Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

6 bottles-not enough.
The amber liquid was booze. (Whew)
Also found a bottle of Clear liquid. (yes it's booze.)
I should be able to make it to Friday when I lift my self imposed quarantine.

Reactions: 1 user
6 bottles of rum are for the evacuation/walking dead scenario... There is no better lightweight packing to get drunk :O_o:

Sold the cragar wheels for a good price today. Seems the minilite thing will happen perhaps, but there are many things first for what I'm not motivated at the moment...

Reactions: 2 users
I need your help: I ordered this pypes downpipe that fit 66 Mustangs with standard manifolds. passenger side fits nearly perfect, but driver side needs a little bit o work, but thats related to my hydraulic clutch setup.
My biggest problem is, that the donut gasket doesn't fit onto the pypes downpipe by about 0,2mm in diameter. I tried to grind a bit material off the downpipe in this area but it wasn't enough. The first half i could slip the donut on by hand, for the second half I tapped it slightly with a hammer, but it has now a crack. To be honest I never exchanged a donut gasket. Do they normally slip on without force?
I wan't to redo it only one time... :(

There are subtly different sizes for sure
Try a different brand?

I've never heard of having to file the pipe down to work, get the right size?
I had to buy 3 time to get right size last time
M2 parts are listed incorrectly often in the parts books of the world.

Different car, but interesting result I want to share.
I recolored the carpet of my 66 mustang. It's the original carpet (it was black!) that I cleaned with vacuum cleaner and used carpet spray can that was "brushed in" with a 120mm wide paint brush. Worked great. Had to make 4-5 layers color onto the drive shaft tunnel, but now it looks well. Especially with new saftey belts :cool:
IMG_20191005_174947.jpg

IMG_20200417_182403.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Today I tried to get my tire/wheel combo on my 66 approved by german TÜV...
After 20 minutes all 4 inspectors where looking at the car. And after they loaded 6 heavy sandbacks into the trunk and two inspectors where also pushing the car down they said the tire is rubbing at the rear fender :confused:
Just to get it right... I'm driving like this for around two years.
On the other hand if I'm involved into a crash I can get in big trouble if it is not approved in the papers.
The good thing is the fenders on the front are already rolled before i bought the car and the inspectors are fine with the front. So lets buy a fender roller (about 30 from ebay) and try to not mess up the paint...

The Mustang II is standing for 1 month gathering dust.
But there is a secret plan behind all this: I will try to sell the 66 Mustang (only 2 point seat belts and no possibility to take my daughter with me in the children saftey seat) and perhaps I will get a car from the 2000s with an LS in it. Only two seats but 3-point-belt and an AC and an factory titanium exhaust. And fast before germany gets a speed limit on the autobahn.

I hope you won't regret selling the 66, but I understand the concern. And it's nice to know that government officials are jackasses no matter where you are in the world. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
No joke. The discussion popped up 3 times in the last years. There were minimum 2 votes in parliament. The Netherlands just reduced their speed limit from 130 to 100 kmh on their "autobahn"... it could be that it will come in the next years.
In France they reduced the speed limit on the country road from 100 to 80. That sucks completely! Most of the french complain about that, too.

I'm thinking again about the wheels and brakes. I kept the 9'' rotors (they are new, but original replacement) but upgraded the pads. So I will use the 4 lug pattern which the minilite wheels will fit. BUT what is when I want to upgrade the brakes? Are there any 11'' rotors (or bigger) with the standard 4 lug pattern? I just know the disk brake upgrade kit with 5 lugs...
It would not make sens to buy the expensive minilites if they limit the upgrade possibilities.

I don't think rotors would be a problem given there are a multitude of Mustang II front end kits for street rodders. You're right, if you plan to upgrade the front brakes in the somewhat near future buying new wheels would be a waste of money. That's money that could go toward the upgrade.