Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

Yes, they are meant to be also used on motorcycles. I know some people who had used them with a very good results on their classic cars to get it road-legal or to get rid of drone. You get them for many pipe sizes.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Together with my wife I did get the initial ignition timing setup somewhere around 10° BTDC. Now it runs quite good. It idles at around 750 RPM (around 1000RPM with a 6 cylinder tacho), starts when warm. Cold start idle RPM still needs to be setup.
MY CAR IS NOW ABLE TO MOVE OUTSIDE THE GARAGE BY ITS OWN!!! And reverse works, too. Clutch feeling couldn't be better. That is a big win!
The heater core is leaking and the carpet was wet (and you see water under the car in the video), so I utilize the new ability of my car and removed the seats and carpet outside of the garage (small garage).
Power steering works too without leaking, but feels flimsy. But the tires are completely new and the garage ground is slippery, so let's see how she feels, when I'm on the road. But with some wear on the tires and smaller steering wheel it feels perhaps alright.

The fuel pump relay works too (only when the engine is running, the fuel pump runs too).
And as you can here in the second video the e-fan also works.
Quite successful, even when the heater core is leaking. I leave it perhaps disconnected. Does someone has experience with good quality replacement heater cores?

:poo:ty heater core. I thought I will bolt stuff in from now on and not out. I removed the carpet again.
It will go to the trash because shipping costs are lower than usual at the moment, so there will be a new carpet on the way to germany soon. So this is a quite okay, even it's :poo:ty (both at the same time;like Schrödingers cat). I also will replace the heater core, because for TÜV I need a heater for the front windshield and it isn't that expensive and the carpet is removed...
With the new carpet I will also bolt in some new universal safety belts and get rid of the lower seat belt retractor and this giant plastic cover (not sure if this is specific to 74 model).
@MustangIIMatt I read your thread about the new seat belts. As I understood you also have only a bracket beside the seat that bolts into one of the holes of the old retractor?!

Reactions: 1 user
@MustangIIMatt I read your thread about the new seat belts. As I understood you also have only a bracket beside the seat that bolts into one of the holes of the old retractor?!
Correct.

I've played with the idea of bolting a piece of steel across both holes and centering the anchor point, but never actually gotten around to it.

• Informative
I was off work yesterday. It took the whole day to get the hood measured/marked and cut for the hood scoop.
Today I polished to hood and prepped the scoop for painting. Tomorrow it will be around 55°F and sunny, so I should be able to get the scoop painted.
Perhaps the scoop will be bolted to the hood and the hood bolted to the car again on the weekend...

:poo:ty heater core. I thought I will bolt stuff in from now on and not out. I removed the carpet again. I also will replace the heater core,
Having replaced my heater core twice. (much needed in Minnesota) The best way is to remove the dash pad and do it from the top. I think you'll also want to remove the glove box.

Having replaced my heater core twice. (much needed in Minnesota) The best way is to remove the dash pad and do it from the top. I think you'll also want to remove the glove box.
Are you talking about leaving the heater assembly in place and just removing the front cover to get to the heater core?
My plan was pulling the whole heater assembly, but this would be more work. Beside the dash pad is in storage since 3 years....

The scoop needs to be wet sanded and polished. But I will wait till next week, till I start this. The hood is back on. Carpet and heater arrived last week, this will be the task for Wednesday. Thereby that I'm off work every Wednesday till Christmas, I hope to get most of the interior back into the car and the scoop done till end of the year.
IMG_20201118_151928.jpg

IMG_20201122_154102.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Didn't do much at the car. I have put the carpet in and cut for the hand brake and at the firewall. It's in there since 2 weeks and I didn't have much time to work on the car. And it needs time to "relax"... The driver side reinforcement isn't perfect in place, but the rest seems to be okay. I will wait a little longer till my motivation is back. Its more work to get the carpet in and cut than I thought. Especially because there is no holes pre-cut, where you can orientated the carpet. Even the sides needs to be cut to fit, so it's all up to me doing it right... that sucks.
Wet sanding and polishing wasn't a success at the scoop. The color doesn't mach perfect and at the hood it is more than noticeable. So the scoop will be painted black, when the weather is getting warm again. No problem for me, because I like black scoops on blue cars. Will look perfect when the black decals for more HP will be added also :jester:

Reactions: 2 users
I was looking at ebay.com for decals some time ago. This is where I found the same snakes you have on your car now. I want them on the fenders, too.
I was also thinking of some boss hockey stick decals. But I don't think that this will look good on my car.
I also was thinking of making one black strip on the hood in front of the scoop (there is a scratch on the hood). But I'm also not so much into that right now. Because there is also a scratch on the trunk lid, just above the trunk key, something like a car logo would be perfect.

My thoughts are going into the direction: having two different views of snakes but in the same style. Snakes in side view for the fenders and snakes in a frontal view for the hood and the trunk lid.
Something like this for the fenders:
7964dba501f7bbd4264f4bb98ea65b9a.jpg

And something like the old shelby logo for trunk and hood:
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

But in black and kind of the same style... Didn't find something I don't like something asymmetrical for the frontal view...
Perhaps my wife needs to make the graphics. It's easy to find someone who can plot/cut them.

But first things, first. I will need to get the car registered and on the road before I put anything on it. I'm still afraid that german TÜV will be a big obstacle.

TUV. Must be the equivalent of the DMV in the states. We used to have an All Star Wrestler for a governor and one of the things he did is get rid of the vehicle check stations. WooHoo! Saved the State about $20,000,000.00 per year. He was tired of going through the hassle trying to get his vintage Porsche Boxster checked off. Pulled the air pump off the next day. I feel for you.

• Haha
Motivation was back today. I put in the seat belt part with the lock because they fix the carpet quiet well over the tunnel and keep them in the area between the tunnel and the floor pan. Looks good so far. I think tomorrow I can try to get the seats in. Then I think the best way is to get the rear side panels in. Than the rear seat bench. And finally the sill plates and kick panels, which will needs the most precise cutting.

The door panels are also installed. Because the carpet is now black, I also colored the lower part of the panels, which is made of carpet, with the black carpet spray I still have from my 66 hardtop.

Reactions: 3 users