Double Din stereo in a Fox

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
As much as i love having the OE CD player in my fox, i think it's time to modernize. Part of this decision is due to having to relocate the amp under the passenger seat for the aftermarket seat mounts.

Anyway, looking at doubledin units like the Sony XAV-AX100 lack the CD player so they are reallysingle din radios with the DD faceplate, so they should clear easily.

Sony-XAV-AX100_side-1.jpg

Question is...are there any no drill options for mounting this? I do NOT want to drill into my console with 4 phillips head screws. I haven't pulled the radio out yet to see if the opening would support the radio itself without an external mount kit? Above radio looks like it could almost mount like the stock fox setup.

Finally, i'm tryiung to decide on a nice radio to use. I'd like one with BT and app support. It doesn't need to haveGPS but would be nice if it supported WAZE. A rear camera would be nice as well. Would like something with enough power to power the speakers without an external amp. I don't want to spend crazy money either as it's a car i rarely drive.

• Sponsors (?)

In mustangs you don't need that wonky screw on faceplate. The hole is the right size already. With a single din all you need to do is remove the cubby from the factory radio and trim the plastic bracket on the top of it. It'll pop in right below the aftermarket radio. It should fit behind that radios screen.

I hate seeing people screw into the console for no reason.

A regular double din will fit also... but the bottom rear corner will hit the top in the trans tunnel. A few whacks with a BFH solves that problem easily. It only needs a little more room.

I'd like one with BT and app support. It doesn't need to haveGPS but would be nice if it supported WAZE. A rear camera would be nice as well. Would like something with enough power to power the speakers without an external amp. I don't want to spend crazy money either as it's a car i rarely drive.
This Pumpkin brand came up few weeks ago and it really got me thinking about getting one as it is very cheap and has all the features I could want and then some. The reviews seem to be mostly favorable as well and right now Amazon has a $20 off coupon making it only $279 so might be worth a look. :shrug:

Amazon product ASIN B079N9XDFTView: https://www.amazon.com/PUMPKIN-Android-Stereo-Support-Fastboot/dp/B079N9XDFT/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541614227&sr=8-1&keywords=AE0273B

Haha, funny this subject came up. I started hacking my dash to install a GPS/DVD double din that Ive had in a couple of my wife's vehicles, but got side tra ked and havent finished the product yet. I am moving my HVAC down low so that I can see my screen easier. The goal is for it to not look hacked, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
It is hard to deal with a double din in a 5 speed. Hard to see...and depending on how the face opens it may be impossible to change DVDs while in 1st 3rd or 5th.

I'd like to see that project come together @95BlueStallion

• Agree
It is hard to deal with a double din in a 5 speed. Hard to see...and depending on how the face opens it may be impossible to change DVDs while in 1st 3rd or 5th.

Agree on seeing the screen. The radio location on a fox sucks. But I'm going for it more for phone connectivity. It would be nice to have my phone gps play over the speakers so I can actually hear it, plus speak to text function.

If you look at the unit I posted above, it doesn't even accept cds. Strictly Bluetooth or sat radio or USB

Reactions: 1 users

It will eventually. The inner dash was trimmed in a manner where there is no going back. My biggest slow down is the cold. My garage is not insulated well, so I unfortunately do not go out much throughout the winter.

@Mustang5L5, I would have gone the route you are if I didnt already own the unit I have. Paid over $900 for it years back, cant not use it. Im hoping the DVD feature helps me be able to take the car on a road trip with my boys. Im considering MW 2019, and just having my wife and daughter fly out.

It will eventually. The inner dash was trimmed in a manner where there is no going back. My biggest slow down is the cold. My garage is not insulated well, so I unfortunately do not go out much throughout the winter.

@Mustang5L5, I would have gone the route you are if I didnt already own the unit I have. Paid over $900 for it years back, cant not use it. Im hoping the DVD feature helps me be able to take the car on a road trip with my boys. Im considering MW 2019, and just having my wife and daughter fly out.

Pull the console? Bring it inside? I guess you kinda need the dash as well for this project?

Guess i'll snag a wiring harness and pick up a radio over the winter and see what the end result is. I haven't decided on a head unit yet though