Fox 3.8 Essex Into Fox Body

Devin7344

Aug 29, 2016
Hey everybody I just joined the forum and this is my first post. (Sorry if it's in the wrong place) I've been wanting to get a fox body for a while but don't really have the money for a nice 5.0. However, I see rollers for about $500 on Craigslist which is more in my budget. Now I have an old mercury cougar that only has 83k on its essex v6. So what all would I need to put the v6 in the fox body? Seeing as how the fox came with the 3.8 I know it will bolt in, so will I just need the wiring harness for a v6 mustang? Thanks in advance for any help

• Sponsors (?)

Hey! My blue car has an Essex V6!

Sure, ok, it doesn't run right now and it's been sitting in a salvage yard for the past fifteen years.

And, alright, when it is running again it'll have a whopping 115hp (meaning almost 90 at the rear wheels).

That doesn't make it a dog though!:nonono:

Uhmmm....nvm.

You dont see many Cougars anymore, fix it or sell it like Mike said.

You can use the cash for allot of fix up on a roller or already running fox...

haha i know it will be pretty slow but this will mainly just be a daily driver until i get some more money for a nicer mustang (currently a college student with little money). i just like the look of the fox bodies and need something for driving around town. i have thought about selling the cougar since i got it for free and so anything would a profit, however the body and interior are in pretty terrible shape so i doubt i get more than a few hundred for it. So what additional pieces would i need to make the swap happen? Should it be relatively simple?

Repeat of what Mike said. Sell the cougar and install a junkyard 93-97 Explorer motor, It already has the GT40 heads, intake and throttle body. There are some parts that need to be changed but nothing major if you want to keep the same cam in it.

Any engine swap is going to cost you money, and some considerable know-how. The 87+ never came with a V6, so there is no engine harness that will work. You'll pretty much need to go carbed in that case. What you'll save on not buying an explorer junkyard engine, you'll make up for in all the little odds and ends you'll need to get the car running. Plus you actually need the time to do it.

Honestly, drive what you have, and save your money and focus on school and graduating debt free. When you graduate, go get yourself a nice job and buy yourself a nice reward. I drove a crappy 1993 Mark 8 in college that had leaking airbag suspension and some weird stains on the backseat. When I graduated and started working is when I got myself a nicer car.

Reactions: 1 user
Mike's right, it'll be about the same amount of work for the V8 as for the V6.

The V8 will be much more fun for you with much greater aftermarket support for it.

While I agree with everybody above, if you have your heart set on an Essex V6 in a foxbody, you might as well go all out with a SC 3.8 out of a Thunderbird SC:
http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5727743348.html

Dave, I bet one of those SC 3.8's would bolt right in place of the V6 your blue car has now.
It will. There's a t-bird sc in the yard right next to my car.

All's it takes is money.....