New and looking for help on my 1994 v8 swap

• Sponsors (?)

Well looks like I am back today. I have a question about the difference between alternators for the v6 and v8 I thought they were the same 12v 130 amp. But looking at the back of the v8 on it has a 10 when the v6 has an 12. The v6 one looks like it has been more recently rebuilt as the brushes are much longer than the v8. When I put both of them on the car the 8v one charges better that the v6 that I don’t even think it did anything really. I want to use one of the alternators for a school project electric motor conversion but want to know what one is better to use. Should I take the brushes from the rebuilt one and put it on the v8 10volt one?

Attachments

• D6DA1066-235B-414C-A878-8BD36EB35F3A.jpeg
    D6DA1066-235B-414C-A878-8BD36EB35F3A.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 44
  • D0864052-679D-4ECA-9A7A-82A3607D5DE8.jpeg
    D0864052-679D-4ECA-9A7A-82A3607D5DE8.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 43
Well looks like I am back today. I have a question about the difference between alternators for the v6 and v8 I thought they were the same 12v 130 amp. But looking at the back of the v8 on it has a 10 when the v6 has an 12. The v6 one looks like it has been more recently rebuilt as the brushes are much longer than the v8. When I put both of them on the car the 8v one charges better that the v6 that I don’t even think it did anything really. I want to use one of the alternators for a school project electric motor conversion but want to know what one is better to use. Should I take the brushes from the rebuilt one and put it on the v8 10volt one?
V6 and V8 use the same alternator.

Huh wonder why the other one has a 10 and not a 12 on the back of the shell. Should I just swap the brushes over to the older one? Aren’t they the only wear item in the alternator? Just wondering why the more worn v8 one works better than the newer rebuilt v6 one.

Huh wonder why the other one has a 10 and not a 12 on the back of the shell. Should I just swap the brushes over to the older one? Aren’t they the only wear item in the alternator? Just wondering why the more worn v8 one works better than the newer rebuilt v6 one.
Since it was rebuilt who knows. I’m still running the v6 one on mine. Check pulley size, I got one that hand an under drive pulley on it, replaced with a factory one and all was back to normal.

If you want to swap parts around that’s up to you.

Ok well knowing that they are the same is good. I will tear into them both tomorrow and see what one I want to use as the motor. Like you said I could alway Frankenstein one together that works. Thanks.

To LS swap a V6 Mustang, there is an entire internet of information, to 302 swap a V6 Mustang, it's basically just sorscode.com. Yes, he did the swap himself, and documented it like a good Samaritan.

Kurt
Any info on whether a 95 mustang v6 automatic transmission will easily fit a 94 gt 5.0? Are they the same? Thx for any info and direction here.

you don't see the link under his username?
Ok, got it.
The 94-95 5.0L Bellhosing is unique, so you will need one. You can reuse the T5 if 5spd. If AOD-E you can just reuse the auto from the v6.

Are the 3.8 v6 and 5.0 v8 the exact same transmission, sounds like an exact fit on my 94 5.0, but are they weaker trannys, as someone commented.
Have a chance at a tranny from both a v6 and v8, but they want 3x the $ for the v8...
I'd take the chance if they are the same. Don't want to overwhelm the v6 tranny with the 5.0 v8.
Not to mention some autos in 5.0 v8s get trashed by the extra hp..

Ok, got it.
The 94-95 5.0L Bellhosing is unique, so you will need one. You can reuse the T5 if 5spd. If AOD-E you can just reuse the auto from the v6.

Are the 3.8 v6 and 5.0 v8 the exact same transmission, sounds like an exact fit on my 94 5.0, but are they weaker trannys, as someone commented.
Have a chance at a tranny from both a v6 and v8, but they want 3x the $ for the v8...
I'd take the chance if they are the same. Don't want to overwhelm the v6 tranny with the 5.0 v8.
Not to mention some autos in 5.0 v8s get trashed by the extra hp..
The T5 is slightly different between the v6 and v8 gear ratio wise.

The AODE are the same between the two.

The shorter brushes just have more miles on them and are worn down more