Progress Thread HeHateMe gets bent

Are the rear window “vents” covering the Louvers, or did they replace them? I think they would look good on an 87 up Fox hatch that has window gasket deterioration. Does anyone know the brand or a source?

• Sponsors (?)

Well, tomorrow I will solder up the power distribution box, hopefully. I spent several hours today, basically reverse engineering what I've already done, making sure I have the correct wires and deciphering what fusible link they went to and what amperage that fusible link is rated for. This leads to soldering a lot of it up. I can't solder up the relays yet....I need to make a new headlight harness for the headlight relays and I still have to swap out the Holley C950 system for the HolleyHP so I can wire up the cooling fan relays. I can ground the relay coils tomorrow and run the fans hopefully.

Which leads to the changing of the title of this thread. Hopefully tomorrow I can get what I am ready to do, done and then power up the car. I am hoping the interior power works and all accessories, radio, window motors AND that my :poo: doesn't burst into flames. I'll have a 20lb extinguisher at the ready. Reviewing my pics, I see I missed the grommet on one of my wires. Gotta move that wire to where it belongs before I start. I also need to make a ground lug that will be up in the fender well somewhere.

IMG_20180902_153539.jpg
IMG_20180902_153544.jpg
IMG_20180902_163117.jpg
IMG_20180902_163124.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
No fire dept. Of course there's no power so there can be no fire. I hooked everything up and plugged in one circuit at a time and noticed no arcing or noises. I got in the car and nothing. I was thinking great. Effing great. So I get the Fluke out and check B+ 12.96 V. Then I look and I pulled a good one. I put the + Battery cable on the starter post of the solenoid (the starter isn't hooked up), so I guess it was empty and inviting.

When I reconnected the battery there was some arcing, so something's hot. Not smoke! Good news. I look inside the car and my glove box door is open and the glove box light is on. That's a good sign. I put the key in and turn and the seat belt light comes on and the clock is on. I turn on the radio and it works. I don't have really any lights either in the car or hooked up and I don't have my digital gauges hooked up or the heavy wire for the defrost which I think powers some other stuff.

Then I spent some time untangling the mess of wires where it comes out of the firewall behind the brake booster. What a cluster. So I think I've got this part knocked out.

Next up will be to create the headlight harness and tie it to the 2 relays for them. Then get all the front lights reinstalled along with my LED headlights. I would like to find some replacement fog lights as my Marchals are in pretty shape and this car is FAR from original and someone who wants to restore one might need them.
That being said, I need to find some replacement aftermarket fog lights.

Onward we go.

IMG_20180903_145222.jpg
IMG_20180903_145224.jpg
IMG_20180903_145228.jpg
IMG_20180903_145229.jpg
IMG_20180903_153324.jpg

Lol, AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.............

That's what I think when I see all those wires all over the place.......

You're a better man than me Drew.

When are you getting that Barney mural on the jamb side of the hood btw?

That's what I thought once I got to untangling the wires and looking at all of the light connectors and underhood wires.....WTF? And now some of my labels have come off, but I was able to figure out which ones were which and relabeled them. No Barney mural. I'll poke holes in your beer for suggesting such a thing, @Davedacarpainter !

• Haha
Wiring goes beyond me....I have a problem with current path. I cannot make sense where the current is supposed to start, then how it flows from there. My biggest issue was the fuse box...(made no sense to me, it's a freakin mazing that the car even runs)

I would say it's not that complicated, but I'll wait til I actually get this done and running. One thing I failed to note which made this easier was getting some uninsulated butt crimps. I crimp the hell out of them and there's a tiny hole in the center where the crimp is punched to make a stop for each wire. I think hit the metal crimp up with my iron and feed solder into that hole and on each end where the bare wires meet the crimp. Hopeful that this will provide a trouble free connection.

Last edited:
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. Genesis 1:3.

So today I made my headlight harnesses that tie into my relays for my headlights. I bought these LED headlights last year and they have a driving light in them. I can't see calling these Halo's because they are a bar across the middle. I think I am going to only use the ones on the high beams as driving lights. I also didn't wire the low beams to switch to high. I would have to do more and have another relay or two and I really don't want any more relays. And these things are light fog light bright on high beam anyway. Time will tell if I have to tint them if they are WAAAAY too bright.

But I digress. So I have the factory wire for the low beam and high beams each triggering a relay in the fuse center. Those in turn then power the headlights. The driving lights will go to a key'd ignition source. I tested my lights. At first when I turned them on, other than the drl, nothing happened. WTF???
And I was thinking, well :poo:, not even the parking lights are coming on. Then I remembered there are NO LIGHTS installed in the car!!! No parking lights, no fog lights, no turn signals, no taillights!.

The headlights both use 3 prong plugs. I had bought a new set of all 4, but the high beams are 2 prong. I said screw it and used the new ones for low beams and reused the original ones for high beams...they were still in good shape. If I don't like these LED lights, then I will have to redo this harness anyway with the correct halogen plug for high beams and tie the low beam-high beam element to the high beams like factory. I think I will like the LED's. Not like I'll be driving it a ton anyway.

IMG_20180916_160523.jpg
IMG_20180916_160905.jpg
IMG_20180916_160925.jpg
IMG_20180916_172113.jpg
IMG_20180916_172117.jpg
Oh yeah, I need to put the relays in. Try again. Ok, now I can hear the relays clicky clicky but no lighty lighty. Oh yeah, the B+ to the relays needs a fuse.. Fuse in, LIGHTS ON!

Then all that was left to do was cut the temp ground wires loose and loom the thing up. I'm pretty happy. I also got power to the factory lead to the rear defrost which looks like it catches a few other things too.

Next major items are run a new dedicated power wire for the fuel pump and power up the relay that powers my digital gauges. Then decide if I want to make it run as is or change out to the Holley HP ECU and make that run. Oh yeah, I need to wire up the MSD box also.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
So......what you’re saying is you got your lights working?

Seriously though Drew, nice work. I’m looking forward to the day that I worry about that stuff.

Wait... Are those LED lights?

If so, I don't think you're going to be pleased with how effective they are when you need them. They don't cast as far a halogen lighting but appear 'amazingly bright' to on-coming traffic at a relatively short distance. In fog well... Just park the car till it's over. :(

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

If so, I don't think you're going to be pleased with how effective they are when you need them. They don't cast as far a halogen lighting but appear 'amazingly bright' to on-coming traffic at a relatively short distance. In fog well... Just park the car till it's over. :(
He says that in like the first sentence, speed reader. He even capitalized "LED".

I don't think people should be allowed to comment if they don't at least take the whole minute it takes to read an update.:nono:

• Haha

Why yes, they are LED lights. But I see @CarMichael Angelo already confirmed. I have halogen fog lights, so aint skeert.

I drove a friends truck with LED head lights, don't like em, I also don't like driving at a vehicle with LED head lights, blindingly bright. Thats me though.

I may swap out the low beams for regular halogens, but the thing hasn't moved in 3 years and before that had 3200 miles in the previous 5 years.

BUT, I hope and pray they at least the high beams are blinding. It seems to be more prevailing around here at least that people drive with their brights on and don't give a :poo: if you flash yours at them. If these are blinding, I will drive a lot more at night, because, I hate douche bags that drive with their high beams on and especially douches in a truck with a 8 inch lift kit that hasn't ever been in the yard, let alone off road, that have a big ass LED bar on the roof and one or 2 in the grill and look like a freight train coming down the road.

Why yes, they are LED lights. But I see @CarMichael Angelo already confirmed. I have halogen fog lights, so aint skeert.

I may swap out the low beams for regular halogens, but the thing hasn't moved in 3 years and before that had 3200 miles in the previous 5 years.

BUT, I hope and pray they at least the high beams are blinding. It seems to be more prevailing around here at least that people drive with their brights on and don't give a :poo: if you flash yours at them. If these are blinding, I will drive a lot more at night, because, I hate douche bags that drive with their high beams on and especially douches in a truck with a 8 inch lift kit that hasn't ever been in the yard, let alone off road, that have a big ass LED bar on the roof and one or 2 in the grill and look like a freight train coming down the road.
Man, I'm with ya on the douche bag thing, we seem to have our fair share of jacked up asphalt queens around here too.

I drive past 2 private high schools and 1 public every day that it seems like the thing rich people are competing with is how much money can they spend on a truck for junior. Some of them are brand new F150, Silverado, or Ram with 6 inch lifts and a $6000 set of wheels and tires. Then for 'offroading' they drive into the field next to the corner gas station and do doughnuts or just get freaking stuck in what essentially is a 2 acre yard. Last year 2 were flying down the street racing at about 65mph, in jacked up trucks no less, weaving in and out of traffic and one loses control, flips and lands right on top of a car carrying an elderly couple, crushing and killing them.

The douche ass parents and their lawyer said the elderly couple lost control and swerved into the kids truck causing the wreck. Luckily there were about 10 witnesses and some surveillance video that told the truth.

I was no angel as a teen. There was some mailbox baseball, but mostly we went out in the middle of no where and did our stupid stuff. We found an incomplete subdivision that had a gravel road that ran around it. Must have been at least 3/4 if not 1 1/2 miles. We would time trial that thing. That was a blast.

Of course, at the time our cars were my 80 Chevette...98HP I think, an 84 Toyota truck, a 84 Civic and a 78 Civic. So I think all together the combined HP was less than a new Mustang GT!

• Agree