OMG this guy at work scared me!! New ricer verbage?

Swede958

Founding Member
Dec 17, 2001
Austin, TX
Ok, tonight was just me and another manager (got promoted last week) working and it was a little slow when this guy comes in. Now, he looks just like a normal guy and starts walking around, picks up some bulbs, and comes up tot he front. He asks me what kind of synthetic oil I would recommend because he'd like to switch, I say "Mobil 1"...
Ricerboy: "Really, do y'all have any here?"
Me: "Sure, c'mon back I'll show you"
~Proceed to oil rack~
Ricerboy: "What does SAE mean on this oil"
~POints to 30w oil, I then explain the differences between regular weight and blended weight oils~
Ricerboy: "Ok, so Mobil 1 is better though right? Is it better for my engine, cause I race my car alot"
Me: "Yes sir, synthetic is a better oil for your car, normally it'll run smoother, have better starts and less friction during start ups, and you might see a small bump in HP and MPG"
Ricerboy: "Really? Well what kind of filter should I use, cause right now Iv'e been using this ~Indicates Penzoil 10w-30 :notnice: ~ and the Fram filters... you know, the ones with the grip?"
Me: "No no, if you drive your car hard, you'd want to step up too... well, what kind of car do you drive?"
Ricerboy: "A '94 Honda Civic!!!" :rlaugh: :rlaugh:
Me: ~stifles laugh very well~ Ok, well, I'd at least go with the Bosch filter, if not preferably the Mobil 1.
Ricerboy: "Ok, I'll have to pick that up later... hey, let me ask you a question"
Me: "Shoot"
Ricerboy: "Ok, I have a ratchet shifter in my car... well, I 'tweaked' the shifter, it's an automatic, so that now it is a ratchet shifter. Well, now when i keep it in gear and rev it up high, the REV-OMETER(!?!?!?!?- Me) seems to be bouncing around? ANy idea why this is happening?
Me: ~After recovering from the split second 'confused-dog-tilted-head-look'~ "I dunno man, sounds like a rev limiter to me. Like it just won't let you rev past/too a certain RPM for too long."
Ricerboy: "Ah, makes sense, how do I fix it" ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I really, really wish Autozone didn't sell as much ricer stuff as it does... I had a 16 yearold kid come in a couple days ago asking if we had a layaway plan for the mongo-bling-bling ricer muffler we sell!!! :notnice:
You might be a ricer if... Your friends routinely ask you "Yo man, wen youze gonna getz da green fo dem 2 uddah rims and dat phat muffla yo gotz on lay-way?"

Ranting Complete.... Please resume your normal Stangnet surfing :D
The Swede

• Sponsors (?)

It just keeps going around and around..... my Dad was thinking the same thing when I told him we needed to put 4" lift, 15x10rims and the largest Armstrong Tru-Tracs made on his 9-year-old F100 4x4 :lol:

I thin the main difference is that I knew why the 390 motor, NP435 tranny, and 4.11 limited slips front and rear (all factory) were up to the task. I was also talking about the "69-Corvette-power-steering-box-conversion" to make it possible to PARK the beast in a tight space! Most of your contemporaries really believe that the big rims, 9" tach with shift light, 4' biplane wing and turbo-fart-can will improve their '92 Civic's performance (although you won't "get it" 'til you have some NAAAWWWWZZZZZZ) :nonono: They just don't know, and really don't want to take the time to learn.

Still Dreamin'

Aw, Swede, cut the kid a break... he's just doing the best he can with what he's got. I want y'all to think about something here for a second... Assuming most of us are over 25, there is a darn good chance our parents matured during a time when cars were a cultural icon, whether it was muscle cars, or classic european imports from the late '50s and early '60s, or hot rods from the '40s & '50s. I highly suspect that we inherited a bit of that appreciation.

Now look at the sub 25 year-olds... that would make them born after 1980ish, and if their parents were of average age, that typically means the parents were in their mid 20s or later. This probably means that they actually matured during the '70s and we all know how culture shifted... Add to to that bad performance cars during the '70s, computers and fuel injection started showing up in cars, fuel prices got expensive, etc., and its more likely that majority of these parents weren't into cars, or at least didn't twist a wrench on their own cars. (BTW, these are the same parents that now expect schools and tv to babysit their kids and do all the moral teaching.)

Now their kids are trying to get involved in cars, but the majority just don't have role models... So the kid shows up at Autozone asking questions 'cause he doesn't have a role model to guide him, and you make fun of him??? Damn dude, don't you realize, at that moment, he was looking to you to be his role model... This was the perfect opportunity to foster his knowledge and guide him... not away from his Honda, but to better enable him to distinquish between bling and zoom.

Rev-ometer? Take a sec and explain (not in a condescending tone either) that its called a tachometer. He wants to disable the rev limiter and you scoff??? Isn't that what every guys did first thing they got home from the dealership with their new Boss302s? Sounds like good old fashioned hot rodding to me...

I say give the kid a break, help him out, and plant a seed... you tell him the truth and change his perspective, he tells his friends, they laugh at him, he races them and whoops their asses, they start listening... all because you did a good deed.

You work at autozone what ya expect, I'm surprised your not like them.

All those chain stores have about 90% morons working behind the counter.

"Uhhhh was that ford 302 a v8 or was it the 6 cylinder version"

Yeah I'd like some rear drums for a 68' mustang. "ac or no ac" WTF does it matter.

Fostang said:
You work at autozone what ya expect, I'm surprised your not like them.

All those chain stores have about 90% morons working behind the counter.

"Uhhhh was that ford 302 a v8 or was it the 6 cylinder version"

Yeah I'd like some rear drums for a 68' mustang. "ac or no ac" WTF does it matter.

You have to take into account the fact that Autozone is expecting more of their employees to be like the kids DB described than like the Swede.

I've been down the exact same road with more than half the guys at our two Autozones. Learned to just tell them (when asking for a thermostat or such) that I'm looking for parts for a "91 Chevy pickup, two-wheel drive, extended cab (no it doesn't really matter!) 5-speed and the 265 v6 - just click next to the Z" I emphasized the last because it's the VIN designation for the '91 V6. Then I sometimes have to tell them that their terminal is right, it really is the same part as for the small V-8's :p

Still Dreamin'

Ha, I went into Autozone's local competitor (Advanced) and told the guy behind the counter (I know to look for the guy with the off-colored shirt and grey hair becuase he is the manager) that I was looking for a thermostatic switch in the 180-190 degree range that i can put into my manifold to control an electric water pump. All he could say was what car did it come out of.

I began by saying "My car is a 67 Mustang" and he began entering it into the computer. I said whoa, stop, "this is not a factory part, the engine and manifold are not original and there still are no electric water pumps on factory Fords". He said so how am I supposed to know what to get for you. I said here is a brass fitting that goes into my manifolds water jacket. Can you check the specs of your thermostatic switches and find on in that temperature range that fits it? He just stared at me like I was from Mars.

DB, To tell you the truth, I have met some guys like youd describe, the ones that actually are looking for a role model. And I've helped them out. Hondas, Acuras, cavaliers, whatever I can tell them I do. The reason I'm doggin this guy is the 'total package' I guess. This guy seemed about 28, so I guess he'd still be technically in the generation you speak of (though, I myself am 20 so I'm in it too). This guy comes in, talks about racing his honda (which isn't a bad thing, I've seen actually decent, technically sound Hondas around), uses Penzoil and fram filters, has "tweaked" his transmission to which I can only guess what it's doing to the clutches inside, and then asks about the "revometer". Then when I tell him it's a part on his vehicle doing it's job to prevent him from hurting an engine not designed for what he's doing, he asks me how to 'fix it'. And yes, I did tell him that there may be a good chance that a product is out there to bypass the limiter, I didn't know where to get it, but that it's probably made. So I did mentor him sort of, I told him what kind of oil and filters to use, what the oils numbers meant, and how to fix a problem... but if he has the technical 'expertise' to modify his tranny I at east expect him to know the consequences of that and the basic parts of a car.... i.e a tach.

I know I know everyone dogs people tat work at Autozone, and it's true, there are some bad ones (I've had to train newbs how to do stuff on their computer over the phone). But a lot of them are good, I bet if you walked into my store, you'd probably be happy with the service with all except like 2 people (one's a cashier, the other knows cars, but not how to fix them.... right now he's at 'parts-monkey' phase: "ooh ooh- starter"). The rest of our staff is top notch and really, a lot of us are thinking of quitting and starting a shop down here to compete with the few repair shops and nonexistant hot rodding shops.

Here's something most people don't think about, everyone complains about our help, but what about our customers? They will get mad at us when we ask them a question pertaining to their part and they will say "I don't know". This is their vehicle, they drive it daily, but they don't know about it and expect us to or they get mad.... it goes both ways.

Anyways, I'm getting on soap box, and I have to stay on my 1 soap box a week diet.
Edbert: I work at the one down on Manchaca near Slaughter. If your in the area stop by, look for the blue '70 fastback parked near the driveway inlet.

Oh yeah, this is about the normal conversation every 30th customer or so
Us: How ya doin, what can i do for ya
Them: I need some brakes and rotors
Us: Ok, year make and model (Me- What flavor? :p)
Them: Uhhh, that ~insert color~ one out there...
:D :D

For just about every story out there someone has about a bad Autozone experience, I guarantee that an Autozoner has an equal amount about customers.... It's a vicious cycle :rlaugh: Who wants stories?? Maybe I could have a weekly column? :p

THe Swede

Yeah GP, does this mean I can call him with my fabricating needs? Do ya think? Maybe I can get my car 'monster-ized' with all the freebies.... TCp pwr rack, 331 stroker and Kenne Bell, currie 9"... hmm. Ah crap, wait, it all has to come from Jegs dammit!! :D :D :D

The Swede

if you're stuck with Jegs, they have the infamous 460 & 514.....:D

Honestly, I tried that whole "Autozone" bit, but I just don't know the guys well enough and have not had the best of experience with them. I know about 5 guys between the two NAPA's in town that I'll deal with. Other than that, I don't get parts. I had to fabricate a female end for my 73's Voltage Regulator out of little clips. Basically, It's NAPA or nothing for me.

Quite a few of the Ricers I've met are actually semi-serious racers. 'course most of them are in AUTO classes with me.

~meow