Fuel Running Rich, White smoke

Tas_Jak

Jun 1, 2024
Virginia
Hey guys, first time poster here so feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong with my post,

But, anyway I bought my first fuel-injected fox a little bit ago and have been trying to get it to run, got it started, and now seems to be running very rich, has lots of aftermarket goodies as was previously a drag car so probably going to be a pain to diagnose. After starting it, white smoke out of the exhaust, smells of fuel, not coolant. Also after a quick tap of the throttle drops below where it idles and then revs back up. Attached videos of the smoke and rpm gauge. Ran KOER codes and got a bank lean code, so thinking either one of the O2 sensors isn't working? Lmk what yall think, trying to get onto summit point this summer. Thanks.

View: https://youtu.be/OLW7gsSRldk - Smoke out the exhaust

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/IYyQzKrhXdE - rpm gauge

• Sponsors (?)

You said it was a drag car?? The cam in it could have alot of overlap allowing unburnt fuel to pass at low RPM....
usually white smoke is water, blues is oil, and black is fuel...

You said it was a drag car?? The cam in it could have alot of overlap allowing unburnt fuel to pass at low RPM....
usually white smoke is water, blues is oil, and black is fuel...
Theres more smoke that comes out at higher rpm. Low rpm its barely noticeable, but when you get higher it smokes the whole street out.

What is a JPC upper intake?
I've been doing this a long time and i don't think i've ever heard of that intake.

With the correct meter and injectors for these cars they will run right most of the time (assuming no vac leaks or coolant and oil going missing)
What color are the injectors and what is the calibration on the meter?
Always the chance someone removed a supercharger and left oversized injectors on the car.

Plugs are wet and covered in soot, which confirms it’s running rich at least.
What is a JPC upper intake?
I've been doing this a long time and i don't think i've ever heard of that intake.

With the correct meter and injectors for these cars they will run right most of the time (assuming no vac leaks or coolant and oil going missing)
What color are the injectors and what is the calibration on the meter?
Always the chance someone removed a supercharger and left oversized injectors on the car.
The injectors are just the bosh 19 lb injectors, checked the part number online and bought the correct meter to go with it.
The JPC intake is a custom one that was hand welded by that company, don’t know a whole lot about it other than it’s a speed parts company.

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpeg
    IMG_5678.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 26
Ok... Do you happen to know if a high volume oil pump is installed?

Also.... Pull the PCV valve and grommet. Shake the valve and see if it still clicks.

Under the grommet, there should be a screen. Pull that too. You should be able to see daylight through it when you hold it up to the sun.

Once the screen is out.... Hold your tongue [just] right and get your peepers down that PCV hole and see if there's a shield still down there or if you can see all way down to cast aluminum.

PCV system has also been gone, you think there’s too much crankcase pressure and it’s going through the valves and into the intake?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 18
Ok... Do you happen to know if a high volume oil pump is installed?

Also.... Pull the PCV valve and grommet. Shake the valve and see if it still clicks.

Under the grommet, there should be a screen. Pull that too. You should be able to see daylight through it when you hold it up to the sun.

Once the screen is out.... Hold your tongue [just] right and get your peepers down that PCV hole and see if there's a shield still down there or if you can see all way down to cast aluminum.
Just drained the oil, still close to 5 quarts in there but it does seem very runny.