Build Thread Mustang5L5's Build Thread -

Status
Not open for further replies.
What’s a Mustang?

IMG_4558.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

You make me miss having a boat... I miss my last boat all the time, but it was time for it to go.. Floating around on a lake all day without a care in the world... Best days ever....
DSCF0225.JPG
DSCF1144.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0225.JPG
    DSCF0225.JPG
    580.4 KB · Views: 29
What did you clean the top with??

MOLD ARMOR Mold and Mildew Killer + Quick Stain Remover, 32 oz., Trigger Spray Bottle, Eliminates 99.9% of Household Bacteria and Viruses, Ideal Bathroom Mold and Mildew Remover https://a.co/d/e078tan

Did ruin a shirt with it when I sprayed myself. There is bleach in it, so gotta be careful. Spray, scrub, rinse with tons of water when done.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Barbasol shaving cream works great to clean vinyl tops and interior stuff. An old guy taught me that trick and I've used it faithfully for the last 20 years. Works better than anything else I've used and won't ruin clothes. Smells good too. The cheap original Ambersol in the metal spray can. It's cheap at dollar stores and wally mart.

Edited: don't put ambersol on your vinyl....thats for hurt teeth. Lmao.

20230901_063445.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Stuffing this here because not a whole lot of traffic in the 4.6L forum.

Reached out to MM for some suspension advice for the convertible. I like how it rides, but it's soft like a marshmallow and as high as a truck. I asked them for a daily driver sort of suspension recommendation.

They recommended the Bilstien HD's (which i have on the fox and love) and a set of H&R race springs and the appropriate C/C plates.

Put the H&R race springs on my 83 vert.. The sport springs were NOT recommended on convertibles by MM... I " think" its a weight issue...
Not on the road yet so I cannot comment on ride quality....
I have pushed on each corner when its been on the ground, and all of the corners seem to be pretty stiff...
DSCF1175.JPG

Hopefully the additional weight of a vert will soften the ride with the Race series. I had the Super Sports on my Coupe years ago and the ride was really good and still stiff enough for the twisties. Won’t be as good as coil overs but for a DD it was perfect.

I may still try my Bullitt springs. The spring rates are slightly softer than the race springs. With the bilstiens I think that may provide a decent ride.

To level it out, I may trim 1/8 coil off the front. They are linear rate springs. Stock GT is 450 in-lbs and the bullitt is 600. I think the race are 750-850.

I had H&R springs with MM camber plates and fox length tokico blues on my 96 GT. I think it rode well and handled great but it was a tad on the low side as the driveshaft would rub from time to time. Stance was perfect IMO. The D/S would rub when the car squatted during hard acceleration. We only drove it for ~1500 miles with the new suspension before some idiot totaled it out for us. Wife drove it way more than I did. I never did solve the D/S issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5779.jpeg
    IMG_5779.jpeg
    706.3 KB · Views: 39
The D/S would rub when the car squatted during hard acceleration. I never did solve the D/S issue.
I can't say for fox bodies, but I do know most cars rear ends do NOT sit perfectly in the middle of every car... I had to get an
DSCF0158.JPG
1/8" spacer for one side of my Dodge as it rubbed on the inner wheel well after I " squeeeeeezd" some 8" custom ordered BS wheels on the small rear wheel wells...

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what i'm looking to avoid mostly. The minute the car starts banging over bumps, i'll lose my love for it. The fox can be the go-kart (and there is a list of roads i avoid driving down, which is easy to do when it's a fun car) , but I want the vert to be a somewhat comfortable cruiser that i drive anywhere since it has been a daily driver for me the past few weeks.

Since the bullitt springs are OE, it might be a good compromise as the ride height will still be factory OE given that it's an OE spring.

But this AM i took a curve in the vert and it felt like I was going to tip over. The mushy 23 year old suspension needs to go. I just don't want to turn the car into a lowered rattlebox. Right now it's pretty tight and takes minor bumps well. The wife might actually get in this one.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.