Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

4th tire is mounted. Will put it on the car tonight.

Really I just need to put the diff fluid in and this project is done. However i can't find a damn pump. Been stopping at every local auto parts store and those pumps that fit the quart bottles seem to all be sold out.

For the future:

I have a 12v off-the-shelf fuel pump with fuel line slip-on fittings on each side. It pumps gas, diesel, oil, and probably even thick gear oil (which you would want anyway). Some wire and battery clips... Viola!

I think I have maybe 10 to 12 feet of wire on mine. I was using it to pump fuel and oil out of boat tanks and engines. A shutoff valve at the exhaust end is a good idea. So are hose clamps on the pressure side in that situation. :O_o:

On an aside... my driver's side front caliper is definitely dragging now. I'll have to check this out shortly. I still need to swap the hydroboost line to the one with less fittings, but I may need to pull that caliper off and pull the pistons out and see what's going on. If one piston is stuck, that would definitely increase pedal effort which is what I feel.

Will need to wait. Leaving for vacation tomorrow.

Also, I have to say after a week or so of driving the SN95 i can offer some interesting feedback between it and my modified Fox. I've often wondered if the mods i was performing to the fox truely made it a better car, and I can say now that YES, it does make it perform much better.

Where do I start?
Steering more on point. No vagueness
Ford Racing King Cobra clutch is much lighter than the OE Sn clutch. Shorter pedal throw and catches mid range
Suspension: Not even a comparison. SN rides nice but Fox will drive circles around it
Power: Same. Sn is quick. Fox scares me when i hit the go pedal
Seating: Recaros vs stock SN seats. One seat holds you low to the floor and the other is a vague marshmallow of a seat
Shifter: MGW vs stocker. MGW feels digital. You click in and out of gear. Sn stocker is another form of a wet mashmallow
Brakes: Not a far compariosn really. The SN brakes need addressing. Even with the sticking caliper it doesn't take much leg effort to stop the fox

Of course not all is bad with the SN

Pros
Interior rattles. very few, even with a convertible. It's amazing how much tighter Ford made the SN cars. Big bumbs get some rattles, but for regular crusing it's surprisingly tight.
OE stereo. Mach 460 vs 93 premium sound. Basically a single amp in the '93 setup vs 3 amps with the 460. It's still an OE stereo, but it has some decent power
Convertible top. Yeah this isn't for everyone but I'm finding myself liking it a lot. If i ever bought myself a '15+ Mustang, i think it would need to be a convertible now.

I think i have a much better appreciation for my Fox and the amount of hard work (and money) it took to get it where it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Lugs torqued. Took it around the block.

Clutch grab point is totally differnent. Stalled the fox about a dozen times just moving it around. The fox clutch grabs right off the floor and is light. SN95 clutch grabs at the top.

Need to adjust the ride height. Want to lift it up a tad in the front, and lower the rear down a hair.

Edit: lowered the rear down, but no updated pic

IMG_4458.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Hell Yeah!
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users
After a week of rain, I noticed I have a water leak on the pass side front of the ‘00. Pulled it apart to dry and opened the rubber grommet on the floor.

IMG_4477.jpeg

Can’t seem to see where it’s coming from. The seals on the windshield and window seem dry. My fear is it’s coming from the windshield. Will need to grab a garden hose and test

But not today. I’m here for a few days

IMG_4480.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
After a week of rain, I noticed I have a water leak on the pass side front of the ‘00. Pulled it apart to dry and opened the rubber grommet on the floor.

IMG_4477.jpeg

Can’t seem to see where it’s coming from. The seals on the windshield and window seem dry. My fear is it’s coming from the windshield. Will need to grab a garden hose and test

But not today. I’m here for a few days

IMG_4480.jpeg
Enjoy the vacation! Well deserved!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh... and door drains! Don't SNs have holes on the bottom? I don't remember what does/doesn't. :nonono:

Actually in doing my research, it seems the lower drains clogging is a problem, especially at the rear quarter window. The water from the top drains down into a well that drops to the ground. If they clog up, it flows into the interior floor area. Based on what I’m seeing, I think this is the case.

So when I return I’ll need to clear those drains and make sure they are all clean. Given the amount of leaves and crud I cleaned out of the top area in the rear, would not be surprised if they were all clogged up. We had some torrential rains last week

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing between my modified fox and my Steeda Q400 SN95. It's supercharged but the pull is nowhere in comparison to the turbo fox. It did win top 50 in a 200 car show over the past weekend. My fox actually drives, handles, and brakes better. They are definitely different cars. The suspension and brakes on my SN95 are upgraded but it still doesn't handle or brake as well as the IRS and cobra brakes set up the way I did them.

Also why I think there will be more to the SN95 story as time goes on. :)

Just waiting for him to get laser-focused on mod possibilities. :D

Possible.

I’m giddy with the SN95. This was the car I had during my younger years and it’s like a trip down memory lane driving one again. I never got to experience that with the Fox because I’ve always had a fox. But I sold my 2003 GT fourteen years ago….so this has been fun.

Yeah, but I don’t want to spend the coin on doing the same stuff. Really gonna limit myself. I just want it to be a cool clean driver.

Already got one money pit. Eyeing that new MS3 plug and play unit for it this winter.

Reactions: 1 users
I used those for the first time last year on my Wife's F150. I like them way better than the plastic jugs. Way faster to get the fluid in the diff.
Thats good to know... No experience with them " yet " .....The pump that screws in the top of the bottle ( what 5L5 was looking for) has worked well for me.. MUCH better than the little spout with NO room to tilt the bottle.... LOL.. the good ole days......

....i can't find a damn pump. Been stopping at every local auto parts store and those pumps that fit the quart bottles seem to all be sold out.

I know your already past this but for next time.... any marine store will have these on the shelf. They're sold for filling the lower units on out boards... West Marine in Woburn or Danvers, or there's a little mom & pop in Wakefield (there used to be a place in Everett but I don't know if it's still there)

Also a hose shoved down through the cap and a blow gun ( go slow!) Work very well to empty the quart in seconds

Just shove a clear hose on the bottle cap and squeeze the bottle.
I have hung the bottle upside down with as big a clear hose I can, slice open the bottle at the bottom and let it flow

I like to drain as much out of the container as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.