Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

IMG_6076.JPG
Left side is last week. Right side tonight. Just a fusion weld but the color is coming along finally. This is addicting to say the least

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Tanner, what kind of cup do you have on your torch? Do you have a gas lens?
#7 cup currently, I think I've just been using a standard collet body. I know a gas lense is the only way to go, I may even have some in my old TIG stuff. I'm not very good with all the terminology honestly.

Part of my issue is my filler rod is too large diameter for what I'm welding, but I've got the fusion stuff down pretty decent. My issue being I don't trust a fusion weld on the stuff I'm doing. Understanding the speed and heat has gone a long way. It's a little frustrating because my mild steel w/filler welds looked awesome today (I found some aluminum tube and suprisingly it looked pretty half decent too, I always remembered hating aluminum?)
IMG_6094.JPG

Anyways, I did what I always do and jumped in head first without experience or skill backing me up.
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6079.JPG

I don't have any close ups of the welding. Basically my weld ran parallel/on top of the existing vband weld making it appear much wider than it is. Consequently, my attempts to clean up any errors with filler made it turn out worse than it started. It's still plenty presentable in my own opinion, as long as the turbo doesn't fall off I'm calling it good. Learned a few things for the driver side header.
IMG_6082.JPG

Moved the turbo back a few inches which is great. Still some issues to work out if I'm honest but I intend to do the other side.
I tried out my other flanges that rotate the turbo 90* but the added length puts the turbo right back into the core support.
I guess I'll keep working on this whole layout.

One option is to do what a buddy of mine did last weekend and cut out some of the bay. It's not my favorite thing in the world but he did a clean job and it just works. Some people will have strong opinions about this option.
IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

W
hat has continued to creep into my mind though is the tubular front end. It would take care of every issue, I'm not sure what my hang up is with it...

#7 cup currently, I think I've just been using a standard collet body. I know a gas lense is the only way to go, I may even have some in my old TIG stuff. I'm not very good with all the terminology honestly.

Part of my issue is my filler rod is too large diameter for what I'm welding, but I've got the fusion stuff down pretty decent. My issue being I don't trust a fusion weld on the stuff I'm doing. Understanding the speed and heat has gone a long way. It's a little frustrating because my mild steel w/filler welds looked awesome today (I found some aluminum tube and suprisingly it looked pretty half decent too, I always remembered hating aluminum?)
IMG_6094.JPG

Anyways, I did what I always do and jumped in head first without experience or skill backing me up.
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6079.JPG

I don't have any close ups of the welding. Basically my weld ran parallel/on top of the existing vband weld making it appear much wider than it is. Consequently, my attempts to clean up any errors with filler made it turn out worse than it started. It's still plenty presentable in my own opinion, as long as the turbo doesn't fall off I'm calling it good. Learned a few things for the driver side header.
IMG_6082.JPG

Moved the turbo back a few inches which is great. Still some issues to work out if I'm honest but I intend to do the other side.
I tried out my other flanges that rotate the turbo 90* but the added length puts the turbo right back into the core support.
I guess I'll keep working on this whole layout.

One option is to do what a buddy of mine did last weekend and cut out some of the bay. It's not my favorite thing in the world but he did a clean job and it just works. Some people will have strong opinions about this option.
IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

W
hat has continued to creep into my mind though is the tubular front end. It would take care of every issue, I'm not sure what my hang up is with it...
Honestly? I think the tubular front end would be so damn cool in addition to the fact it would give you the space you need.

In your shoes, I would go ahead and do it myself.

And it would add a uniqueness to your mustang. Every time you open up the hood, you would think,"DAMN, that looks nice! I'm glad I did it."

Keeping your shield gas on your weld while it's hot is imperative if you want a clean weld. Failure to do so will leave you with a sugary, contaminated weld. Instead of nice shiny beads, you get those nasty gray ones. The standard cups create turbulence that allows atmosphere to whip in and foul the weld. Here is gas lens vs sandard.
IMG_0225.JPG

Here what a gas lens looks like. They have several different sizes of screen in them to smooth out your purge flow.
IMG_0226.JPG

Welders who weld alloy will put a valved Y in the argon line off the regulator/flow meter, and run a light flow of argon into a "purge box" made from aluminum foil that they fashion around the part they are welding to totally immerse the weld in the purge gas. Argon is heavier than air and settles out in the purge box to make a nice "pool" of purge gas to shield your weld from contamination. With alloys, this is critical.

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_6124.JPG
Finished up the headers. Had a buddy come over and help me brainstorm some other configurations but this is the one I'm happy with. Engine bay will stay intact this way.
Ordered a radiator as well.
IMG_6126.JPG

My Ultrabell came in. Still a little intimidated by the process of installing it so it's just gonna sit for the time being.
IMG_6128.JPG

Also started working on a new mounting bracket for my intercooler. Going to move it in a bit to help with bumper clearance. Unfortunately holiday duties ran me out of the garage so I can't do much else for a while.

Reactions: 5 users
IMG_6124.JPG
Finished up the headers. Had a buddy come over and help me brainstorm some other configurations but this is the one I'm happy with. Engine bay will stay intact this way.
Ordered a radiator as well.
IMG_6126.JPG

My Ultrabell came in. Still a little intimidated by the process of installing it so it's just gonna sit for the time being.
IMG_6128.JPG

Also started working on a new mounting bracket for my intercooler. Going to move it in a bit to help with bumper clearance. Unfortunately holiday duties ran me out of the garage so I can't do much else for a while.

What does replacing the bell consist of?

Joe

What does replacing the bell consist of?

Joe
Cutting the old one off with a sawzall/grinder and bolting the new one onto the pump face.
Just a matter of leaving an air gap between the case and bell, not destroying the case and not filling the transmission full of metal shavings (unless you decide to disassemble it entirely, the pump has to be removed regardless)

Reactions: 1 user
After all you've done ! You can do it...like Steve told me...." Don't be a wuss " Lol.

I'd really enjoy reading about how you got it done.

It's on my list of stuff to do at some point. It's a rather long list.

I picked up my engine management during Black Friday as well as some exhaust rings, crazy long plug wires and a slip yoke so I can measure for my driveshaft and maybe have this nice aluminum driveshaft I've stashed away trimmed a few inches. Stifflers 10% off sale lured me into getting that fancy driveshaft loop as well so I've got a NIB Jegs driveshaft loop to unload.
That leaves me with a fuel system, converter and various little odds and ends to get it somewhat mobile. I've got enough to keep me busy while I collect more cans.

Trying to work my way through what various size and shape elbows I'll need for the cold side at work and it's proving impossible without the car and a tape measure in front of me so I'll try to figure it out after work.
I did end up finishing the intercooler mount. I made it out of materials I had sitting on my shelf and I wish I'd had some better options but it will work fine for the time being.
IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

The inlet side will tuck nicely under the headlight and over the bumper support. 3" tube pictured but will be 2.5" in and a larger 3" out to the throttlebody.

Progress :shrug:

It's on my list of stuff to do at some point. It's a rather long list.

I picked up my engine management during Black Friday as well as some exhaust rings, crazy long plug wires and a slip yoke so I can measure for my driveshaft and maybe have this nice aluminum driveshaft I've stashed away trimmed a few inches. Stifflers 10% off sale lured me into getting that fancy driveshaft loop as well so I've got a NIB Jegs driveshaft loop to unload.
That leaves me with a fuel system, converter and various little odds and ends to get it somewhat mobile. I've got enough to keep me busy while I collect more cans.

Trying to work my way through what various size and shape elbows I'll need for the cold side at work and it's proving impossible without the car and a tape measure in front of me so I'll try to figure it out after work.
I did end up finishing the intercooler mount. I made it out of materials I had sitting on my shelf and I wish I'd had some better options but it will work fine for the time being.
IMG_6143.JPG

IMG_6153.JPG

The inlet side will tuck nicely under the headlight and over the bumper support. 3" tube pictured but will be 2.5" in and a larger 3" out to the throttlebody.

Progress :shrug:

All of this fab work phase is the only part where the words harmony, cohesive, and fits well" will ever be used in your updates again. Start adding wires, hoses, other accessories, and sheet metal back into the equation and all of that meticulously laid out stuff becomes buried........under miles of other harmonious, cohesive, and well fitting pieces that are layered on top.

All of this fab work phase is the only part where the words harmony, cohesive, and fits well" will ever be used in your updates again. Start adding wires, hoses, other accessories, and sheet metal back into the equation and all of that meticulously laid out stuff becomes buried........under miles of other harmonious, cohesive, and well fitting pieces that are layered on top.
You're not wrong.
I'll have radiator hoses, wastegate plumbing and oil lines for the turbo there. Only so much harness you can hide. But compared to a stock engine bay I'm hoping to look less like a rat nest and more like maybe a rat vacation home?

LOL what don't you like about it? and what version are you looking at? some versions do have a level of sucky

Edit: I finally got it to update to v3.0.14. It is vastly more tolerable.
The only other experience I had with MS is using MS2 (which is what I downloaded last night).
MS2 sucks.

Last edited:
That's the newest update, I am very familiar with it so if you need anything shoot me a message. I suggest the 3.4.2 firmware with ms2...

The ms3 stuff I haven't dealt with much, but I have done extensive reading. it's just ms2 with bells and whistles.

That's the newest update, I am very familiar with it so if you need anything shoot me a message. I suggest the 3.4.2 firmware with ms2...

The ms3 stuff I haven't dealt with much, but I have done extensive reading. it's just ms2 with bells and whistles.
Not sure when my MS3 Pro setup will get delivered but apparently it comes with access to the registered edition of tunerstudio so I guess I've got that to look forward to. I appreciate the offer, I'm sure I'll need some help

Not sure when my MS3 Pro setup will get delivered but apparently it comes with access to the registered edition of tunerstudio so I guess I've got that to look forward to. I appreciate the offer, I'm sure I'll need some help
No problem, I suggest the TS ultra it's a little extra but the differences for the beginner are huge. (Read it's easier with more in depth explanations) you no longer have to reference the manual separately.

Time saver.

Reactions: 2 users
Today was my one day off work so I spent it installing a door knob and fixing our shower. After that I sat down (again) to sort out my coldside. I need ~$200 in supplies, which isn't all that much but I hate the idea of buying stuff I don't need or worse, the wrong stuff. So I got on the supplier website and found their diagrams for the 2.5" and 3" tubing, drew it out on cardboard and mocked it up. It looks crude but told me exactly what I needed. Something's only stupid if it doesn't work I guess. Hopefully the supplies will be in when I'm off in a couple weeks and I can finish this aspect of the build.

IMG_6295.JPG

Reactions: 2 users