Let's play "name that engine!"

Skidzz

Tinkerbell
Apr 11, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
A friend of mine just bought a very modded out 99 v6 and I'm trying to find some things out for him. Anyway, the car is pretty sweet. Full saleen body kit and spoiler, 18' saleen rims, really clean. I didn't think to take pics of the car itself, but I took pics of the engine to see if you guys could tell what it is. It looks to me like an old 302.

As for mods, I could see... msd ignition, bbk LT's, full exhaust, and it USED to have NAWZ. Anyone know the engine.

Oh yea, and next Thursday I'm planning on racing him down at the 1/8 mile. If I can get my hands on a digital cam, I'll tape it.

• Sponsors (?)

the only differances in the 302 and the 351W is the deck height i believe......it has been a while since i messed with non mod motors now. i still have about 5 complete 302's in my barn though! maybe one day i'll throw one in my ranger.

Looks like a 302 to me :shrug: . My dad was wanting to do that to his V6 stang....but I wonder if it had cats, if they would pass it for inspection?

^ yep the 351 was a taller deck...pretty much the same other than that. Intakes arent swappable....but heads are.

hotmustang331 said:
Looks like a 302 to me :shrug: . My dad was wanting to do that to his V6 stang....but I wonder if it had cats, if they would pass it for inspection?

^ yep the 351 was a taller deck...pretty much the same other than that. Intakes arent swappable....but heads are.
No, no cats. This thing definitely won't pass inspection, but here in WV you just have to know someone who will bend the rules for you a little. If it were a 351, would it fit under the stock v6 hood? I ask because it still has the stock hood. I'm pretty sure this car has a 302.

It looks like it used to be a 351, but then bored .125" over and then stroked, which eventually turned it into a 438.. and looks like it has 15:1 compression

Actually I have no clue, but it is pretty interesting!.. Get pics of the motor with the rest of the car in the pic as well :nice: