Should I buy a 96 GT with blown up motor???

turp23

Jun 4, 2007
Louisiana
Should I buy a blown up '96

Currently, i own a 89 notch, with the mods listed in my sig. Its a great toy, but Im still working some bugs out. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a 96 from a family member, with a blown up motor. Let me elaborate on blown up. With the cruise set at 75 on interstate, a puff of smoke in rearview mirror, and motor dies. The entire top side of motor and engine compartment was covered in oil and antifreeze. Some sort of film on everything. From then on the motor has never been turned over again, to prevent further damage.

The 96 is loaded with aftermarket parts and goodies. Pipes, mufflers, headers, lowered, c&c plates, radiator and so forth. What kind of potential are we looking at here? How bad could the damage be? It would be a more secure car, a lot more comfort, newer, is there a downside compared to my 89?

My goal is to acheive a car that has obnoxious low end power and torque, but a daily driver. And loud too. Which direction should I go? :shrug:

I forgot to add that it is a GT.....

• Sponsors (?)

Could be a cracked intake. Those tend to be a weak point. If it were bad enough it could have caused a vacuum leak and shut the engine down. Sounds like you could have an easy fix...what part of Louisiana are your from?

Heres The deal. Im thinking about selling my 89, and buying a 96 GT with a blown up motor. The description I got was this; cruise set at 75 and all of a sudden the car started to slow down. A puff of smoke in the rearview mirror, and then the motor died. There is a residue in the engine compartment on the entire top of the motor, which is believed to be oil and coolant. The motor was never turned over once it died, to prevent further damage. The car has a lot of mods on it, just wondering ow bad you guys think it could be. Is it worth selling my mostly stock 89 notch, and putting my money into the GT? Are there as many performance parts available as the 5.0? LMK what you think.:shrug:

Sounds like a steal if the guys thinks it's a blown motor and it's just a cracked intake which happens often. Proly sell it to you cheap. While your in there, replace the cams and slap on a PI intake manifold to replace the busted one:nice:

Not saying that the intake didn't crack but he said there is oil everywhere also.
Oil dosen't flow throuigh the intake so where did it come from?
If it is a good price I would get it and have fun with a new toy.

Dwayne

I was thinking blown head gasket from the getgo. easy fix on these motors just buy the manual.

you can get a complete head changing kit for 114 from summit. I'm using that right now. it doesn't come with the intake manifold to heads gasket though, but those are only like $26 from summit as well.

still replace the intake manifold ($200) with a 01-04 and you could get a brand new set of patriot performance stage II heads for $1300.

with that you'd more/less have the same engine as a 01-04 gt

I just did the exact same thing too just so you know, bought a 99 with spun rod bearings and completely overhauled it, just waiting for the heads. its all together to that point. bought the car for $3700 like that (with exhaust, 18" wheels, and complete Alpine stereo system w/ custom box and 2 amps 300/340) and to overhaul the motor and valve job/port/polish the heads total cost it about $2000 with a couple other goodies :nice:

Currently, i own a 89 notch, with the mods listed in my sig. Its a great toy, but Im still working some bugs out. However, I have the opportunity to purchase a 96 from a family member, with a blown up motor. Let me elaborate on blown up. With the cruise set at 75 on interstate, a puff of smoke in rearview mirror, and motor dies. The entire top side of motor and engine compartment was covered in oil and antifreeze. Some sort of film on everything. From then on the motor has never been turned over again, to prevent further damage.

The 96 is loaded with aftermarket parts and goodies. Pipes, mufflers, headers, lowered, c&c plates, radiator and so forth. What kind of potential are we looking at here? How bad could the damage be? It would be a more secure car, a lot more comfort, newer, is there a downside compared to my 89?

My goal is to acheive a car that has obnoxious low end power and torque, but a daily driver. And loud too. Which direction should I go? :shrug:

I forgot to add that it is a GT.....
don't sell your notch!! those cars are getting harder to find everyday.. id keep your car and try to buy the 96.. i think you'll regret selling it if you do..