Progress Thread Fixing Up A '93 Gt - Project Done

• Sponsors (?)

Those aren't stock headers. Shorties of some sort. Solid flange so that is a plus. I would say BBk, but that would be stamped on one of the primaries.

I haven't seen any markings, but I'll pay attention and see if I see anything on them. I also have a CAI that looks like a BBK, but has absolutely no markings on it.

Just got back from the test drive. Things seem good for now. I certainly don't trust this car to take me very far.

First thing I did was finish the stage 8 bolt install. I did the other side. The headers didn't cooperate there. There were 3 bolts that wouldn't come out with the headers in place, they got stuck on the pipes. I didn't really want to pull the headers off so I could get the bolts out so they stay stock bolts for now. Fortunately, the two end bolts worked and some of the middle ones. With the nice thick flange on these headers, one or two bolts coming loose shouldn't be a big deal. I've put the rest in the bin for installation someday.

IMG_20161021_181921571_zpsocyhvxh2.jpg

Next up, the McCully racing TFI relocation/cooling setup.

Here's the new distributor with the new wiring installed.

IMG_20161021_203823160_zpsqv73qewn.jpg

And here's the TFI module location. I was fortunate the stock wiring just makes it to this location. If it didn't, I might not have installed it. I really didn't like any of the other locations where the reach would've been shorter.

IMG_20161021_203833766_zpssp6ynhed.jpg

I have to admit, I'm not 100% sold on the wiring that comes with the kit. It doesn't fit great, either in the distributor or on the TFI module itself. But, I don't think it's going to come off. I need to figure out something on the distributor to keep dirt out of the connections as they are basically just open. A final pic for good measure. Timing set and test driven. Back running again. Hopefully for longer than last time.

IMG_20161021_203853371_zpsryznjiqr.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Take the zip tie off your plug wires, get some wire separators and space them out. Keep coil wire away from spark plug wires as best you can.

Wires zip tied together cause the Corona effect and can lead to failure/strange ignition issues. Also keep them away from all other sensor wires including the tfi/distributor wiring, it can cause voltage bleed to these wires affecting signals. In a recent data log I relized some of my drive ability issues were being caused by this. Everytime the #4 cylinder would fire it caused a tps voltage spike.

Reactions: 1 users
It became clear that this project wasn't getting to the point it needed to before my son goes off to college. I can't see that changing with my work and family schedule, so I sold the car. I'm pretty bummed about it, but hopefully I can do a fox in a few years when life settles down a bit.

I got myself a consolation prize, so I'll still be around.
43405526787.443427770.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421_zpspbrd5awu.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I like this move. SOmetimes you just want to drive, rather than look at something sit in the garage.

I on the other hand hate driving my car. I like looking at it instead.

:scratch: I don't think you followed the instructions. :O_o:

Real men don't read instructions. I took the easiest, quickest and most expensive route to 400 HP. Done! :cool:

I like this move. SOmetimes you just want to drive, rather than look at something sit in the garage.

I on the other hand hate driving my car. I like looking at it instead.

Maybe one of each would be ideal:shrug:

I'm actually looking for a 96-98 cobra convertible as a cruiser. These cars were new when I was in HS and I've always wanted one.

I'd get a new 5.0 but currently have two kids in day care. Ouch.

From what I can tell you are also spending as much as I was on parts every month too:eek:. I wanted the calipers on my Fox to say Corvette on them too!:bang:

Consolation prize, my new calipers say Brembo.

Last edited:
Assuming everything works out with financing and the other guy paying off his loan etc., the new 2014 GT is kind of neat. It's a base GT, but the guy did a lot of stuff to make it an autox/track car. But, once he got it together, he found a deal on a Boss 302. So he swapped all the expensive stuff he had bought onto the Boss and put the guts of the Boss onto the white GT. It has Boss 302 springs/shocks/sway bars/exhaust/wheels/brakes/rear axle with Torsen/control arms/radiator/oil cooler, and the track key. It should be a good starting point for me to go have some fun with.

Assuming everything works out with financing and the other guy paying off his loan etc., the new 2014 GT is kind of neat. It's a base GT, but the guy did a lot of stuff to make it an autox/track car. But, once he got it together, he found a deal on a Boss 302. So he swapped all the expensive stuff he had bought onto the Boss and put the guts of the Boss onto the white GT. It has Boss 302 springs/shocks/sway bars/exhaust/wheels/brakes/rear axle with Torsen/control arms/radiator/oil cooler, and the track key. It should be a good starting point for me to go have some fun with.

Does look like a fun ride. The 1st gen 5.0's have dropped to the point where I really should consider one. Almost cheaper to buy an 11-12 GT than to 5.0 swap a Fox these days.

Enjoy the ride. Looks fun

Yeah, I started off looking at '08-'10 cars figuring I couldn't afford a 5.0 ... then realized the 5.0s were in range ... then overspent on a '14.