it seems they are still a dime a dozen. I see guys saying they pick up clean cars for $4K or so.

The SoCal market seems to be a huge one for Foxes, and demand pretty high out there. Another region where I see higher prices.

Last night was installing the dash cluster after fixing both tabs and redoing the seat back backs. Just an FYI on the carpet stuff: When you buy the Acme set, it works and looks nice. For the bottom of the front seats (the area that you don't see unless some of it when the seat is reclined forward to enter in the back, and the section of the back of the back seats (where the latch mechanism is), they have a very dark grey section. I was ok with that. Once I ordered the ACC carpet, headliner, and the hatch carpet, ACC includes seat back sections for the rear seats. I ended up doing them again since they are a perfect match to all the other carpet. Nothing like doing something twice, but I think it was worth it and took under an hour for both sides.

So, seat backs are in other than attaching the bottom 6 screws (3 on each far end). The middle pivot stud bracket is cinched down already with the two nuts. With the interior practically done, I'll be all set for inspection tomorrow. I have not done the 92/93 dome light so hope to tackle that at a later time if not tonight.

I used the 90 dash cluster with the 87-89 steering column covers. I went over the upper and rubber lowers and like the way this is looking. A friend had the covers but I may pick up a new set at some point as these are somewhat rough in condition. The mirror switch should be coming today to button up the console. I used to loathe and tease those that got the Plug 'N Chug devices, but I did get the arm rest one as there's no good place to put a drink. Back in the 90's I used to smoke and drink Wawa 1/2 gallon tea cartons. Over time of wedging it in the E-brake and passenger seat I actually messed up my brake handle. Hopefully I'll not regret this holder.

Here's the progress as of last night:
IMG_5356.JPG
IMG_5355.JPG
IMG_5354.JPG
IMG_5353.JPG
IMG_5352.JPG

Reactions: 4 users
Interior is now complete other than the 92/93 dome light. I got to take it out to wring outa few gears. It smokes the narrow Kumho's in 1st, 2nd and granny shift to third chirps them. Seems pretty strong for sitting so long.

The seat cushions from TMI are nice but way too thick. I feel like I'm rolling out of the seat! But they feel nice and supportive otherwise. Power steering and TOB are whining like an old whore I once knew but it drives like stock with no hiccups and no drama. Wish me luck on the 45 mile round trip for inspection. It really shouldn't need anything as I've gone over it and I'm a (non practicing) Pa safety inspection mechanic.

Gratuitous pics:
IMG_5357.JPG
IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5365.JPG
IMG_5366.JPG

Sorry to hear about your health problems. The car is looking really nice. Have you considered converting to a hydraulic clutch? It would make the clutch way easier to push.

My brother ran that CF clutch you linked to in his '95 GT and best I can remember it had a really light pedal pressure.

Sorry to hear about your health problems. The car is looking really nice. Have you considered converting to a hydraulic clutch? It would make the clutch way easier to push.

My brother ran that CF clutch you linked to in his '95 GT and best I can remember it had a really light pedal pressure.

Thanks Dan. I'm not near as bad as most people. It took my mom a few years older than me now and an aunt (Lupas) . I actually have considered it but at this point I'm just not sure I'm in love to spend the money on a car I just find difficult to drive as a whole. The last Mustang I had was an 03 Cobra with a SPEC Stage 3+ clutch and this one really seems worse (Clutch effort and not as comfortable) but maybe the few years being out of the hobby softened me? Thanks for the info on that clutch kit. It seems like a nice kit and I remember how easy the CF clutch I had put in my old TKO was. I only swapped it as the blown setup was too much for it.

I've been meaning to update, but I am inspected and PA legal lol. The car drove the 50+ miles no problem round trip. It was then I realized how I really don't find it fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car, but I need to iron out a few issues whatever I do with this thing. First off the PS pump is whining bad. I need to address that. I identified it's leaking at the pump seal; not at rack or anywhere else. I put in 3 rack limiters a side to keep the pony wheels from rubbing at full lock. It sucks for turning radius! I may pull one out per side.

I noticed some low speed rattling (or bobbling like a bad strut mount). After pulling the struts out I realized that whoever installed the UPR C/C plates (Not my choice! They were on the car; I'd go with my fave MM) had the spacers down below and it was flexing the plates. Not sure how I missed this when I put the struts on the car. It had the originals on it that were shot. I also pulled the dust covers. I've had issues with them causing problems before.

Anyway, wife and I washed the car yesterday and I took a few photos nearby. I took it out for a few blasts. It blows the tires off and 2nd and if keep on the throttle and feather 2nd, I get some rubber partway through 3rd. I guess that's all a HCI 5.0 has? It's been a while for me!

IMG_5391.JPG
IMG_5390.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5382.JPG
IMG_5381.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG
IMG_5376.JPG
IMG_5369.JPG
IMG_5367.JPG

It's been some time since I've put up any sort of update so I figured I'm due. I haven't done a whole lot as I'm somewhat uncertain what I may do with the car: keep, sell, etc. I've taken the car out a few times and romped on it pretty good. It seems a bit soft to me but maybe I'm just expecting too much or forgetting what needs to be done. I found the timing to be 23 initial. I backed it off to 16 and it felt soft. I need to check true TDC and see what works best.

As for what I've been working on, I did order the CF clutch kit above and associated parts to fix the rear main or leak. I'd love to go hydraulic but I just don't see myself bother to drive this car much even if I keep it. I've been waiting for some cooler weather to get this started.

I did however install the new map pockets, new DS PW motor that died, and new window bushings so the windows work perfectly.
IMG_5433.JPG

IMG_5432.JPG

And the motor has been running flawlessly. Idle is 700 warm and 800 full hot.
IMG_5426.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG

Got the decals on the rear quarter windows. Measured against original. Original below. The new decals looks very white, but I remember them being pretty white when new so guessing the originals fade over the years.
IMG_5398.JPG
IMG_5478.JPG

IMG_5010.JPG

Last edited: