Hey whats up! More 2.3 power needed

It's more about the weak distributor gear than anything else. This is specific to 2.3 turbo motors. Lots of stories on TF about sheared off teeth on the dizzy gear, of course most of these guys race their cars. I went with the M86E when I built mine and I beat on it, for sure. Haven't had a problem in 6K miles. I just tend to err on the side of caution. I would suggest to Piranahbite, call Chip @ BigR and ask his opinion.

• Sponsors (?)

Welp i got the head back finally... the original head was cracked beyond repair so they said "Your head was junk so we have found another one so its starting process all over again" and i end up with a heart chamber head.. this is un-acceptable no? Smaller combustion chamber means more compression wich isent good for turbo applications

Bummer....it looked pretty bad in the pics. How about calling Bo and see what he can do. He can probably open up the chamber on the new head to get you the proper shape and cc's plus he is the 2.3 head expert so he can offer up advice to get the most out of your head. Much along the lines of Chip and Shannon, Bo is a good guy and super knowledgeable. His shop used to be out of Fremont but he may have moved to Reno now.

Yep, hes my plan B if these people drop the ball on me, thing is, im in this $700 already, and im not sure what im going to walk away with. when it comes to these people... there verry... disorganised. I might walk away with my $700 and my original craked head, or i might end up stuck with this n/a head S.O.L. and go to Bo. Either way i need to get a new head so i can wrap up this portion of the project and move on to assembeling

Also, people iv talked to are causing me to have doubts on fixing cracked cyllinder heads, Makes sense but i dont know weather to ignore it or take a new path and try to find the rare "uncracked turbo head" in wich case might aswell go to Bo, because hes the only person who has uncracked heads thst iv spoken with.

Last edited:
guys, its gotten worse, the people who ae rebuilding my head have decided to go non contact. I called them last week for a progress update, and from what I was told, they will not tell me anything until they think they are done. its been three weeks since I have been given the wrong head and I'm losing hope, I called Boport, they unfortunately do not have a head that is in my price range. as for the cylinder head company I'm dealing with, my parents have both recommended I dispute the charge for the cylinder head since they have jerked me around so much and have elected to go non contact with me. I'm wondering if any of you guys have a second opinion on what i should do regarding my situation with this company and with finding a new turbo head. thanks!

All I can think of is to have Bo open up the combustion chambers. More chamber volume = lower compression ratio. Or you could try to do it yourself but, be careful. It's easy to go through. I know.......I've done it! Ruined a perfectly good head! Bo's prices for chamber work seem reasonable. As I mentioned before, 2.3T heads are few and far between. Others have run modified N/A heads on turbo motors with success. It's not optimal but the motor should run fairly strong. Also, IIRC, American Cylinder Head is in the area of Golden Gate Fields. American Canyon ain't that far away. I'd run down there, make an appearance and demand some answers!

Well, theres a 88 tc in fairfeild, ill check that out this weekend see if i can pull some parts, ecu, vam connector ect. Not sure when ill be able to go out to Windsor since its a bit of a hike.
Tomarrow im going to call up American cyllinder head, either get my answers or im disputing the charge. driving out theres not an option because Its costing me $40 every time i drive out there.

Ill definitely email bo about re-chanbering my head since i forgot to ask when i called him yesterday.

also not in dire need of a t3 because im gonna do a "fully built" turbo set up gnari high flow exhaust manifold, stage 1 t3 from big r and also there ranger X cam.

Also what is IIRC?

If you buy it from the wrecking yard and it is no good, you can get your money back or another head?
The main junkyard I buy from offers that
Engine cores however for 300 bucks they do not warranty, and if you were to pull the head yourself it may be no warranty
The penguin types send you the part and you pick it up at the junkyard with a 15 day warranty in most cases

If you buy it from the wrecking yard and it is no good, you can get your money back or another head?
The main junkyard I buy from offers that
Engine cores however for 300 bucks they do not warranty, and if you were to pull the head yourself it may be no warranty
The penguin types send you the part and you pick it up at the junkyard with a 15 day warranty in most cases
the 2 junk yards iv been too sofar have been iffy about returns / warranty's some of them give me store credit only or they give cash back. im not 100% sure

Also! I left American cylinder head a very "stern" voicemail to say the least and they finally coughed up and said they couldn't find me a 2.3 head. they did offer to re-chamber my head (free of charge) I'm probably going to take it down to them since they seem to want to make this right. anyone have information on the CC's of the D port head? these guys might need it

This guy opened up and polished his chambers on a N/A head and put it on his 2.3T motor. He said he opened it up to 67cc's and that gave him a 7.6 compression ratio.

PortedHead.jpg