2Blue2's 1977 Cobra2 Driveway Build

Manual rack ftw. :banana:

It really doesn't take much to use one either. The power steering shaft will need cut down and use a Borgeson joint to connect it at the rack. Then you'd have no more power steering pump squeal. :cheers:

I would recommend keeping tire width down for stopped or low speed turns.

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It could happen, now with new exhaust it revs quicker in gear and the slipping squealing is a problem.

The son and I have about half the 40 hours needed for his drivers license and most of that has been in the Cobra. We been cruising !

Taught him how to roll /coast by his friends house, click to neutral, open exhaust cut out, and give em the double Rev.;) then back in gear and keep cruising on by. Friend then texts him excitedly. LOL :p That passenger seat has my butt print for sure.

I'm having fun cruising with my kid.:):D:):D

We just replaced the o rings seals on the vacuum modulator and the speedo cable, still trying to solve all this trans seeping~leaking~dripping on the new exhaust problems. Did band adjustment nuts too. I hope that gets it, we be running out of external seals to fiddle with.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of that...?

Still got a few pieces to collect but am working on that for sure.

waiting its turn for some parts financing cuze I blew budget on getting the trans, clutch cable, and some other.parts

I got a buddy who might cough up a 157t aluminum flywheel for it. Working that angle now. Oh your glass looks dry, here let my pour you another drink.
:cheers:

I went across the street for a bonfire and made sure my glass was full last night. It was a beautiful night. Almost felt like fall.
So you have a line on the flywheel. The clutch is all you need then? Shifter?

Reactions: 1 user
The clutch is all you need then? Shifter?

Got a neat~o shifter in the mail. Ordered matching shift Knob(read cheap).

Old trans cossmember has the stock y pipe (now x) bolted to it. The new crossmember will mandate some exhaust modification.
Will 5sp trans and clutch linkage clear with old exhaust Y or do I need to step up to headers now for this swap.
Also I would like to find a second drive shaft to modify for the T5. I think someone said my starter will still work with t5 but not with the headers.

List of still needed items;

Money(lots)
starter
Flywheel
Clutch, plate, throw out bearing
Fork
Fork cover
shifter boot
headers?
driveshaft to mod
Beer(lots)

But have a fun shifter for 42$ on door step (included dramatic ad picture)
Hope its not too cheap a POS but looks nice:p I'm a sucker for blue anodizing.
IhKysr1RQxGNNstQsKwawg.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Got a neat~o shifter in the mail. Ordered matching shift Knob(read cheap).

Old trans cossmember has the stock y pipe (now x) bolted to it. The new crossmember will mandate some exhaust modification.
Will 5sp trans and clutch linkage clear with old exhaust Y or do I need to step up to headers now for this swap.
Also I would like to find a second drive shaft to modify for the T5. I think someone said my starter will still work with t5 but not with the headers.

List of still needed items;

Money(lots)
starter
Flywheel
Clutch, plate, throw out bearing
Fork
Fork cover
shifter boot
headers?
driveshaft to mod
Beer(lots)
I would think the stock exhaust would fit. I'm pretty sure the headers would have be be nudged with a hammer to fit. But my experience is with the stock bell. I don't know if the starters were different on a C4 vs. a manual transmission. I also think your clutch options are much better (cheaper) than with the stock. Did you figure out the tailshaft and speedo?

The stock auto and manual starters are different. They look identical but the throw is different. Not sure which pops out further but they are different. The starter depends on what flywheel and bell you use. Match it to whatever those two came out of. If using headers and money isnt a hinderance get a gear reduction starter no matter what bell. Easier to replace and more room for activities!

Headers depend on what bell you use. Iirc the fox and quick time bells need more adjustments to headers and some just don't fit. I do believe all bells fit with stock exhaust manifolds. I don't remember anyone mentioning a different y based on manual vs v8. My headers run below the fork. Your fork is clocked higher isn't it? I would be more worried about bell clearance vs fork. The headers hug my II bell very tight.

I don't have a decorative shifter boot yet although I do have the early fox shifter seal. It sits on the tunnel under the carpet and seals pretty well.

Fork cover is unnecessary weight. A nicety but not a necessity.

Shiny Muffler :banana: :):nice: Its talking to the neighborhood these days, saying ~ vup vup vup vup VROOM! vup vup vup.

But car is covered in saw dust, its like some ones cut through a whole truck load of wood next to it. So annoying.:cautious:

On a side note hole in roof is filled and roofing delivered.
Roofers coming today. I hear he has a black and gold fun mustang.
Oh wait that might be me too.:confused:

+MBIftnzRVqiHKpuch+51g.jpg
ybaAzPTyT2q9cPwIx22YHg.jpg
mW%Db9lqROusHvcDJrQsRQ.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
My buddy dropped of the Aluminum flywheel. What a guy! there will be a little something extra in his xmas stocking this year :nice: He likes Scotch.

I has one marking on saying " F 157" but no brand.
He got it from another mutual friend.
Both don't now nothing about its previous life, balance or anything.

Being 157 you'd think it was a 50oz balance, but seeing all the steel plugs worries me.
The guy i got it from stopped by the machine shop yesterday to see if they could shed some light on it.
They said they have no idea and were surprised by all the metal slugs in it.

So I don't know! Help!!

IMG_6362.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

Looking for possible brands for Ford al flywheel

Hays
Ford
Fidanza
Scheifer
Ram
Centerforce
McLeod
SPEC

Ram with 28.8 imbalance weights ................Ford with 50oz imbalance weights
6051527_R_35c9f86b-415a-4031-981c-6d877ddafdba.jpg
M-6375-C302B-2T.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
First comment on exhaust pipe length was "OW! |{%#@ muffler burned my leg!"
By my son as he got his stuff out of the back.
Not burned bad or anything but...

CWMFrSSUSDWNpic60eU1jw.jpg