94 Cobra Progress Thread (formerly Help Me Decide Thread)

But don't worry, I haven't forgotten my true love....

vJ8RL8.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks @Davedacarpainter , any advice on working out that original paint to bring it back to life?
Be careful about buffing. I assume it’s base/clear by that year, but I could be wrong. Start off gentle with just a glaze and a black foam pad.

Obviously the repaint stuff is a whole other animal:

Hey Chris, as far as the color match goes, I've been using both Sherwin Williams and Sikkens color match cameras pretty extensively lately. They both seem to get pretty darn close on solid reds.

I'm not sure of the other manufacturers matching equipment, but see if your local paint store or body shop if you decide you want someone else to paint it has a color match camera.

Or you could just ship the whole car to me here in Oklahoma and I'll take care of it for you. Be sure to send the title with it:D.

Reactions: 1 users
Be careful about buffing. I assume it’s base/clear by that year, but I could be wrong. Start off gentle with just a glaze and a black foam pad.

Obviously the repaint stuff is a whole other animal:

Agree with Dave. Unless you are very experienced with a rotary buffer do not use one. Way too easy to burn paint off of an edge. Get a good DA polisher and either foam or microfiber pads and Meguiars 205. It is pretty mild on the paint bit has just enough cut to remove light swirl marks. You can always go more aggressive later. You don't know how much clear has been removed by the previous owner by sanding and buffing. All of the UV protection is in the top 30% or so of the clear. Once that layer is removed through sanding and/or buffing the clear will fail and start peeling and fading. Keep it waxed monthly for added UV protection. I used to own a show car paint correction business so feel free ask any questions about restoring the original paint.

Reactions: 1 users