deck spoiler/wing removal

DokterD

Jul 15, 2006
MD
I am considering removal of the airplane wing on my 07 to allow me to go "wingless". Has anyone done this and how did you deal with the holes?

And by the way, anyone thinking a 4.10 is too much should drive a Stang with those gears and it will change your mind. I have just had installed: FRPP4.10s, UMI UCA, UMI relocation brackets, (Spohn LCAs installed a while ago did NOT stop the hop), UMI stuff installed with gears and Brenspeed tune. Waaay more fun to drive. No wheel hop at all. Worth the money!

• Sponsors (?)

I removed my pedestal spoiler and installed a GT500. The hardest part is removing the double sided tape. I'd suggest using a goo-gone type product. There are things to plug the holes but I'd suggest going to a body shop and seeing if they can professionally fill them in so that it's flush

I removed mine as well...the double sided tape/adhesive is a pain to get off...i actually dented my trunk lid from pulling off the spoiler. Very slight dent, but very noticeable if looked at in the right light.

After removing the spoiler, the car looked hideous so I put the GT500 spoiler on.

So, Yes, have a body shop repair the holes...which will cost you more than just putting a better spoiler on.

I just recently was debating the same thing (going wing/spoiler less) so I called two body shops in my area, I was given a quote from the first shop for 375 and the second shop quoted me 425, both shops told me that Red (my car is torch red) is the most expensive paint color right now and that they could blend the paint no problems but they would have to clear the whole trunk lid, as clear does not blend well.

That was quite a bit more than I wanted to spend just to fill 4 small holes and and blend a little red paint and clear it, I was thinking it would be no more than 225-250, dont get me wrong I understand paint,labor,clear etc.... is not cheap, but I really didnt want to spend 400 just to go wing less.

So I went with a GT500 Spoiler I found on Ebay for $125 pre-painted and shipped free, the paint matched perfectly and was fairly easy to install, like a member already said, the hardest part was removing the factory double sided tape, and I actually was pretty lucky, both sides pulled off in one piece, the thing that took me the longest to do was make 100% sure it was perfectly centered, because once you press down on the GT500 spoiler and the double sided tape makes contact with the car, you're pretty much done. I folded back all the corners of the tape and had it hanging out an inch or two, just enough so I could pull it once I had the spoiler exactly where I wanted it, it worked like a charm, I used two of the factory holes to also bolt down the spoiler and the spoiler covered the two remaining holes, and I used a little silicone on the inside of the trunk lid to seal those two holes.

Heres a tip, if you're going to do this, use some fishing string to remove the factory wing from the car, once you loosen the 2 nuts (do one side at a time) use the fishing string to help cut thru the double sided tape thats holding the factory wing to the trunk lid, it works perfectly :nice: You can also use a credit card, but, if you're not VERY careful you WILL scratch your paint!!

Best of luck!!